• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PC/Nuc version recommendations?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If a recent I7 isn't enough, then what is?
It really depends on which recent i7. My [email protected] does much better even with its burden of Win10 than whatever i7 is in the Nucleus+ running their proprietary Linux OS. Now building an i9-9900 equivalent to live farther from the edge.

Totoro

Probably more common in classical recordings which depend less on processing/editing.
Not the point here.
Since the Nucleus+ cannot do anything else afaik, what could that be?
If you have it hooked up to a monitor, what does it show if you type htop or top while it’s thrashing?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run a pcengines apu c4 with Debian. It’s fanless with a quad core amd x86_64 chip,4g of ram and an ssd. 3 gigabit nics. IMO it’s way better than a nuc for your purposes. If you ran freebsd you could take advantage of zfs storage features like snapshot recovery-if it’s good enough for Netflix...

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Most DSD recordings were anyhow derived from PCM masters. :D
This used to be true but there are a lot of live to DSD recordings available for download. My library of DSD is all that. I buy content in whatever format was recorded.

Challenge recording (or was it Channel recordings?) and Blue Coast records are two that I purchased a bunch of DSD files from.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you have it hooked up to a monitor, what does it show if you type htop or top while it’s thrashing?
Thanks but I sent it back to Roon months ago.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This used to be true but there are a lot of live to DSD recordings available for download. My library of DSD is all that. I buy content in whatever format was recorded.

Challenge recording (or was it Channel recordings?) and Blue Coast records are two that I purchased a bunch of DSD files from.
Challenge and Channel both record, edit and issue DXD/DSD but I believe BlueCoast passes theirs through an analog intermediary.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Challenge and Channel both record, edit and issue DXD/DSD but I believe BlueCoast passes theirs through an analog intermediary.

DXD is of course PCM.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
DXD is of course PCM.
Of course but I really doubt if any DSD avoids the DXD phase at the recording site (depending on the chosen hardware/software). OTOH, using it for short segments during editing is less pernicious, imho, than analog conversion/reversion.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course but I really doubt if any DSD avoids the DXD phase at the recording site (depending on the chosen hardware/software). OTOH, using it for short segments during editing is less pernicious, imho, than analog conversion/reversion.

I agree - going via analog is much more lossy than using DXD (even for the whole track).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I know some of their bits are recorded to Reel to Reel but didn't think all were. Need to check....

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought DSD playback without converting it to PCM precludes using any DSP. Somewhere I read the latest ESS chips can control DSD volume digitally, but for the most part there has to be an analogue volume control after the DSD is converted to analogue.

Of course there are folks converting PCM to DSD 512 on the fly before sending it to their DAC. I'm not sure what it accomplishes, but it requires a fast CPU.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I thought DSD playback without converting it to PCM precludes using any DSP.
Yes, in general.

Somewhere I read the latest ESS chips can control DSD volume digitally, but for the most part there has to be an analogue volume control after the DSD is converted to analogue.
Yes.

Of course there are folks converting PCM to DSD 512 on the fly before sending it to their DAC. I'm not sure what it accomplishes, but it requires a fast CPU.
My problem is that it takes a similarly powerful CPU to downsample DSD256 to 24/192PCM in order to use DSP.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My problem is that it takes a similarly powerful CPU to downsample DSD256 to 24/192PCM in order to use DSP.

I can downsample DSD64 to 24/96 PCM on my lightweight Pentium NUC with enough CPU left over for a convolver. Works in both Foobar and JRiver. My machine would totally choke on DSD256 to PCM 24/192 plus DSP.

BillG

Major Contributor
My sense of JR is just what you say - engineered for engineers - not a bad thing surely, but in my experience usually a heavy price to pay on the UI end! (My background in apps dev makes me a bit picky when it comes to UI design).
"Fiddle factor" definitely has great value - as long as I don't spend more time fiddling than playing :) and the 'fiddling' is not required except for during setup.

You're welcome... :cool:

For people like us, the fiddle factor is usually welcome. However, when I'm at home chillaxin' I don't want to fiddle.

I installed JRiver one night, after I'd had some wine and a spliff - Not the best time to evaluate software, I know. But what the hell! - and really couldn't be bothered getting beyond the setup. I may try again when I'm sober! Hahahaha! :p

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Since the Nucleus+ cannot do anything else afaik, what could that be?

Impossible to tell if it is a poor implementation of DSD to PCM processing alghoritm, poor Windows setup or something else. In any case, as I showed with Volumio (ALSA) screen snapshot doing the same job, with proper implementation even much slower processor should be able to do such job easilly. That fact that i5, and even i7, are choking speaks for itself about poor programming practice..

maty

Major Contributor
Only you need an i7 if you want use something like HQplayer to upsampling the audio very high.

With i5 you need enough to multimedia. To music, an i3 is enough. The most reasonable, thinking about the future, is an i5. To save, let it be from the previous generation.

I cannot comment on the new AMD (to games are very appreciated the Ryzen). Many years ago I had an AMD K6-2 300 (W98, NT and Linux).

The best thing is that it is custom like my PC, with a silent power supply and low ripple at 5V (USB), as well as the rest of the fans. At EU, the german Bequiet! is a cheap/good/silent SMPS with low ripple. And a silent case, Cooler Master has one silent and cheap.

Yes, silent is a very important word in audio, like noise.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Impossible to tell if it is a poor implementation of DSD to PCM processing alghoritm, poor Windows setup or something else.
No Windows. Linux variant OS.
In any case, as I showed with Volumio (ALSA) screen snapshot doing the same job, with proper implementation even much slower processor should be able to do such job easilly. That fact that i5, and even i7, are choking speaks for itself about poor programming practice..
Not comparable. We are discussing Roon and multichannel; are you?

Old Listener

You're welcome... :cool:

For people like us, the fiddle factor is usually welcome. However, when I'm at home chillaxin' I don't want to fiddle.

I installed JRiver one night, after I'd had some wine and a spliff - Not the best time to evaluate software, I know. But what the hell! - and really couldn't be bothered getting beyond the setup. I may try again when I'm sober! Hahahaha! :p

JRiver has a lot of capability but you have to think out what you want it to do and then look around for the features that will get you to your goal. You don't seemed to have made any effort at all.

Top Bottom