• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec Global Launch Event - Facebook livestream today at 19:00 GMT

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In pro world, Dante and now AVB are becoming more and more common.
AVB is an international standard.

The benefit is not only for big setups. Also in smaller studio, it's much easier (and it may become cheaper) to patch and reroute signal through a software than having to change cables.

In home HiFi, that's different needs obviously.
The main needs there are streaming, multiroom, speaker mobility and being able to send music from mobile device (wi-fi or bluetooth).

More and more, we see Pro hardware vendors also try to cover hone user needs. After all, it is a potential market.
RME, with its ADI-2 DAC, Mytec, Benchmark, but also Genelec, JBL, Focal, ...

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Might as well get a D&D. With Genelec you are paying a lot of money for studio features like digital control.

I would very surprise if the cost of a dsp is high wrt the total cost. You are paying a lot for
- high quality
- included room com correction
- build in Finland
- brand

P.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
E23k is in line with other ‘main monitors’ much cheaper than for example PMCs/ATCs.
Keith

q3cpma

Major Contributor
E23k is in line with other ‘main monitors’ much cheaper than for example PMCs/ATCs.
Keith
I think that Genelec's real competitor is Neumann, not the measurement/provided data lacking ATC/PMC. And Neumann is a lot cheaper, even if you must consider the shorter (2 vs Genelec's 3 + 2 for parts) warranty and technological shortcomings like the use of class AB amps unlike Genelec's Ds.

pierre

Forum Donor
I think that Genelec's real competitor is Neumann, not the measurement/provided data lacking ATC/PMC. And Neumann is a lot cheaper, even if you must consider the shorter (2 vs Genelec's 3 + 2 for parts) warranty and technological shortcomings like the use of class AB amps unlike Genelec's Ds.
One of the difference is that Genelec is a global brand. Focal, Neumann, ATC, PSI audio, Geithan are usually very present in a few countries only.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@pierre you are sounding like a fan boy. Perhaps some of us are not as wrong as you think. Genelec makes good studio monitors, but nothing in this world is the alpha and the omega.

Cortes

@pierre you are sounding like a fan boy. Perhaps some of us are not as wrong as you think. Genelec makes good studio monitors, but nothing in this world is the alpha and the omega.
Objetive stuff: robust cabinet, high tech engineering, and room correction (glm), puts genelec above any other brand. That is not to be a fanboy, its a evaluation of the facts.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Objetive stuff: robust cabinet, high tech engineering, and room correction (glm), puts genelec above any other brand. That is not to be a fanboy, its a evaluation of the facts.
They are good speakers, but even the slightest difference of opinion is being met with dismissal. To say they are above any other brand is opinion and hype.

Cortes

They are good speakers, but even the slightest difference of opinion is being met with dismissal. To say they are above any other brand is opinion and hype.

Why?. It does not mean that you have to like them. Speaker sound is something very subjective, tons of people love highly colored hifi boxes.
Many people listening to Sonus Faber would puke after hearing studio monitors.

However, engineering is not that subjetive. It can be compared. You can measure and compare the state of speakers after falling 3 meters, compare their internal DSP/Amps/Wiring, measure their frequency response, find out weather they have room correction capabilities beside some childish EQ bottoms, etc.

pierre

Forum Donor

I will ask for a discount. More seriously: do you have examples where I am acting like a fanboy? or is that because I dare to contradict you on 1 point?

I wrote:

You are paying a lot for
- high quality
- included room com correction
- build in Finland
- brand

which part is not factual? "a lot"?

Cortes

Why the W371 is not advertized with the 8331 and yes with 8341/8351/8361?.

OP
I

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why the W371 is not advertized with the 8331 and yes with 8341/8351/8361?.
It is mostly about the sheer size and performance mismatch. If you look at the maximum SPL data, there is already 16 dB difference between them which is a lot. Also, it is not very good match visually either. :)

Vintage57

Forum Donor

The Neumann's are a lot cheaper and a good deal in my experience. It is older technology however.

I was able to recently put together a Neumann system with a pair of KH420's mains and a pair of KH805's subs for less than $10,000. The result is a 4 way system with the subs integrated below the mains and working form 80Hz and down and relieving the mains of these lower octaves. The built in 4th order crossover was designed to be used with their subs and integrate seamlessly.

The published performance figures are competitive to the Genelec's.

FR, Mains
Genelec 8361A +/1.5 dB, 36Hz-20KHz,
Newmann's KH420 +/- 2 dB, 28Hz-20KHz,

FR, Subs
Genelec W371A +/3.0 dB, 25Hz-450Hz,
Newmann's KH805 +/- 2 dB, 19Hz-300Hz,

The real winners here are the buyers that can rely on the data and performance to match. Also the fact the bar continues to be raised. Unlike most of the musical furniture that is available.

Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor
The Neumann's are a lot cheaper and a good deal in my experience. It is older technology however.

I was able to recently put together a Neumann system with a pair of KH420's mains and a pair of KH805's subs for less than $10,000. The result is a 4 way system with the subs integrated below the mains and working form 80Hz and down and relieving the mains of these lower octaves. The built in 4th order crossover was designed to be used with their subs and integrate seamlessly.

The published performance figures are competitive to the Genelec's.

FR, Mains

FR, Subs
Newmann's KH805 +/- 2 dB, 19Hz-300Hz,

The real winners here are the buyers that can rely on the data and performance to match. Unlike the musical furniture that is available.

It may be older technology but are they audibly different? Last year we compare focal trio, neumann kh420, genelec 1248 and the local psi. We level matched and concluded that differences where minor and we went for the cheaper one. Subjectively people preferred PSI but they are all very good. Some have more SPL than others which can be an important difference.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Is class A/B a technical shortcoming? Less efficient for sure but a good A/B amp can be fully audibly transparent and powerful and from a purely SQ perspective I wouldn't consider it to be a shortcoming.

audiophool

FR, Mains

FR, Subs
Newmann's KH805 +/- 2 dB, 19Hz-300Hz

That's not saying much. It is trivial to design speaker that is reasonably flat on axis. At this level of speaker, I don't think measurements can convey the sound quality differences that you will perceive.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I agree except that it doesn’t solely convey the sq. It does tell you data in should equal data out. If it was easy to be flat on axis then where is it in the consumer marketplace? I’d guess it’s the old 80/20 rule. 80% don’t do it in the consumer market. While 80% do it in the pro market.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Is class A/B a technical shortcoming? Less efficient for sure but a good A/B amp can be fully audibly transparent and powerful and from a purely SQ perspective I wouldn't consider it to be a shortcoming.
Well, I was indeed talking about efficiency. And since heat management is important for long term durability and high SPL continuous performance (especially in a sealed cabinet like the KH310), I think class D has a significant advantage in this case.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that it would be disappointing if the heat from AB amplifiers affects durability given that there is nothing especially difficult about establishing the level of heat rejection needed to maintain something within a given temperature band and to provide the necessary heat sink or cooling arrangement. Although that said, looking at quite a few few modern audio components I do get an impression that some manufacturers have either forgotten or never knew some of the basics.
In terms of durability a well designed class AB amplifier can go on for many decades, I will be surprised if class D amplifiers match their longevity.

Top Bottom