• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full Range Speakers, under $5k

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I'm considering getting a pair of passive speakers which have enough bass (flat to below 30hz) to not need a sub, extreme bass heads excepted. The Revel F208 looks interesting. Any other ideas?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the Revels will be tough to beat if your $5K limit is firm. They sound a lot like Salon2s, but can't go as loud or quite as deep.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Agree with @MSNWatch on the PSB Imagine T3. Check out Mark's review on these: https://www.avsforum.com/psb-imagine-t3-tower-speakers-review/
Also like how they measured in-room in the article. Nice and smooth with the downward slope. Good response to 20 Hz.

While they do look competent I think it is not really possible to judge a speaker by in-room response and without seeing it's spinorama chart.

Pretty much every decent speaker can be equalised to have flat on-axis in-room response, but directivity index (which cannot be measured in room) might differ very much and it has been proved by Toole's research it has huge impact on SQ.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I think the Revels will be tough to beat if your $5K limit is firm. They sound a lot like Salon2s, but can't go as loud or quite as deep.

.. which is hardly worth the differences in price between them. :D

Yep, F208 is indeed hard to beat for that money.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Don't forget, PSB designer Paul Barton uses the NRC anechoic chamber where Toole and Olive also worked and collaborated together While there is not a spinorama for these speakers, I have heard them and their off axis response. Sound excellent. Btw, the in-room measurements were not of eq'd speakers and hit the "preferred" in-room target response as per Sean Olive's extensive subjecting listening tests and in-room objective measurements. It is worth looking up the research. Based on that, I suggest that these speakers are properly designed and hopefully in the future a spinorama will be available. Till then I hope @Ron Texas gets a chance to hear both the F208 and the T3.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Don't forget, PSB designer Paul Barton uses the NRC anechoic chamber where Toole and Olive also worked and collaborated together While there is not a spinorama for these speakers, I have heard them and their off axis response. Sound excellent. Btw, the in-room measurements were not of eq'd speakers and hit the "preferred" in-room target response as per Sean Olive's extensive subjecting listening tests and in-room objective measurements. It is worth looking up the research. Based on that, I suggest that these speakers are properly designed and hopefully in the future a spinorama will be available. Till then I hope @Ron Texas gets a chance to hear both the F208 and the T3.

I agree - that measurement (average of 8 sweeps around LP) looks "by the book" after 400Hz which points to a seriously done design job.

Still, I can't justify that manufacturer which uses anechoic chamber for development is not publishing spinorama chart as part of the specs for speakers that cost $7500.

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ron Texas, you like the LS50s, right? So, KEF towers? Check Accessories 4 Less, if you're open to factory refurbs with warranty.

Biblob

I agree - that measurement (average of 8 sweeps around LP) looks "by the book" after 400Hz which points to a seriously done design job.

Still, I can't justify that manufacturer which uses anechoic chamebr for development is not publishing spinorama chart as part of the specs for speakers that cost $7500.
Always so strict. :p

mitchco

Audio Company

Krunok

Major Contributor
Don't forget, PSB designer Paul Barton uses the NRC anechoic chamber where Toole and Olive also worked and collaborated together While there is not a spinorama for these speakers, I have heard them and their off axis response. Sound excellent.

As you happen to like your JBLs (and I'm willing to bet their spinorama chart wouldn't be stellar) I'm not really sure if your subjective judgement should be trusted. :D :D

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Krunok until consumers start demanding spinorama charts, not much is going to happen. I am writing an educational article on the ANSI/CTA 2034 Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers for awareness that one can download for free here: https://www.cta.tech/Research-Standards/Standards.aspx?search=2034

The only place I know that is curating a catalog of spins is: https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/

You are absolutely right!

I believe all audio community will very much appreciate yours (and some other folks) efforts in spreading knowledge and awareness of the importance of following ANSI/CTA 2034 (or Harman spinorama) standard.

ob1

Forum Donor
I had looked at PSB T3 but could not afford them. I have settled for the PSB X2T which are nowehere as good looking as the T3, but I felt they came close to the T3, spec wise and their retail price is around 1,600.00CAD$.

While I certainly wouldn't complain if PSB were to publish spinorama, I still feel their specs are honest and more detailed than what many manufacturers disclose. I had measured my pair with REW and my pair was closely matched, >500khz on axis within about +-1 dB if I recall correctly.

Should you require some in-room measurements, I could and try and find the time to post a few. I have just bought Acourate and have started to play around with it, many thanks to Mitch for his very helpful book and to Uli for his world class support, btw.

PSB Imagine X2T specs
On Axis @ 0° ±3dB
30-23,000Hz
On Axis @ 0° ±1 1/2dB
40-20,000Hz
Off Axis @ 30° ±1 1/2dB
45-10,000Hz
LF Cutoff -10dB
28Hz

P.S. My wife hate their looks, find them too big and would not allow me to place them in our living room. I gave the kid's playroom a try, but yet again, she felt they were at risks of hurting the kids at around 50 lbs each (23 kgs each). Now I have a pair sitting in their boxes, but I do not want to sell them, since I feel it will very difficult to find a substitute. Waiting for the kids to grow up...

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
PSB Imagine T3
Elac Adante AF-61 currently on close out- 3k for the pair with free shipping here:
https://tmraudio.com/shop-new/speak...ker-af-61-single-speaker-new-w-full-warranty/
Same place has a used f208 for a similar price.

PSB is way more than $5k, not just a little bit more. Once you hit $7500, why not go all the way to $10k?
The link provided is very interesting, thanks. Will research the Adante's.

@Ron Texas, you like the LS50s, right? So, KEF towers? Check Accessories 4 Less, if you're open to factory refurbs with warranty.

I have checked accessories4less. New R11's are $5k, but they don't go low enough.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The room is 13.5x18 with opening into a hallway in one corner about 60sf with a door at the far end and a 25 sf nook in the same corner as the hall. The ceiling is 9' high in the center and 6.5 at the long walls. The front wall is one of the long walls. I have resisted using the short wall because my TV covers up a nice window and on the other long wall is a large storage unit which would have to be removed.

Should I be looking at something smaller than the F208's and let room gain do the rest of the job? Remember, I want to ditch the sub.

MSNWatch

monkeyboy

I'm also looking for a set of full range speakers at a reasonable price, but for the whole system, amp included. Currently I'm thinking a pair of Goldenear T2+'s with a small-ish amp (may just use my 75W Onkyo) since they come with powered low freq drivers. The system cost should be reasonable.

I'm now considering Pro gear, I saw in another thread you were as well. Being industrial gear they should be pretty robust, and fairly neutral in sound.

Have you rulled out studio monitors? If so may I ask why?

Top Bottom