• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
No offense, but if you don't know the answer to this already, you're probably not well-suited for a table as tweaky as the Sol. You may get really really frustrated.

But to answer:

Yes, it will just run into the label over and over for infinity until you manually lift it up again.
You're putting him on?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, for $75,000, I guess even audiophiles can get auto return. :)

But also no longer made, if I recall correctly.
I think they made about 100 and I bought mine from the Goldmund Europe distributor when they discontinued it. I think it is worth more than I paid for it now, though that was almost 30 years ago.

Yeesh! That sounds like it would damage things if you fall asleep on the record.
Most "audiophile" turntables do not include auto-return or even auto lift at the end of the record. Take a look at any of the turntables offered by Rega or VPI (both popular manufacturers of "audiophile 'tables); all of their turntables are fully manual (i.e. no auto-lift and no auto-return).

From my likely faulty memory, I believe Linn, Acoustic Research and Rega were pioneers of this minimalist turntable design philosophy in the 70s and Rega popularized it in the 80s and beyond.

When I was a bit younger, back in the 70s, I felt the way you do; "Why would anyone want a turntable that required you to manually lift its tonearm at the end of the record and manually stop the turntable". With that philosophy, I shunned Regas (well I couldn't afford a Rega at that time anyway) and I bought a fully automatic Dual turntable back in 1979, which I still have.

Since the "vinyl revival" a few years ago however, I started to appreciate the design philosophy of a fully manual turntable; there is a certain "purist" appeal to the simplistic design philosophy of a fully manual 'table. As a bonus, there is less to go wrong with such a design. Case in point: my old Dual turntable, which I recently restored to mostly working order; the "automatic" features (auto start, auto return) have long since stopped working; it still sounds great, but it's a fully manual table now, and that's just fine with me.

FYI, there are aftermarket tonearm lifters for those that want an "audiophile" turntable but just can't live without an auto-lift at the end of the record.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I don't need a turntable because all my LP's drowned 2 years ago. Besides, I love not having to get up every 20 minutes. Computer playback is the ultimate couch potato accessory.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Turntables? Turntables? We don't need no stinkin' Turntables!

I don't need a turntable because all my LP's drowned 2 years ago. Besides, I love not having to get up every 20 minutes. Computer playback is the ultimate couch potato accessory.
I can't argue with that.

For most music, I stream files from my NAS drive and also from the Amazon Music app to my Chromecast Audio, and you just can't beat the convenience (and variety of music available) with digital streaming/playback.

That said, I can't help but be drawn to the anachronistic rituals of playing vinyl. Call me irrational, but I recently re-discovered the pleasures of spinning and listening to albums on my old (but restored) turntable. I even frequent my local record store now looking for old albums I don't have that I can find on the cheap.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I even frequent my local record store now looking for old albums I don't have that I can find on the cheap.

I'm trading in 170+ LPs to my local store, once I finish sifting and sorting one last time, which will leave about ~400 in my collection.

Because I'm implementing a rule that the collection shall not get any bigger (enforced by the size of my now full Ikea Kallax), anything new has to mean something else must go.

Ergo, I'm also implementing a 'no cheap stuff' rule.

Which also saves me on buying a record cleaning machine.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Lol I don't even know!
OK then. Vinyl records are made with a locked groove. When end of side is reached, the groove spirals in a little further and then reaches a *circular* groove. "Locked" means that the stylus just stays in there until you lift it out. You hear a click or "clunk"once per rev as the stylus crosses the point where the spiral groove meets the circular one. All this means the stylus never reaches the label. You can easily see this on any vinyl record of any size.

Of course, you might find a record where the locked groove has been damaged or was incorrectly pressed and the stylus just sails on into the label, but this is rare and you will quickly learn which records this happens with so you can stand over the TT to lift the arm when you need to!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For EUR 799, an alternative to the Sol would be this:

c1b934e9da064e3515368c5399f120b3_original.jpg

Kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...st-3d-printed-modular-record-pl?ref=user_menu

Even has a Bluetooth module.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
OK then. Vinyl records are made with a locked groove. When end of side is reached, the groove spirals in a little further and then reaches a *circular* groove. "Locked" means that the stylus just stays in there until you lift it out. You hear a click or "clunk"once per rev as the stylus crosses the point where the spiral groove meets the circular one. All this means the stylus never reaches the label. You can easily see this on any vinyl record of any size.

Of course, you might find a record where the locked groove has been damaged or was incorrectly pressed and the stylus just sails on into the label, but this is rare and you will quickly learn which records this happens with so you can stand over the TT to lift the arm when you need to!

I thought he was trolling?

Top Bottom