• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Foobar or JRiver

Foobar VS JRiver

• Foobar

Votes: 105 53.6%
  • JRiver

Votes: 54 27.6%
  • Other (Mention below)

Votes: 37 18.9%

• Total voters

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
August 2009

EAC-Lo-mejor-del-soul.png

EAC-opciones-compresion-flac4-1024kbps.png

-4 -V -T “ARTIST=%a” -T “TITLE=%t” -T “ALBUM=%g” -T “DATE=%y” -T “TRACKNUMBER=%n” -T “GENRE=%m” -T “COMMENT=%e” %s -o %d

Sorry, but what relevance does this have to the discussion?

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The more compression, the more CPU load for decompression. How much? I do not know. Only I can say I can hear the difference between FLAC 0 and FLAC 4.

WAV - FLAC 0 - .... - FLAC 8 - MP3
I know of a few who prefer WAV over FLAC. I have tried to convince them to do the WAV vs FLAC 0 test. The difference is minimal, I would not pass a blind test. But FLAC 0 vs FLAC 4 is easy. Years ago, with foobar2000, I appreciated the difference between FLAC 5 and FLAC 4. In those years I recommended FLAC 4 1024 kbps.
I once had a really crappy computer that had difficulty with certain formats and glitched, unless I used specific playback software for specific formats/containers/compression levels. For some video containers, VLC would glitch, where GOM wouldn't, and my computer worked better at some audio format decoding when using foobar than using mediamonkey. So perhaps you are using equipment that isn't quite up to the task, rather than showing that there is any actual difference between unglitched playback of FLAC at whatever compression, WAV, or other lossless files. In my case, the problem resulted in enough audible glitches (clicks or other clear anomalies) so it was clear that it wasn't just one format being 'better' or one player 'sounding different.' Your computer may be glitching in more subtle ways than mine did.

Anywho, just a thought based on my own experience in the past with a finicky computer.

P.S. I think it's unfair of you to use Cookie Monster in your avatar, as it makes it hard for some people like myself to look on your posts with anything but kindly indulgence, even when you sometimes pull threads way off topic. haha! :D (Yes, bias is everywhere and can affect everything!)

Last edited:

sajunky

I once had a really crappy computer that had difficulty with certain formats and glitched, unless I used specific playback software for specific formats/containers/compression levels. For some video containers, VLC would glitch, where GOM wouldn't, and my computer worked better at some audio format decoding when using foobar than using mediamonkey. So perhaps you are using equipment that isn't quite up to the task, rather than showing that there is any actual difference between unglitched playback of FLAC at whatever compression, WAV, or other lossless files. In my case, the problem resulted in enough audible glitches (clicks or other clear anomalies) so it was clear that it wasn't just one format being 'better' or one player 'sounding different.' Your computer may be glitching in more subtle ways than mine did.
Technically these are not glitches, but interruption of a data stream, a fraction of second silence, but it can generate glitches on a poor analog equipment. It happens on for me on Win7 and 10 on a clean installation. No matter if playing FLAC's or WAVs, it indicate a critical DPC latency problem with drivers, other kernel routines like Defender, antivirus, MS Telemetry or other official spyware. It can be also something running in your UEFI (bios) in supervisor mode (Intel ME).

As for the interface WASAPI/ASIO, it doesn't matter, as long data stream is pulled out not interrupted.

trotos

https://getmusicbee.com/

portable installation, able to handle big library with different file formats, sorting and visualizing your media player as you like (plenty of customization) and plays all lossless files(?).
Love it so far.

maty

Major Contributor
Sorry, but what relevance does this have to the discussion?

That I did my tests many years ago and I verified it easily. Now my second system sounds much / much better than then. With much better speakers, my modded and LOVED KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial.

maty

Major Contributor
P.S. I think it's unfair of you to use Cookie Monster in your avatar, as it makes it hard for some people like myself to look on your posts with anything but kindly indulgence, even when you sometimes pull threads way off topic. haha! :D (Yes, bias is everywhere and can affect everything!)

The avatar choosed has a secret message. Understandable more easy if you are Spanish and you have a certain age, when they were broadcast on TVE-1.

Dominique-T

Long time user of Jriver. By the way, it allows the organisation by folder... I have tried Volumio, but no comparison in term of library management.

I like Jremote very much. Works with IOS and Android, the best audio app for me. Have tried Roon and Audio Nirvana, but their App requires very recent version of IOS, and I do not want to change my Ipads, old but functionnal.

Foobar has a middle age interface...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is it a crime to use ITunes? Is there something I’m missing? I mean not that I use iTunes. It does sync across all of my devices and let me stream by WiFi all over my house. Again, not that I use it or anything. :oops:

I’ve got to say MusicBee looks pretty cool after spending a little time reading about it.

maty

Major Contributor
I have an automated part with the computer startup but the rest is manual.

In the end it is trial and error, especially in the last steps. Too much detail can cause fatigue, and the merit lies in getting it without it. At the minimum that something changes, such a new large version of JRMC misses that optimal point. That is why it always takes me to change the version until it stabilizes.

Or it takes to update the Windows 10 version. For now I continue with 1809.

By the way, foobar2000 choked on FLAC 24/44 and KS: JRVAD Wave. It was constantly interrupted but when it sounded it was clearly better than with KS. Maybe some of my Win optimizations (always thinking of JRMC) will be appealing. I need time to know if it is timely or not and if it can be solved. I would say that the other day, when I did the capture of foobar2000 it sounded without problems with FLAC 24/96.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I have both Foobar and JRiver. Use monkeymote for the former and JRemote for the latter. I use a different player in linux despite owning a master licence already for JRiver. My default windows audio file player is Foobar. BUT, I use JRiver for listening to my personal music library/streaming radio stations/podcasts. JRemote allows me to listen to music from my PC while outside the house via wifi/LTE. I've also been able to watch/play blu-ray movies via LTE -- of course, I did not finish the films as I would have exceeded my data cap! But yes, I've successfully played movies that's streamed from my house PC to another address. Oh yeah, works outside the country as well. But to me, the most important defining feature is the zone playback which foobar simply lacks.

Top Bottom