• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

ayane

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, has the RME ADI-2 Pro fs been measured? I've seen the measurements for the non-fs ADI-2 Pro, which had worse jitter performance.

I own and use one as both an ADC and DAC, as well as both a pre-amp and headphone amp. I'm willing to send it in for measurements later this year if it hasn't already been measured.

ayane

Forum Donor

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
fiio q5s!

https://www.fiio.com/q5s

this is a respin of the q5 with a new dual differential dac phase based on 2x ak4493

the am3e amplifier module that comes with it has the same topology as the fiio K3 but higher supply voltage. the new balanced am3d module uses the THX AAA opa 2x and is much more interesting, so it would be great to see how that performs when paired with the new dac stage. this whole setup is pretty pricey but is possibly the most comprehensive fully balanced portable dac on the market.

while we're on fiio, the new K5 pro is a huge step up from the old K5 as well as the more portable K3 that seems to be underpowered. note that i have a k3 and was surprised that it measured so poorly; i run balanced IEMs out of it and have few complaints (mostly finding a USB3.1 type-c OTG cable, which is nearly impossible). the K5 pro comes in at 159, or 50$ more than the K3. it's not balanced, but may be the preferable option for those who are dismayed that the K3 measures poorly. it may also potentially be a huge bargain at that price.

i would also be interested in seeing measurements from the hifiberry DAC+, which is another bargain option for the raspberry pi and may be a bit like the khadas tone board (same price point) but one that fits on a 30$ raspberry pi 3 b+ rather than the much more expensive VIM3. cases are also more available and much cheaper than the KTB, katana and applepi.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Bryston BDA-3.14 Multi-Function DAC. DAC with 4 HDMIs and 2 USB and other port with HDMI Video out. Interesting product.

fig-3-bda314-press.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
while we're on fiio, the new K5 pro is a huge step up from the old K5 as well as the more portable K3 that seems to be underpowered.
Fiio contacted me a few weeks ago offering to have this unit tested. I have not seen it yet but hopefully it is coming. I just asked them if they could also send the Q5s. Hopefully they can.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bryston BDA-3.14 Multi-Function DAC. DAC with 4 HDMIs and 2 USB and other port with HDMI Video out. Interesting product.

fig-3-bda314-press.jpg
Drop them a line and suggest that they send a sampling in for review. :)

jparvio

Fiio contacted me a few weeks ago offering to have this unit tested. I have not seen it yet but hopefully it is coming. I just asked them if they could also send the Q5s. Hopefully they can.

Since ASR is all about absolute reliability and tries to separate itself from "compromised hifi journalism", I think this will compromise Your work here. If a manufacturer posts a unit we cannot be sure it represents a random unit. I suggest You at least give this a thought.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If a manufacturer posts a unit we cannot be sure it represents a random unit. I suggest You at least give this a thought
You mean cherry picked? Yep, that is a risk. But I tend to think: If manufacturers send their units to @amirm, 1) they must be confident in their product 2) if they are able to engineer a product with very good design/performance, I don't see the point to do not spread it to the market.

See @MatrixAudio who sent their own units. Their designs almost reach the AP limit. Very few are able to do the same, whatever it is cherry picked or not.

Which model you guys would like Amir to review first? element P or element M?
:p
Element P!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
See @MatrixAudio who send their own units. Their designs almost reaches the AP limit. Very few are able to do the same, whatever it is cherry picked or not.
The streamer was a customer unit. It was as good as the dac they sent me.

jparvio

The streamer was a customer unit. It was as good as the dac they sent me.

I see this as a place to draw the lines. One case, one manufacturer is hardly hard evidence, statistically speaking. If You really wan´t to establish Your credibility on a rock solid base and perhaps be the first audio site ever to do so, then You figure another way out.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see this as a place to draw the lines. One case, one manufacturer is hardly hard evidence, statistically speaking. If You really wan´t to establish Your credibility on a rock solid base and perhaps be the first audio site ever to do so, then You figure another way out.
Ok...
I don't think @amirm still has to establish his credibility anymore.
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but: Are you suggesting that he has to measure ten random units of the same product to assure this one performs well or bad? Because that won't happen unless some (you?) have enough money to buy these units from different retailers around the world and, then send these to Amir...

Top Bottom