• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar or JRiver

Foobar VS JRiver

• Foobar

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • JRiver

Votes: 54 27.6%
  • Other (Mention below)

Votes: 37 18.9%

• Total voters

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Smiths' work I liked, but Morrissey solo not so much with his distasteful political views... :confused:

"The Queen is Dead" is in my top 5 album ever. But yeah, solo Morrissey isn't on par. Jonny Marr what the genius.

The drums can be a bit harsh on the CDs I have though.

Toni71

Kodi. Free. No clicking noise on my dac on usb, because of the option to keep the audio channel active. Also the option for sending white noise.
Tidal plugin. With this config, i can switch tracks without relais clicking in my dac.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kodi. Free. No clicking noise on my dac on usb, because of the option to keep the audio channel active. Also the option for sending white noise.
Tidal plugin. With this config, i can switch tracks without relais clicking in my dac.

u got me puzzled. kodi (on Android) is heavy, and don't find it particularly user firendly. I use it on my Amazon FireTV for movies.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Kodi's claim to fame is it can scrape video sites.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
A suckless (a software minimalism movement) player I made with a simple optional interface. I used mpd and cmus a lot before, but wanted something simpler and more modular; mainly to get random but fair album shuffle (albums with a lower playcount have a higher probability of being picked).

Attachments

• mus.png
    mus.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 2019-09-11_21:37:08.jpg
    2019-09-11_21:37:08.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209

Toni71

I am using Kodi on a htpc. With a remote control. I have also Sharky codecs installed for media playback and a Tidal plugin. There are two plugins for Tidal. I use the Tidal2 version. That one has a better layout from whats on my Tidal account.

For my solution, Kodi with output Wasapi usb to my dac without clicking noise it is perfect.

I am using Kodi a long time, so i am used to it. I only use Tidal or Qobuz for music.

maty

Major Contributor
This week I managed to improve a little more, via software, twice, and so I listen to the music now. The first one was a trial and error, and I did not expect it!

Since I have JRiver MC WDM driver installed I decided to try other output devices from foobar2000 (updated to the latest 1.5 beta15). With KS : JRVAD Wave the sound is indifferent from the JRiver MC, which is the one that is really responsible for processing the audio files, foobar2000 being a mere interface.

But, here, I try DSD : KS JRVAD Wave and the sound has more bass and is more analog!!!!

foobar2000-output-dsd-ks-jrvad_wave.png

Appears, I think, thanks to the great plugin SACD -Super Audio CD Decoder- for foobar2000 (updated too).

Once again I confirm that as a foobar2000 player it is inferior, at least in my systems. Playing music from my tweaked ODAC USB. The 24/192 mono vinyl rip is reproduced from foobar2000 with Resampler SoX mod at 24/96. I hate the implementation of SoX in JRiver MC.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-are-we-listening-to-right-now.40/post-232063

Konitz-meets-Mulligan-foobar2000-output-dsd-ks-jrvad_wave.png

PS: I have retouched parameters of the SACD plugin and the sound does not change. So the interesting thing is the new output device. In JRMC I have deactivated the Resampler (DSP -> [ ] Output Format). And all that has to do with DSD is untouched, they are the default values.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Just now, playing the great album again.

Process-Lasso-foobar2000-JRMC-both-WDM.png

PS: the green bump was the windows process Tiworker.exe, 25% CPU. I killed. It had been a while since it happened. I am always checking the processes, in case there is any malicious.

-> https://www.google.com/search?q=tiworker+exe

Last edited:

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It looks like I'm the only one here still using Winamp as my main player. I just never felt a need to transition to something else. The main features it has that I can't part with is the media library and the quick search option. It also has many other features that I can't live without, like lyrics, fade out at pause and fade in at play, the queue behavior and quick access to file info.

I also use the Deezer desktop app to listen to lossless files that I don't have in local storage.

For equalizer I also use EqualizerAPO which affects the sound output globally, which makes it very convenient to switch between winamp and deezer.

MOCKBA

I am out of luck using Windows, therefore Music-barrel on Linux and Kamerton on Android. Both can play ISO SACD. Unfortunately they can't play Wavpack containered DSD, but promised to add a support soon. On a plus note, both are a potential hack protected.

maty

Major Contributor
Very interesting player with awful face. It works with JRMC WDM driver. I like the SoX implementation, the VST 64-bit and... has own Kernel Streaming!

But foobar2000 with DSD : KS : JRVAD Wave has better sound. I am intrigued and can not find anything on the net about it!!! Playing PCM files.

ceausuc

Very interesting player with awful face. It works with JRMC WDM driver. I like the SoX implementation, the VST 64-bit and... has own Kernel Streaming!

But foobar2000 with DSD : KS : JRVAD Wave has better sound. I am intrigued and can not find anything on the net about it!!! Playing PCM files.

I believe i read somewhere that the programmer (a russian guy) doesn't speak english so.. besides russian forums there isn't really much info.
Have you also entered into the Linux world? Ever tried ( my absolute favorite :) ) http://wtfplay-project.org/ ?

maty

Major Contributor
Linux? UNIX and without graphic interface before Linux arose :). But with Linux I have never been able to optimize it for multimedia like with W10, which I find frustrating. Now I take a look, and thank you!

maty

Major Contributor
Multimedia without graphic interface is very uncomfortable if you have a huge collection. The logical thing is to implement an environment like XFCE, my choose with Manjaro.

ISO of only 24 MB.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linux? UNIX and without graphic interface before Linux arose :). But with Linux I have never been able to optimize it for multimedia like with W10, which I find frustrating. Now I take a look, and thank you!

What optimization do you think it would need?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"The Queen is Dead" is in my top 5 album ever. But yeah, solo Morrissey isn't on par. Jonny Marr what the genius.

The drums can be a bit harsh on the CDs I have though.
The remasters are worth checking out, but the basic recording quality wasn't high sadly. The music makes up for it though.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The remasters are worth checking out, but the basic recording quality wasn't high sadly. The music makes up for it though.

Cymbals sound harsh on the CD I have (out before the remaster). Still, there is plenty to listen to in the background of the first track.

Top Bottom