• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you a headphone or speaker user?

Which way do you consume your music?

• I mostly use speakers.

Votes: 238 53.6%
  • I mostly use headphones.

Votes: 109 24.5%
  • I use headphones and speakers equally.

Votes: 97 21.8%

• Total voters

DuxServit

Forum Donor
It would’ve been interesting to see a corresponding ballot question underneath, asking the age bracket of the responder.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would’ve been interesting to see a corresponding ballot question underneath, asking the age bracket of the responder.
Hard to do that with forum software. Would have to use surveymonkey or some such thing for that.

jhwalker

I like in close quarters, both with my neighbors and with my husband. Neither like music from speakers, at least at the levels I'd like to listen to. So headphones (closed back) it is!

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been switching back and forth depending on the gear. Some five years ago I was a headphone guy, but then I got tinnitus (from headphones, be caerful out there!) and switched to a nearfield speaker guy when I also got better gear (Genelec 8331+7350). Now after buying the Stax L300 Limited I just might be leaning more, again, to a headphone guy... :)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers for music, HT, and when working out.
In ear noise cancelling headphones for air travel, lawn mowing, stationary biking.
Over-ear noise cancelling for snow blowing (keeps me warm).

- Rich

Silvera

Senheiser HD660S headphones 100% of the time, I don't have to worry about playing Megadeth at 2am.

Silvera

I have been switching back and forth depending on the gear. Some five years ago I was a headphone guy, but then I got tinnitus (from headphones, be caerful out there!) and switched to a nearfield speaker guy when I also got better gear (Genelec 8331+7350). Now after buying the Stax L300 Limited I just might be leaning more, again, to a headphone guy... :)

I am careful and never played over 80db for a couple hours a day but still got tinnitus anyway.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^ I am sorry. When mine started it took me to very dark waters for many months. It's so important to listen at low volumes and also to take breaks, probably every 20-30 minutes in my opinion.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sennheiser HD 599/579 headphones might not be the most "accurate" headphones but they are in contention for most comfortable. As I've spent most of my music listening at work, for hours on end, I've got to use headphones. As I live in a tiny apartment, I'm not about to blast music via speakers. I probably listen to music more in the car than over my a/d/s 400s.

Robin L

Master Contributor

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
this is my first post here, btw, so I'll be less brief than the others :)

I used to be obsessed with headphones. Yet, nowadays, not so much.

HEADPHONES 30% - several cans both wired and wireless but I mostly use the senn HD650 and sony mdr-7520 (w/ equalizer, stereo crossfeed & room simulator enabled whenever possible)

NEARFIELD 30% - kh120 (w/ ports blocked, 0.7m dist.) + sealed rythmik f12 xo 80Hz LR 48dB/oct

MIDFIELD 20% - sceptre s8 (w/ ports blocked, 2m dist.) + sealed rythmik f12 xo 70Hz LR 48dB/oct

OTHER 20% - smartphone/tablets/amazon echo devices/fostex 6301 speakers (garage speakers -- need them sealed as well as saw dust/dirt/debris accumulates sometimes--oh, and the metal grill is necessary as I keep a saw and many other sharp objects near the speaker driver!).

I have a couple other speaker sets for surrounds (yes, ports blocked as well) and in our family room, but seldom go there for extended periods to listen.

I'm always thinking about getting more, and more, and more speakers. Problem mostly is a lack of space... Currently I'm contemplating on getting a couple of fluid audio fx50 (yet to be released) as surrounds for the sceptres -- I don't exactly have any room even for a sceptre s6 in my space anymore and so the front port is absolutely necessary (obviously, haven't yet tested them with ports blocked or not) as they are to be mounted on the walls/ceiling (good thing these speakers have mounting points in the back as well. Also, I'm thinking of the iLoud monitors... maybe for portable use...

At this point in my life, ideally, listening to speakers is my main preference.

*why don't I use the tone controls on the back of the monitors to lower bass instead of blocking ports? Well, I just prefer using my DSP presets (easy and fast to enable and disable) and have never been fully satisfied with the sound coming out even with those turned on. Does it really improve the sound? subjectively, my asnwer is yes -- probably (?) -- but on a blind test, I likely wouldn't be able to tell which ultimately is "better" -- but definitely, it is very noticeable that the response rolls off much earlier. Also there are audible resonances at certain frequencies that I hear coming mostly from the room surfaces around me, and I'd rather avoid exciting those especially while listening at my max volume settings with EDM, heavy hip hop music, movies etc.

Last edited:

Natchie

Forum Donor
Mostly Headphones guy here, with AKG 501 series for critical listening of music, Grado 80 for walking my dog while listening to Amazon kindle and earlier iRiver devices. But for playing vinyl records, through stereo receiver, definitely speakers...to hear and feel that bass in my chest...

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Mostly Headphones guy here, with AKG 501 series for critical listening of music,

AKG's are great!

I am still a Loudspeaker dude though. After listening to some jazz guitar or some ACDC, on the system, i get silly and race to the Marshall and get even goofier at obnoxious levels and overdrive the distortion to melted cheese... :)

Natchie

Forum Donor
LOL, that's a great description, "overdrive the distortion to melted cheese"! Reminds me of a crazy industrial noise band from Japan, Melted Banana !

raif71

Major Contributor
I mostly use speakers. I have 2 speaker setups (3.1 and 7.1). via two different receivers. The speakers driven by the receivers are heaven but the sound from the headphone jack sucks big time. Some of the times when I use headhones is with a DAP. A dac/amp is on the way. Wished I had found this site 1st before making the dac/amp purchase :)

Top Bottom