• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

mmicko

What you are missing is the data path on the female usb connector :) as has been clarified. IVX perhaps you should add a 'quick start guide' in future devices. Like a simple tiny manual. But then again next version will boot up much easier, right.

The people can create situations and combinations which nobody would expect, so it's quiet hard to describe them in guide :)

mmicko

brandall10

Exactly. Don't you have it already ? It is common cable usualy used for charging of USB-C devices. But perhaps you have a lot of lightning cables for Apple only ;-)

No, I've never had a cable like this before, I'm on OSX/iOS. I purchased a USB-C -> USB-C cable in anticipation of it, which should supply both power and data, and it does not work. Scratching my head why that does not work but this cable w/ USB-A/C adaptor would as they seem like they would be functionally equivalent.

Thank you all for your help!

mmicko

The reason of this situation is a big "chaos" in different USB connection modes - details you can find in Discord discussion. Anyway, there is a "workaround" in USB-C to USB-A cable + adapter. You can even use the USB-C to Micro USB + OTG adapter from Micro USB to USB-C which will be smaller solution.

1568128343499.png
1568128470973.png

Vij

Hi. I am also not able to get my MBP to see the E1DA balanced. It works with USB-C to USB-C cables and powers up but does not show up as a device. Any suggestions?

brandall10

I think the key ingredient here is you need some OTG compliant device in your chain. I have a micro female -> usb-c adaptor incoming, but it is OTG compliant - a lot aren't, and certainly the usb-c -> micro male cable I have isn't.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
@IVX, thank you for a brilliantly simple and yet well engineered product, the #9038S!

The cable I ordered has just arrived (it was before you started selling your own, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055106059.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1f0a4c4dJmu6qP).
I'm running lossless iTunes from my Mac Mini server to my MacBook Pro and then through SonarWorks True-Fi (https://sonarworks.com/truefi) for frequency and phase correction for my Sennheiser HD6XX (Mass Drop).

Wow, just wow!
I've never heard some of my favourite tracks with such clarity and authority.
I have way more volume than I'll ever need, and yet I'm even now listening at a level I would normally deem too loud, but I'm LOVING it!
I'm hearing detail I never knew was there. Including vinyl surface noise from those modern tracks that use a DJ to construct their sonic canvas!!

Am totally blown away by this product.
I'll be strongly recommending it to my kids for their own listening pleasure.

Am so grateful that ASR exists and that the rational audiophile is on the up and up!

Last edited:

Senegalas

@IVX, thank you for a brilliantly simple and yet well engineered product!

The cable I ordered has just arrived (it was before you started selling your own, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055106059.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1f0a4c4dJmu6qP).
I'm running lossless iTunes from my Mac Mini server to my MacBook Pro and then through SonarWorks True-Fi (https://sonarworks.com/truefi) for frequency and phase correction for my Sennheiser HD6XX (Mass Drop).

Wow, just wow!
I've never heard some of my favourite tracks with such clarity and authority.
I have way more volume than I'll ever need, and yet I'm even now listening at a level I would normally deem too loud, but I'm LOVING it!
I'm hearing detail I never knew was there. Including vinyl surface noise from those modern tracks that use a DJ to construct their sonic canvas!!

Am totally blown away by this product.
I'll be strongly recommending it to my kids for their own listening pleasure.

Am so grateful that AVR exists and that the rational audiophile is on the up and up!
I assume this review is for 3080?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
DownUnderGazza
haha, you didn't try PDv2 yet )) I have no idea why but I like it better than all kinda sterilized DACs.
PS: just now almost bought AP sys-2522 the same like Amir's old one. However, no AWT options installed and I'm not sure if I can find that A-weighting filter board, which actually should cost $10 or so(just 2 opamps there). Before, I leased AP machine. SYS2522 looks just identical to 2722, only 96kHz instead of 192, and $5600 instead of $11000.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Haha, the PDv2 is tempting, but I’m v happy with the #9038S.
I also prefer software based phase correction along with amplitude and time correction.
Hence my preference for Dirac and SonarWorks.

@IVX, Sounds like the AP sys-2522 would be a great addition to your tool kit.
Ignore those who fixate on unnecessarily high sampling rates, we all know that 96k/24bit is plenty and more than covers all our legitimate needs.
Keep up the great work!

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you prefer Power DAC V2 to #9038S and #9038D?
I think he prefers it over super flat distortion specs of the 9038s. For some reason :) It reminds me of the Katana DAC, it comes in max spec version and 'sound quality' version. Seems odd to me. would love to see some in-depth comparisons why one would not prefer the least distorting one.

I am waiting on my powerDAC to arrive, I'll gladly test and see if I can confirm it to be any 'different' sounding hehe, if yes I doubt it is because it is 'transparent' rather the opposite. But I'm mostly lured to the HPTOY app for DSP tweaking.

Last edited:

brandall10

Finally got to hear this working last evening, sounds and works awesome w/ my HD58x. I spent time w/ the normal and perf modes, have yet to really listen to SE. A super portable balanced drive is just the ticket for these cans, the power and detail is a decent leap above say my mojo or laptop headphone out.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Do you prefer Power DAC V2 to #9038S and #9038D?
yes, I do but it is a commercial secret, as you understand ;) 9038S more costly vs PDv2, and 9038D even more vs 9038S, so I prefer to sell last one but listen to PDv2 )) Some our discord people saying that I like PDv2 because of DSP, probably yes.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
yes, I do but it is a commercial secret, as you understand ;) 9038S more costly vs PDv2, and 9038D even more vs 9038S, so I prefer to sell last one but listen to PDv2 )) Some our discord people saying that I like PDv2 because of DSP, probably yes.
Understand! Subjectivity is different. When is the estimate for 9038D? Thanks, Ven!

Top Bottom