• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Nejiro

actually the problem is with a dsd album and I focused on that, tonight when I come back from work I also try other files .... Anyway I can say that I have the same problem on two different PCs, one with foobar and one with jriver .....

Oukkidoukki

First impressions: Space around the instruments is easier to detect compared to older dacs, layering of instruments is good, I can easily follow bass line thru the song........in some songs I can hear noise from the analog mixing console, that I couldn’t hear before.......I need to investigate more with better setup , but so far so good.

Oukkidoukki

Also....my questimation for those who considers these new dacs bright, harsh in treble or something like that....it is not the dac but something that comes after it....amps, headphones, cables, speakers......better resolution in dac shows the faults in the rest of the system..

wyup

I'm an owner of the SU-8 rev.2 and I'd like to know something that springs to mind comparing this unit to Topping D50.
Does it have op-amps?
D50 for comparison has 3 x OPA1612 for LPF according to their webpage, and D50S has 2 x OPA1612 and 1 x swappable LME4720.

Sak

jhyuns06

So, I bought Topping’s DX7s few days ago, and I am liking it a lot.
However, after getting it, I ran across that DX7s has high output impedance which a lot of people seem to care to the point using different headphone amp.
I was going to get either MD THX or MP THX amp down the line, but if I am going to do that anyways, I felt like I might as well just get SU-8 v2 and stick to my old headphone amp. (ifi Micro iCAN)

So, what I want to ask is, how do the DAC part of the DX7s compares to SU-8 v2?

I paid 424 CAD (~= 320 USD) for my DX7s and I can get SU-8 V2 from MD for 200 or 212 USD from Shenzhen Audio.

Shane D

Forum Donor
So, I bought Topping’s DX7s few days ago, and I am liking it a lot.
However, after getting it, I ran across that DX7s has high output impedance which a lot of people seem to care to the point using different headphone amp.
I was going to get either MD THX or MP THX amp down the line, but if I am going to do that anyways, I felt like I might as well just get SU-8 v2 and stick to my old headphone amp. (ifi Micro iCAN)

I paid 424 CAD (~= 320 USD) for my DX7s and I can get SU-8 V2 from MD for 200 or 212 USD from Shenzhen Audio.

If you're going to buy, do it from Shenzhen Audio. My landed cost in Nova Scotia was about $285.00. Drop will cost you about $335.00.

jhyuns06

If you're going to buy, do it from Shenzhen Audio. My landed cost in Nova Scotia was about $285.00. Drop will cost you about $335.00.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely do that.

Is there a reason why Drop ends up being more expensive?

Also, since you chimed in, what do you think about my situation?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

The DAC portions of the DX7s and the SU-8 v2 appear to be of equal quality, both being well-designed / well-engineered. (The review of the DX7s is here.)
  1. Check out the SINAD chart. The SU-8 v2 is at 110 (for both XLR and RCA) and the DX7s is at 108. Both excellent.
  2. Both DACs have the "ESS hump" when you look at the intermodulation distortion test. Less than perfect but that's an issue with the ESS chip, not an issue with the design / implentation of either DAC.
At this level of performance I can't imagine any of the (very slight) differences in measurement between the two would translate into an audible difference.

Good advice. Being in the U.S. I usually forget that Drop is typically a mediocre (or worse) option for non-U.S. folks because of the shipping costs.

Shane D

Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely do that.

Is there a reason why Drop ends up being more expensive?

Also, since you chimed in, what do you think about my situation?

Shenzhen is a little more imaginative with the paperwork resulting in a lower landed price.

I have never heard the DX7S and so can't really comment.

I did have an iFi MICRO iCann SE a while back. It had lots of power but was boring to me. However I think they have the best implementation of bass boost ever. And the 3D option is cool.

Shane D

Shane D

Forum Donor
Good advice. Being in the U.S. I usually forget that Drop is typically a mediocre (or worse) option for non-U.S. folks because of the shipping costs.

It is not the shipping. The MD shipping rates are Very reasonable. MD is $200.00 + shipping. Shenzhen Audio is $212.49, shipping in. It is pretty much even.

However, Shenzhen is more creative in regards to the paperwork.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It is not the shipping. The MD shipping rates are Very reasonable. MD is $200.00 + shipping. Shenzhen Audio is $212.49, shipping in. It is pretty much even.

However, Shenzhen is more creative in regards to the paperwork.

