• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Fuses! Guaranteed to “totally transform” your listening experience.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...but be too subtle to distinguish in a blind test. But my wife heard it from the kitchen.

Naturally, a fight breaks out in the thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/something-for-the-fuse-guys/post?postid=1809190

I swear, Audiogon gets crazier by the day, with Kait and Teo as the ringleaders.

Yeah, I did my time debating in one of the long fuse threads on audiogon.

Sigh....

"everything makes a difference, and you'll only experience it if you are open minded and try it in your system."

Victoria

"everything makes a difference, and you'll only experience it if you are open minded and try it in your system."

Sigh indeed. If you're going to be open-minded to any good god damned bullscheiße then you sure as hell should also be open-minded to critical thinking and the recognition of choice-supportive bias. Shit like this is how religious cults are born and it's aggravating to no end; not just because of the perplexing stupidity at display, but also because it is extremely difficult for me to not cringe in absolute disbelief while fueling an internal fury of angst which subsequently accelerates my aging against all the time and effort I put into maintaining my youthful face.

The amount of boneheaded crap I also see in the vast world of scummy cosmetic products which may as well just promise you the second coming of yourself as you grace the lands and rapture everybody with your newfound undying angelic beauty makes me want to take a hammer to my router so that I can at least preserve my sanity away from the internet.

My bigger question is though: if you're going to believe anything without substantiating your beliefs with solid evidence then why not just save your money and believe that whatever you *already* own is the best thing ever in the universe?

I'm really good at that :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Fuses IN the audio-path at the output of an amplifier can actually add measurable distortion at high listening levels that at least border on audibility thresholds.
Some old designs did this. Some have their output fuses in the feedback loop (which removes the distortion largely).

Most fuses are in the power supply path (secondary side) or in the primary part to avoid components going up in flames when something inside shorts that can cause high currents. Changing these can not change the sound, anymore than changing a power cable can.
A lot of transformers had/have thermal fuses in them... try to replace those (when not accessible)

Victoria

Yeah well don't give them anymore ideas lest some numbskull decides to rip out the PTC inside the transformer of their gear and burns their house down (transformer shorts can become serious fun for sure). The more I think about this though the more I feel like having to hop into the shower to help reset my thoughts a little bit (and hopefully into more serene territory) before more of my brain cells begin to commit suicide.

Now that I think about however: how can *anyone* believe that a fuse wire that's maybe 2 centimeters long (assuming BS1362 here, but anyway) is going to make a difference in relation to the hundreds of centimeters of copper that's inside your average transformer let alone the rest of the circuit and oh let's not forget about all those pesky inductors everywhere either (particularly in crossovers).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The best sounding fuses, cables, connectors always seem to be the most expensive ones.

Come to think of thos .....I can sell you cables, connectors and fuses for extremely high prices and will throw in free insured shipping worldwide.
Guaranteed the best sounding materials have been used.
The stuff one will receive will look like ordinary generic stuff, sometimes looks can be deceiving.
This is done on purpose so when thieves enter your home they will take away your expensive audio gear but leave the fuses, cables and connectors.
Then you can claim those items from your insurance and when they come to check will only see you are now using cheap generic stuff.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Fuses IN the audio-path at the output of an amplifier can actually add measurable distortion at high listening levels that at least border on audibility thresholds.
With audio equipment, fuses are often used in the AC power supply & the DC power supply and occasionally in the audio output of power amplifiers. Note that the audiophiles that claim hearing differences, almost never state which of the three locations the fuse was in.
Yes fuses in the output of an amplifier can have measurable distortion, but audible distortion? not so much. With modern test equipment & techniques extremely low levels of distortion can be measured.
Bob Cordell in his 2011 book 'Designing Audio Power Amplifiers' did measure fuse distortion. At 20 Hz, he calculated fuse distortion to be 0.0033%.
(page 269)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Some people claim they can hear the difference between SINAD 110 and 90... and that would be 0.0033% (-90dB) ;):p:D:oops::rolleyes:
Perhaps the distortion of resettable fuses could be higher ?

disclaimer: I am not a fuse nor cable believer

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Fuse or relay, that is the question! At least around here porcelain fuses with silver wire are going to extinction..
Should I get worried?
Kuva-8281.jpg

or
normal_tam290513_3660.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@solderdude Do you generally use Littelfuse in your designs?

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You really have to look at the last few posts there. Long lists of assertions that are completely without evidence. “We know all wire is directional”, etc.

I’d be willing to put up several thousand for a blind test challenge on cable directionality. They get more than 12/20 IDs right, blind, with someone randomly changing direction on one speaker cable, they win. Otherwise we win. Anyone want to join me?

Should be easy, since it is so obvious. We could throw in a fuse, too.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude Do you generally use Littelfuse in your designs?

TE5 fuses when I am quite certain they won't blow that often.
Occasionally I use PCB traces with a specified width and create pads on both ends so when it blows one can solder in a fuse.
5x20 glass when there is a chance a user may blow one by accident.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out"

Zog

...but be too subtle to distinguish in a blind test. But my wife heard it from the kitchen.

Naturally, a fight breaks out in the thread.
That is to say - they blow their fuses. Which I guess proves the fuse believers right. :eek:

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My bigger question is though: if you're going to believe anything without substantiating your beliefs with solid evidence then why not just save your money and believe that whatever you *already* own is the best thing ever in the universe?

Amen! Unfortunately the prevailing belief system equates cost with quality.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some old designs did this. Some have their output fuses in the feedback loop (which removes the distortion largely).

Most fuses are in the power supply path (secondary side) or in the primary part to avoid components going up in flames when something inside shorts that can cause high currents. Changing these can not change the sound, anymore than changing a power cable can.
A lot of transformers had/have thermal fuses in them... try to replace those (when not accessible)

shirt. The industry missed the opportunity with audiophile-transparent power cables.

Top Bottom