• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL M500

Julery

I wonder what kind power supply is built-in ( accept 110-240 Voltage ), it have a figure 8 input. No ground ( Earth ). I figure the ES9311 power chip will smooth thing over considering the initial measurement posted.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wonder what kind power supply is built-in ( accept 110-240 Voltage ), it have a figure 8 input. No ground ( Earth ). I figure the ES9311 power chip will smooth thing over considering the initial measurement posted.
wut?

w1000i

Forum Donor
It it possible to ground it ?

Julery

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

xrodney

As my current audio solution (AV receiver) started acting (bad headphone jack) I could not wait anymore and decided to risk it and ordered SMSL M500 and as temporary power-amp Loxjie A10.
I will use it to drive AKG 712 headphones and KEF R300 speakers.

Woow ! There is not voltage buffer/filter after I/V conversion. There is only RCA summing op-amp. Two op-amps are missing for XLR output if I see fit.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Woow ! There is not voltage buffer/filter after I/V conversion. There is only RCA summing op-amp. Two op-amps are missing for XLR output if I see fit.
What to expact from that ? any performance concern ?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Unless there is no I/V conversion because the DAC is used in voltage mode. It was possible with the 9018, I don't know for this one.

Unless there is no I/V conversion because the DAC is used in voltage mode. It was possible with the 9018, I don't know for this one.
Here is es9038Pro. Indeed, you are right, we do not know if the output is in current or voltage.

w1000i

Forum Donor
Here is es9038Pro. Indeed, you are right, we do not know if the output is in current or voltage.

Qoute "
The ES9028Pro is supposed to be an ES9018S with an updated digital core, while the ES9038Pro is supposed to be an ES9028Pro with 4 times the output stages, resulting in an extreme output current capability. This very high current would be the reason why its DNR and THD+N performance would be off-the-charts.
"

http://www.dimdim.gr/tag/es9038pro/

I think m500 will do wonders as it will be feed with es9311

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I like the form factor, cute, small desktop footprint. A balanced headphone output would have made it complete and a serious competitor for the Sabaj D5.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Is SMSL and Sabaj the same company? The display looks identical to the D5 from the pictures...

xrodney

Already received SMSL M500 today and so far sounds better then my old AVR as headhones (AKG 712 PRO) goes.
Power amp (Loxjie A10) got delayed so could not test with speakers but planing to take old Marants CR502 DAB from other room to test it later on.
Quite surprising was delivery as it took about week to expedite but delivery itself was next day (Shipped Sunday, Delivered Monday) which is no small feat from HK to Czech Republic by DHL.

OP
K

killervidra

Already received SMSL M500 today and so far sounds better then my old AVR as headhones (AKG 712 PRO) goes.
Power amp (Loxjie A10) got delayed so could not test with speakers but planing to take old Marants CR502 DAB from other room to test it later on.
Quite surprising was delivery as it took about week to expedite but delivery itself was next day (Shipped Sunday, Delivered Monday) which is no small feat from HK to Czech Republic by DHL.
Good to hear, that someone got it already ! Question: If you will able to test it, RCA and XLR out goes / working in parallel ? In the menu i did not see any option to choose, so I think it supplies both.

xrodney

Good to hear, that someone got it already ! Question: If you will able to test it, RCA and XLR out goes / working in parallel ? In the menu i did not see any option to choose, so I think it supplies both.
You are right there is only "HP Out" and "Line out" option in menu so it must use both RCA and XLR at same time.
I don't have amp with XLR input to test it and my old osciloscope is broken so.... wont be able to test it anytime soon.

As for HP out power, with my AKG 712 pro (50 Ohm) comfortable volume to listen is for me between 10-18 out of 40, depending on song and mood, so plenty of room there for more demanding headphones.

Top Bottom