• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JJ's Signal Processing and Psychoacoustics Master Library

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We are privileged to have James Johnston ("JJ") as one of our members. As one of the luminaries in audio research, it has been a pleasure to read his past presentations to the local chapter of Audio Engineering Society. JJ has kindly given me permission to post links to his work per below. I suggest downloading them and reading them before bed. :)

----

Copyright Notice
All of JJ's Powerpoint decks are copyright © by JJ Johnston. All rights reserved.
Permission granted for your own personal (educational) use. This copyright applies whether stated within the deck or not.

Octave files
lplt_t3.m Octave program (jan 2014 & feb 2015)

Heyser Lecture
From the 133rd AES Convention, October 2012, San Francisco. 1.2MB PPTx deck.

Hearing & Psychoacoustics
Soundfields vs. Human Hearing Download (900k ppt)
Hearing Tutorial (131st AES, NYC, 2011) Download (2.6Mb pptx)
Download (2.8Mb ppt)
Fundamentals of Hearing Download (1.28Mb ppt)
Some possible sources of listener fatigue. Download (128kb ppt)
What can go wrong with loudness models Download (345kb ppt)
Care and Feeding of Loudness Models Download (127kb ppt)
A spatial hearing tutorial Download (842kb ppt)
A short essay on spatial hearing for the surround live conference. Download (181kb ppt)
Loudness Tutorial.
PNW Section meeting, April 2006
no sound (165k ppt)
with sound (8.2Mb ppt)
Session TS-1: Physics of Sound and Hearing (1.3Mb ppt)
A 2-hour hearing tutorial. Download (1.3m ppt)
What Can We Hear? Download (770k ppt)
Why do we hear what we hear? Download (2Mb ppt)

Perceptual Coders and Related Hardware; Sample Rate Conversion
A Personal History of Perceptual Audio Coding Download (4.8Mb pptx)
What's inside a portable music player? Download (672kb ppt)
The history of audio codec research at AT&T Bell Labs and AT&T-Labs Research. Download (114kb ppt)
Perceptual Coding - A wide-ranging tutorial on perceptual audio coding (3 hours minimum) Download (4.9m ppt)
The Basic Theory of Filtering Download (779k ppt)
When to Code... WHEN NOT TO CODE Download (2Mb ppt)
Sampling Rate Conversion (Feb 2016) Download (1.6mb ppt)

Floobydust
Why do we hear what we hear? Download (250k ppt)
Spatial Perception of Audio vs. The Home Theatre Download (2.2Mb ppt)
JJ's vote for the 10 worst mistakes in audio engineering. Reprised from the 123rd Convention. Download (131kb ppt)
A Low-Complexity, Fast-acquiring Perceptually Tuned Room Correction Algorithm.
PNW Section meeting, January 2008
Download (409kb ppt)
The Science of Audio in 2004 (From the PNW Feb 2004 meeting, From Hear to Eternity.)
Download or View (1.1Mb PDF)
Conversion: Issues in Hearing, Sampling, Quantization and delta-sigma converter tutorial. Download (5.3Mb ppt)
Audio vs Video - the same or different? Highlights the differences between audio and video perception. Download (575k ppt)
Home Theatre vs Cinema Audio Production: the Technical Aspects Download (373k ppt)
Beyond MP3, Soundfield analysis, perception and capture or synthesis Download (2Mb ppt)

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thank you for posting these. JJ is one of our treasures.

Is there a level above technical expert? Seems so inadequate.
Indeed the level of experience and knowledge available here is staggering.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can create a new tier. What should it be called? Could use "Audio Luminary" or "Technical Luminary." Question is whether our foreign members can understand those titles as they won't get translated by Google.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top level technical Expert.

Or Gold star expert.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Audio Expert? Audio Technical Expert? To distinguish them from those many of us like me, who play at it with some modicum of technical ability, but without the deep experience and expertise of JJ, Floyd Toole, and others who really are audio experts.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Audio Expert? Audio Technical Expert? To distinguish them from those many of us like me, who play at it with some modicum of technical ability, but without the deep experience and expertise of JJ, Floyd Toole, and others who really are audio experts.
I need to create and give you a banner that says "Most Modest Technical Expert." :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I can create a new tier. What should it be called? Could use "Audio Luminary" or "Technical Luminary." Question is whether our foreign members can understand those titles as they won't get translated by Google.

Heh, when my wife saw the "Technical Expert" banner over my name, she shook her head sadly and asked, "If you're a 'Technical Expert,' what does that make Scott (Wurcer)?"

She has a way of putting things in perspective.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Heh, when my wife saw the "Technical Expert" banner over my name, she shook her head sadly and asked, "If you're a 'Technical Expert,' what does that make Scott (Wurcer)?"

Ah, there's your problem. My wife is an RD (registered dietitian) so knows nothing about who may, or may not be, a technical expert in engineering. I change the light bulbs, she feeds me, life is good. :D

I decided ages ago that there was nothing I could invent that had not been done by some guy with tubes decades before I was born.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ah, there's your problem. My wife is an RD (registered dietitian) so knows nothing about who may, or may not be, a technical expert in engineering. I change the light bulbs, she feeds me, life is good. :D

Mine is a web developer and friends with Scott (as well as other pretty impressive folks). She's not an engineer but she can figure out who the smart guys are pretty quickly.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Tell her thanks (I hope she was in the kitchen when she said that). I personally am not into labels, this is for keeping the brain active with interesting problems. What if the person who designed the anti-vibration system for LIGO posted his/her thoughts on TT mounts, they are indeed beyond expert in their field.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
What if the person who designed the anti-vibration system for LIGO posted his/her thoughts on TT mounts, they are indeed beyond expert in their field.

Oh my goodness yes! That would be priceless, especially if some of the ones that allegedly do not conserve momentum were presented to them!

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
No, but I was. Our dinner last night was in honor of your hometown.
You got a hold on some of that pea protein bratwurst? Versatile stuff that pea protein, even makes decent mayo.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You got a hold on some of that pea protein bratwurst? Versatile stuff that pea protein, even makes decent mayo.

Yeah, latest generation is quite good. We particularly favor the hot Italian sausage version. But Cynthia did home-made sauerkraut, so the brats were calling our names...

JP

Major Contributor
Tried those last week. Not bad at all.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
(Contemplates SIY and Scott exchanging comments about food and kitchens when JJ chimes in from, per his Location, "My dining room." You guys really are birds of a feather, eh? Now off to read "See Spot Run", my favorite bedtime story. And no, my kids are all grown...)

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
(Contemplates SIY and Scott exchanging comments about food and kitchens when JJ chimes in from, per his Location, "My dining room." You guys really are birds of a feather, eh? Now off to read "See Spot Run", my favorite bedtime story. And no, my kids are all grown...)

Heh, my computer (and my wife's) live in the breakfast nook in lieu of a breakfast table. :) So it's literal, but we had roasted home-garden potatoes, carrots (well, carrot it was a 15oz carrot), beets and zucchini tossed in EVOO tonight, and finished that off with a bowl of Trader Joe's coffee ice cream.

So, yes, in fact, I suspect we do have some birds of a feather here.

Top Bottom