• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

SiW

I don't have an iPhone but I can test with my iPad 2018 with the fiio cable lightning to micro usb

Cheers - it works with the camera connection kit but would rather just one cable.

dbunderwood

I bought an NX4 earlier this year only to have it rattling on arrival. I cracked it to see what was up and found that there was a spring-loaded chassis ground pin that had liberated from the board. So, I warrantied it.

Upon receiving a second, the same failure happened within weeks. So, I've returned that one.

Has anyone else had problems with this component or rattling NX4s? I'm shopping for a new solution, but it feels like the alternatives at this price point all come with compromises.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I bought an NX4 earlier this year only to have it rattling on arrival. I cracked it to see what was up and found that there was a spring-loaded chassis ground pin that had liberated from the board. So, I warrantied it.

Upon receiving a second, the same failure happened within weeks. So, I've returned that one.

Has anyone else had problems with this component or rattling NX4s? I'm shopping for a new solution, but it feels like the alternatives at this price point all come with compromises.

That's the only listening test I give my DAC's... Does it rattle when you shake it.

Sorry yours have been failing!

aka

Happy to report my NX4 is rattle free! :cool:
Exceptional unit - truly exceeds my expectations.
Ordered from Apos (Oakland California - US Topping distributor) - cannot recommend their customer service highly enough (no affiliation).

aka

Has anyone found little round stick-on rubber feet (similar to the included velcro stickers) - just something to make the bottom a little less slick...?

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did you measure IMD on this Amir?

ricmuz_

Pardon my noob question, but what is the difference between this model and the DX3 Pro? They seem to have the same power output for 300 ohm headphones (around 120mv). What does the DX3 have that the NX4 hasn't?

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Pardon my noob question, but what is the difference between this model and the DX3 Pro? They seem to have the same power output for 300 ohm headphones (around 120mv). What does the DX3 have that the NX4 hasn't?
Hi ricmuz

DX3 Pro is a desktop product with few more inputs and it comes with a remote as well. It's suited for non PC environments as well such as your HiFi system etc. And if you have power hungry headphones which would make use of that extra bit of power you get from it then it's a better choice. Having said that NX4DSD is quite powerful, I have to use my 75 ohm inline attenuator all the time with IEMs and my Yamahas, I listen to quite low volume levels.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Fellow veteran owners, I have received my NX4DSD couple of days ago. Could you please answer my queries?

1. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time for charge?
2. How do I go about getting ASIO to work with Windows 7 using foobar2000? Right now I am not getting that option, I managed to configure WASAPI Push/Event but I would prefer the ASIO if I can. (Figured out)

Many thanks, Ven!

Last edited:

Pablo11

@vkvedam I've just received my NX4 DSD and cannot get it to work on Windows 7. How did you resolve your issue?
I've emailed Topping and they said I had installed the wrong driver. So far I cannot find one for Windows 7... And initially installed the driver they have now suggested I use!

Going to upgrade to Windows 10 very soon so hopefully it will soon be a non issue.

Aside from this, the unit works very well with my DT880's and my K271's on my android phone. Very happy with that side of things:)

Veri

Master Contributor
@vkvedam I've just received my NX4 DSD and cannot get it to work on Windows 7. How did you resolve your issue?
I've emailed Topping and they said I had installed the wrong driver. So far I cannot find one for Windows 7... And initially installed the driver they have now suggested I use!

Going to upgrade to Windows 10 very soon so hopefully it will soon be a non issue.

Definitely there's no driver problems on Windows 10 :)

Pablo11

Looks like I'll need to upgrade sooner than later in that case!!

Does anyone use this device or similar in conjunction with a DAW? That's my intention, using ASIO4ALL, which I also find to be very good.

vkvedam

Forum Donor

Aside from this, the unit works very well with my DT880's and my K271's on my android phone. Very happy with that side of things:)
Hi, don't use the installer package. Extract all the contents into a location, go through the 'Device Manager' and update the driver by guiding the installer to the unzipped location. ASIO4ALL V2 works brilliantly by the way for foobar2000 etc.
Good luck, Ven.

Pablo11

Hi, don't use the installer package. Extract all the contents into a location, go through the 'Device Manager' and update the driver by guiding the installer to the unzipped location. ASIO4ALL V2 works brilliantly by the way for foobar2000 etc.
Good luck, Ven.

So I upgraded to win10 and had no issues installing the device. Very happy with it now, absolutely no problems!
But thanks for the suggestion all the same :)

Bronco

Have we had any portable DAC/amp combos that measure here better than the NX4?

For the purposes of this discussion, let’s please exclude the Hugo/Hugo 2 due to its size and battery life constraints.

Last edited:

Bronco

Have we had any portable DAC/amp combos that measure here better than the NX4?

For the purposes of this discussion, let’s please exclude the Hugo/Hugo 2 due to its size and battery life constraints.

@amirm are there any that come to mind?

Top Bottom