• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Kindle Fire 7 2019 Heaphone out impedance? (and Music App & HP reco.)

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I picked up one of these tablets a little while ago.
Haven't completely rooted it, but over on XDA forums the executable exploit is available, which gives root user access in a terminal.
After getting root access and binning (or blocking) a ton of OEM crap-ware, including the terrible Amazon launcher, replacing with LauncherHijack and Nova Launcher, it doesn't such at all.

Anyone got a clue what the headphone output impedance is on this thing? It's a cheap as f**k tablet, basically sold at a loss (you are buying an advertising platform), but I wonder how good or bad the internal DAC sounds.

I was considering some HD280 Pros, 'cause they ain't too pricey (~£85 on Sennheiser's own site) and seem reasonably well built with good isolation and reasonable sonics. I understand sound quality and leakage is dependent on the wearers head - and I may not get on with them at all. They're also apparently quite tight.
I'd prefer closed back to better isolate outside sounds, whilst I do understand that open back just sound better and let your ears breathe.
Beyerdynamic DT7700Pro 32 or 80 Ohm also seemed like a decent option for maybe a little more cost.

For now, I was thinking to just connect as is, using internal DAC/HP amp. Also use with PC (X370 motherboard / Realtek ALC1220) which has adjustable impedance, however good that is. General other use - so really low impedance/easier to drive makes more sense.
Eventually if I spend a lot of time headphone listening, I'll buy an amp like the Atom, or go the DAC/Amp route with a DX3Po or such.

I stuffed on Foobar2000 for Android, and it plays, but doesn't support HiRes at least it didn't to the Topping D10 DAC, which otherwise worked fine with an OTG-cable!
Anyone know of a music player app that is free and supports HiRes and DSD?

Cheers!

garbulky

Major Contributor
I picked up one of these tablets a little while ago.
Haven't completely rooted it, but over on XDA forums the executable exploit is available, which gives root user access in a terminal.
After getting root access and binning (or blocking) a ton of OEM crap-ware, including the terrible Amazon launcher, replacing with LauncherHijack and Nova Launcher, it doesn't such at all.

Anyone got a clue what the headphone output impedance is on this thing? It's a cheap as f**k tablet, basically sold at a loss (you are buying an advertising platform), but I wonder how good or bad the internal DAC sounds.

I was considering some HD280 Pros, 'cause they ain't too pricey (~£85 on Sennheiser's own site) and seem reasonably well built with good isolation and reasonable sonics. I understand sound quality and leakage is dependent on the wearers head - and I may not get on with them at all. They're also apparently quite tight.
I'd prefer closed back to better isolate outside sounds, whilst I do understand that open back just sound better and let your ears breathe.
Beyerdynamic DT7700Pro 32 or 80 Ohm also seemed like a decent option for maybe a little more cost.

For now, I was thinking to just connect as is, using internal DAC/HP amp. Also use with PC (X370 motherboard / Realtek ALC1220) which has adjustable impedance, however good that is. General other use - so really low impedance/easier to drive makes more sense.
Eventually if I spend a lot of time headphone listening, I'll buy an amp like the Atom, or go the DAC/Amp route with a DX3Po or such.

I stuffed on Foobar2000 for Android, and it plays, but doesn't support HiRes at least it didn't to the Topping D10 DAC, which otherwise worked fine with an OTG-cable!
Anyone know of a music player app that is free and supports HiRes and DSD?

Cheers!
I have used these quite a lot with different sennheiser headphones from a 200 series to the HD600.
At 300 ohm impedance it plays sound but not loudly at max settings. It's not really great as a headphone amp but you will hear some music.

OP
L5730

L5730

Oh, it's around the 300 ohm ballpark :s eek!

Yeah, sure, I don't expect anything amazing from the inbuilt DAC. C'mon the entire tablet cost as much as just a low-res screen for a RaspberryPi or less than a RPi 3B+. The sound output is going to be where the 1c/1p parts were used ;)
It did seem relatively quiet through the desktop speakers I have, and that was a full tilt too. Gonna be quiet.

I guess I should just buy a portable amp, maybe something like a FiiO and run that from the OTG and run headphones from the FiiO in this case.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Oh, it's around the 300 ohm ballpark :s eek!

Yeah, sure, I don't expect anything amazing from the inbuilt DAC. C'mon the entire tablet cost as much as just a low-res screen for a RaspberryPi or less than a RPi 3B+. The sound output is going to be where the 1c/1p parts were used ;)
It did seem relatively quiet through the desktop speakers I have, and that was a full tilt too. Gonna be quiet.

I guess I should just buy a portable amp, maybe something like a FiiO and run that from the OTG and run headphones from the FiiO in this case.
My Fire 7 with OTG cable works great with a D10 and Liquid Spark. But I did need to switch to an OTG cable with power in to get the D 10 to work consistently..

OP
L5730

L5730

@Cahudson42 what music player app are you using?
The D10 seems to be fine with a cheaper sub £1 USB OTG cable I got. Because of the handy sample rate display on the D10 I can see Foobar2000 isn't playing music at it's native sample rate, but resampling to 44.1kHz instead.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
@Cahudson42 what music player app are you using?
The D10 seems to be fine with a cheaper sub £1 USB OTG cable I got. Because of the handy sample rate display on the D10 I can see Foobar2000 isn't playing music at it's native sample rate, but resampling to 44.1kHz instead.
I am using the new Amazon Music HD - the D10 showing 44.1 ((16/44.1)..

Top Bottom