• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

chosen_too

Some people listened to devices that may have a treble roll off, at a certain volume, then listened to a well-measuring one.

I'm was using RME ADI 2 DAC FS as reference, same active monitors, level matched with SPL meter. This time I used source switching device and my wife helped me with DBT.

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm was using RME ADI 2 DAC FS as reference, same active monitors, level matched with SPL meter. This time I used source switching device and my wife helped me with DBT.
And the result?

And, did she hear any difference too? ;)

chosen_too

And the result?

And, did she hear any difference too? ;)

RME has much better bass, solid, more focused, so there was no mistakes in my guesses. Test material was track Arroyo from The Mask album by Erik Truffaz.

My wife agreed to change d70 to adi 2 after listening sessions without a word - difference was so obvious.

chalex

RME has much better bass, solid, more focused, so there was no mistakes in my guesses. Test material was track Arroyo from The Mask album by Erik Truffaz.

My wife agreed to change d70 to adi 2 after listening sessions without a word - difference was so obvious.
I welcome You with pleasure ! I am very glad that in this " sanctuary " of AudioPrecision appeared another person who listens with his ears and is not afraid to go against the infallibility of pure sine drawn on the screen . Bass D70 is a shame . RCA output is a shame . The problem can be solved only with a soldering iron . For example this is what one person did with the output buffer D70 . He removed the flow capacitors and soldered the transformer output . There were low frequencies . He only did it because he very old and almost deaf, like Beethoven :oops:. He can't hear the things heard most of the guys on this forum :facepalm:.

Attachments

• D70-transformer output.jpg
    D70-transformer output.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

chosen_too

Oh noooooooooooooo you took the bait hook line and sinker :oops:o_O

Come on, there is no way to prove different sound without measuring them, right? Not a long time ago our knowledge of aerodynamics was so poor, that there was no way to explain why bumblebee can fly, it was against physics

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on, there is no way to prove different sound without measuring them, right? Not a long time ago our knowledge of aerodynamics was so poor, that there was no way to explain why bumblebee can fly, it was against physics

It wasn't against physics, but nice straw man.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just about every audiophile "reviewer" claims the "difference was so big my wife heard the huge difference, too" card. I was really hoping you weren't gonna go there but alas. Such statements do not add to credibility, rather the opposite.

You're speaking about audio like it is still something secret, not quite understood by physicists or scientists alike, you... do realise that's not quite right, do you? Because it very much is!

maty

Major Contributor
RME is a very popular brand in the EU pro world. And the technical service is very good too. Since it went on sale I checked the measurements that appear in the manual. Months later Amirm confirmed them.

RME ADCs are greatly appreciated by the EU lovers of vinyl rips from years.

chosen_too

Just about every audiophile "reviewer" claims the "difference was so big my wife heard the huge difference, too" card. I was really hoping you weren't gonna go there but alas. Such statements do not add to credibility, rather the opposite.

You're speaking about audio like it is still something secret, not quite understood by physicists or scientists alike, you... do realise that's not quite right, do you? Because it very much is!

Difference was huge for us, but I don't state it is huge for everyone.

chosen_too

Sometimes I peek at my huge

DAC. and tell my wife, ain't it better than all the rest, and she goes "yes dear, of course dear". That makes it true!

Try to swap some hw and don't tell about it, than just wait

IslandMD

A friend of mine has no problem with bass using D70 with his studio monitors, just to add to the anecdotal evidence of "not" confirming the "problem"
Hi guys. I've been lurking and learning for quite some time on this website but this is my first post. I thought I would chime in on this debate.

I bought a D70 a few months ago after reading amirm's excellent review. I was going to get a RME ADI-2 but decided the D70 should be sufficient since I didn't really need some of the RME's extra features. I'm using the D70's XLR outputs to feed an April Music Stello Ai500SE integrated and Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers in a dedicated listening room.

The subjective impressions in this thread about inadequate bass response have been puzzling to me. Let me start by saying this is a wonderful sounding DAC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bass output. Both the quantity and quality of the bass output is excellent. In fact, all aspects of this DAC's performance have been superlative. Smooth mids, crystal clear highs. No audible noise or hiss. No clicks when switching sample rates, FLAC, DSD, etc.

I'm very glad I bought the D70. I've had much more expensive DACs in my system and the D70 sounds as good as any of them.

typericey

The subjective impressions in this thread about inadequate bass response have been puzzling to me. Let me start by saying this is a wonderful sounding DAC. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bass output. Both the quantity and quality of the bass output is excellent. In fact, all aspects of this DAC's performance have been superlative. Smooth mids, crystal clear highs. No audible noise or hiss.

100% agree.

typericey

However, I do have a minor issue with clicks coming out of the speakers when switching sources. But I also have a work-around solution. Sharing for the benefit of those with the same issue. Details below:

My LG TV is connected to the D70 via optical. Then I have an Acer thin client connected via USB. I encounter a very soft click when switching from USB to optical, then a louder click when switching from optical to USB. The click happens only when there is no audio playing on the source I switch to. So to avoid the click, I just have to remember to play something on a source before I switch to it.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
PS Audio PerfectWave MKII with Bridge network card
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N network player
Ayre QB-9 DSD
Teac UD-503

Welcome by the way.