• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, manufacturing quality in general doesn't seem to be what it once was in audio, and this isn't specific to any manufacturer. I think much of the gear now is sold as throwaway stuff which will last long enough to please most buyers, keeping in mind shorter life cycles of so much of what we buy. The upside is that in most cases audible performance is still excellent.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Mistakes do happen. I make them when building amps. BUT thats why I run a suite of tests on each amp plus 24 hour soak before it goes out the door. Its basic QC.

Do you test for phase? Perhaps Nord keeps their prices down by using chimpanzees to wire their amps. I just think some members are playing the holier than thou game here.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Do you test for phase? Perhaps Nord keeps their prices down by using chimpanzees to wire their amps. I just think some members are playing the holier than thou game here.
Absolutely do. A, because of my experience and B because there are 6 chances to screw it up.

Plus I would spot it on the final listening test.

Can't say I agree. This is fundamental QC that was a PITA even though I could fix it. Few customers would be able to.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Absolutely do. A, because of my experience and B because there are 4 chances to screw it up.
Well, Nord found a few of those chances. I wonder why the forum member who submitted the Nord amp never found the problem. Of course, he may have given up on the unit which is why he was willing to part with it for testing. None the less, I feel a few of the members around here are making a bigger deal about this than it is worth. I hope you manage to snag a few more sales from this, anyway.

Aren't you up a bit late in Perth?

D

Deleted member 2944

No doubt the input polarity was reversed as well. This is a common scheme that's been around for awhile.
I mentioned this back in Post #50 of the Nord thread. :)

Dave.

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@March Audio

Hi.

My pre amplifier output is only 1 volt (Arcam SR250).
Speakers are Spendor A7 - 8ohm 88db sensitivity.
Does this mean the usable power on say, the P502 for example would be somewhere in the region of 200w.
If so, would using a line driver to increase the voltage be of benefit to me?

I'm not tech savvy with this so be gentle with your answer please. :)

g29

I have a full set of amps ready for the Melbourne Hifi show next week so I will be sending these to Amir for test after that.

Have you ever compared the NC1200's against BTL NC400's with respect to power output and noise ?

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@March Audio

Hi.

My pre amplifier output is only 1 volt (Arcam SR250).
Speakers are Spendor A7 - 8ohm 88db sensitivity.
Does this mean the usable power on say, the P502 for example would be somewhere in the region of 200w.
If so, would using a line driver to increase the voltage be of benefit to me?

I'm not tech savvy with this so be gentle with your answer please. :)

No worries :)

Its actuall much lower than that. The amp gain is 26dB so 1 volt in becomes 20 volts out. 20 volts into 8 ohms is only 50 watts.

However 1 volt out for a pre amp sounds very low. let me check it out.

EDIT:

yes the manual does indeed say 1 v rms nominal output, but that really doesnt make a lot of sense to me. 26dB is a very typical power amp gain. they are rarely above 29dB. I would actually give Arcam an email and ask them to confirm.

Last edited:

Sparky

Forum Donor
No worries :)

Its actuall much lower than that. The amp gain is 26dB so 1 volt in becomes 20 volts out. 20 volts into 8 ohms is only 50 watts.

However 1 volt out for a pre amp sounds very low. let me check it out.

EDIT:

yes the manual does indeed say 1 v rms nominal output, but that really doesnt make a lot of sense to me. 26dB is a very typical power amp gain. they are rarely above 29dB. I would actually give Arcam an email and ask them to confirm.

Thanks for that. :)

This is their reply.

IMG_20191012_195020.jpg

What do you make of their reply @March Audio

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I am using TAD CE-1 with them but below 165 Hz I have 2 Rythmik F8s and below 62 Hz one Rhytmik F8 and one JL Audio E112, all 6 channels eq'ed with Audiolense. And I really think the cases are another major reason to buy them :)

Did you high pass the TADs at 165 Hz? Lower? Not at all?

I've been eyeing either the CE 1 or ME 1 as two of the possible options if I decide going to end-game on monitors + subs (my current architecture) is the direction I want.

Olli

Forum Donor
Did you high pass the TADs at 165 Hz? Lower? Not at all?

I've been eyeing either the CE 1 or ME 1 as two of the possible options if I decide going to end-game on monitors + subs (my current architecture) is the direction I want.

19A541A9-E369-4A17-9050-F098404DB890.jpeg

High-passed at 165. Rythmik F8 Subs and a set of Iso-pucks make the perfect height for the CE-1, so you don‘t need speaker stands.

Last edited:

Olli

Forum Donor
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom