• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50s volume control

La!$

Is there any recommended way to control volume? Currently using the JRiver volume control instead of the DAC (Preamp) to control volume. Should I use the DAC? If so, why?

Audio device-Topping D50s DAC WASAPI

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Is it for headphones or speakers listening?
If headphones, control the volume on your headphones amp.
If passive speakers, control it on your pre-amp. If active speakers, get a pre-amp.

Edit: You can also, of course, use the volume knob of your D50s but I guess you would do that already if you found it convenient.

Last edited:
OP
L

La!$

Hi,

Is it for headphones or speakers listening?
If headphones, control the volume on your headphones amp.
If passive speakers, control it on your pre-amp. If active speakers, get a pre-amp.
Speakers with in built amp. (Audioengine A5+)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer analog volume control because it allows you to set volume more quickly & more precisely than digital volume control. The counterpart is possible channel imbalance.

I don't know if Amir tested good cheap pre-amps yet.

maty

Major Contributor
Windows -> Disable/without sounds.

Adjust the startup volume of JRMC. Now it works like a very good/clean digital volume of... 64-bits.

JRMC-volume-startup.png

And Volume mode: Internal Volume.

In this way you will never have a fright in the speakers or headphones, because you must set a low level. You just have to upload the volume every time you open JRMC.

And, a very good idea is to install the JRMC WDM driver. Then, the other soft players or the browsers (you know, YouTube and others services) work with JRMC -> better sound, DSP options... and digital volume too.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

But do not tell foobar2000 lovers:p
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/foobar-or-jriver.8364/

Last edited:
OP
L

La!$

I prefer analog volume control because it allows you to set volume more quickly & more precisely than digital volume control. The counterpart is possible channel imbalance.

I don't know if Amir tested good cheap pre-amps yet.
Turn windows volume to max and control volume using DAC? Is that what you mean sir?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turn windows volume to max and control volume using DAC? Is that what you mean sir?

Yes, but if you have a pre-amp to put after the DAC, you can also put the DAC to 100%.

Maty advises to control volume with JRiver. Not as convenient in my opinion.

maty

Major Contributor
Yes. With the WDM you will have to output, the original of your DAC and the new JRMC.

The most important thing is to disable sounds in Windows if you want to avoid destroying the speakers / headphones.

If no one else enters your Windows session it will always remain disabled until you change it. If another person also uses the computer without having their own account you can have a scare. Comfort is always at odds with security, in this case your drivers.

OP
L

La!$

Yes, but if you have a pre-amp to put after the DAC, you can also put the DAC to 100%.

Maty advises to control volume with JRiver. Not as convenient in my opinion.
Okay. So in that case 0.00 should be 100 on windows volume control? If not, please explain the parameters I should set.

maty

Major Contributor
In my case, I upload the JRMC volume at 99% (-0.5 dB) after JRMC is open, because I have verified that this is how my old, cheap and tweaked ODAC USB sounds better.

I control the volume with my modded AVR Marantz SR4500.

If I were tempted to buy the Sabaj D5 DAC and had an amplifier capable of taking advantage of its excellent specifications (maybe the future DIY kit of PURIFI 1ET400A), I would do so.

maty

Major Contributor
If you install the WDM driver JRMC takes the control. One moment... a screenshot to you, from my W10 Pro 1809 64-bit.

JRMC-windows-output-device.png

Here, the volume at 100% like the old device (ODAC).

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maty advises you to use the JRMC volume control if you don't want to pay more. But he uses the volume control of his AVR, as I told you you should.

OP
L

La!$

If you install the WDM driver JRMC takes the control.
Right now, if I lower or increase volume in JRMC the windows volume is also automatically lowered/increased.

maty

Major Contributor
But my systems are very securized from...

JRMC takes the control, Windows volume is not active.

WDM driver installed?

maty

Major Contributor
BTW, at the first/big picture, the audiophiles and others must have a joy, because where the volume section is there is a little box to activate the Loudness.

maty

Major Contributor
Now we open a new session with our own account.

As JRiver has taken control of the audio, until the program is not executed, no sound will be heard from another player. The rest of the software multimedia players are better to configure them to use the JRMC device.

But JRMC is a multimedia soft. You can view videos too, streaming and... Better force the installation of madVR for video. The same as with Media Player Classic, aka MPC-HC (player inside K-Lite codec pack).

Media players supporting madVR: (sorted alphabetically)

· DVB Dream
· DVBViewer
· Fast Video Cataloger
· GameEx
· JRiver MediaCenter
· KMPlayer
· Kodi DSPlayer
· MediaPortal 1
· MPC-BE
· MPC-HC (updated only in K-Lite codec pack)
· PotPlayer
· ProgDVB
· SmartDVB
· YAP
· Zoom Player

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Danger!

* The problem is in players that have no option to change devices, such as the old windows media player and the new W10. The first, like IE 11, you can uninstall but not the new! They will work with the windows audio control if JRMC is opened. In my system: audio files are assigned by default to foobar2000. The video files to MPC-HC.

* If other user uses the same computer, even if it is from another program, the players will probably be adjusted to the maximum or almost, so they can have a scare, he/she and you later.

So the best thing is that only you have control of your computer. Any other person who is under your supervision or has been properly instructed, but they tend to forget what they do not practice.

Or to buy something like RME ADI-2 DAC or stay as you are.

- End off topic -

Top Bottom