The thing with MD is that its shipping from NJ to Oregon (my shipping forwarder office) can take longer than my Aliexpress shipment out of China sent to me at more than 2X the distance. Its ridiculous !

Shane D

Forum Donor
The thing with MD is that its shipping from NJ to Oregon (my shipping forwarder office) can take longer than my Aliexpress shipment out of China sent to me at more than 2X the distance. Its ridiculous !

I'll bet Shenzhen Audio would be quicker for you on the west coast.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I'll bet Shenzhen Audio would be quicker for you on the west coast.

Oh, I'm not located within the US. I have to use a forwarder service for some products that do not ship out of the US.

Shane D

Forum Donor
If you live west of the west coast, I would guess that buying direct from Asia is Much cheaper and faster?

Shane D

jhyuns06

Shenzhen is a little more imaginative with the paperwork resulting in a lower landed price.

I have never heard the DX7S and so can't really comment.

I did have an iFi MICRO iCann SE a while back. It had lots of power but was boring to me. However I think they have the best implementation of bass boost ever. And the 3D option is cool.

Shane D

Thanks, I am being really indecisive with this. Keep DX7s? Get SU-8 V2? Get D70? I am lost.

And mine was the original Micro iCAN that ifi for some reason made its existence to be gone from their website. I can't even get manuals anymore. They are ok, but most of their product had really bad QC. I had to go through 3 replacements on my Nano iDSD and one replacement for the Micro iCAN. It was bad experience in general, after few years of use, my headphone out is failing on Micro iCAN so I am on my haunt for new devices!

Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Thanks, I am being really indecisive with this. Keep DX7s? Get SU-8 V2? Get D70? I am lost.

I'd start by reviewing the measurements for each:
If you're trying to decide based on DAC performance (measurements) then -- in my opinion -- the decision is easy: keep the DX7s. All three of these DACs measure fairly close to each other, and -- depending on the difference in measurement -- it's going to be highly unlikely or impossible for the slight differences to be audible. Plus if you keep the DX7s you can use the money you save on a new HE amp or new headphones. (You may also find the the high output impedance of the DX7s amp is desirable if you own high impedance headphones.)

You may have reasons besides DAC performance (features, build quality, aesthetics, etc.) that are really important to you that would cause you to want to buy a new DAC. But based on the measured performance of the 3 DACs that you list I don't think there would be any audible difference between them. So if you're happy with the DX7s I'd say keep it.

Shane D

Forum Donor

And mine was the original Micro iCAN that ifi for some reason made its existence to be gone from their website. I can't even get manuals anymore. They are ok, but most of their product had really bad QC. I had to go through 3 replacements on my Nano iDSD and one replacement for the Micro iCAN. It was bad experience in general, after few years of use, my headphone out is failing on Micro iCAN so I am on my haunt for new devices!

Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it.

First thing I should ask is are you happy with the DX7S?
Or do you just have the upgrade itch?

Life is certainly a lot easier, and cheaper, with a DAC/amp. I went the DAC and amp route for the flexibility. Which worked out well since I enjoy using the Schiit Loki between amps and the DAC.

Does the DX7S sound good with your current 'phones?

jhyuns06

If you're trying to decide based on DAC performance (measurements) then -- in my opinion -- the decision is easy: keep the DX7s.

Thanks for the conclusion. I was thinking about it for few days, and that was the conclusion I came to.

First thing I should ask is are you happy with the DX7S?
Or do you just have the upgrade itch?

Life is certainly a lot easier, and cheaper, with a DAC/amp. I went the DAC and amp route for the flexibility. Which worked out well since I enjoy using the Schiit Loki between amps and the DAC.

Does the DX7S sound good with your current 'phones?

I am quite happy with it! And I got my DX7s few days ago new for 324 USD which I think is pretty good price. But I thought, since I am planning to buy THX headphone amp either from Monoprice or Massdrop anyways, I thought I would be better off investing in standalone DAC.

But I think I will just keep DX7s. I like its functionality, sound, and design. It’s just that down the line when I do get the amp, I have to use Y splitter for my XLR output since my power amp for my speakers are also using balanced input. I just wish I can find good headphone amp with balanced input that also has preout in XLR.

But I think I am asking for too much ;)

I only had time to test DX7s with my 712Pro. I still have to test it with my HD600 and Sony Z7. I really liked it with my 712Pro though.

Top Bottom