• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So when exactly is the stereo version being released? Has anyone tried the newly updated production model?

By their last post, the production model of DAC8 PRO isn't shipping yet, let alone the STEREO version.

rickyhgarcia

Depends on your source, of course. I can set JRiver or Roon to output a stereo source on any/all channels as I wish.

Thanks!! If I understand this correctly, the four pair of output channels can be configured independently at will. And with five two channels input, this is probably the most flexibility that can be had on any DAC. The PRO is probably a much better unit than the STEREO, not because of performance, but because of this flexibility, and at a lower price.

Like I said before, the Raspberry Pi may be a good feature, but since I am connecting a PC to the USB input, it would be redundant to have both.

g29

What is going on with the domestic demo tour? It has been about a month since the last demo tour post. Is the demo tour still in progress ?

Bliman

I am interested in the Stereo dac. Because I can replace the Grace Design m902 in my main system. And I hope that the stereo dac can fill in that role as preamp and dac and connect it to my lyngdorf sda 2175. And that to the very highest of standards. And as added bonus hopefully can stream to it from Tidal and such.

Bliman

What is going on with the domestic demo tour? It has been about a month since the last demo tour post. Is the demo tour still in progress ?
Pavel said to me that the stereo dac will launch and go on tour(in Europe) within a month of the unveiling/launch of the Dac 8.
I hope they will have a much better website in the future to. There is to little information on it. And it stays the same for too long.

g29

Jun 28, 2019
Just got a note from Pavel (Okto Research) stating that the DAC8 Pro will be „lauched“ (shipped?) in two to three weeks from now and the DAC8 Stereo „shortly after“. In order to say sorry for the delay and thanks for the patience Okto has decided to provide a lifetime warranty for all preordered units. ....

Jul 30, 2019
Pavel told me that the DAC8 PRO will be shipping in a week, but because of preorders, new orders won't be shipped for 1-2 months. The DAC8 Stereo will be launched in about a month.

It is September. Anyone received their production DAC8 PRO's yet ? Will ASR be measuring the redesign soon ?

money-pit-two-weeks-two-weeks-gif.png

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
The nanoSHARC version that was on HeadFI.

g29

The nanoSHARC version that was on HeadFI.

Cool, care to add any details ? How are you running it ( multichannel or triamping ) ? Nice stack of Benchmarks there.

JP

Major Contributor
Presently it's running my LXmini+2. Digital source is Mac mini via USB to the nanoSHARC, and phono is flat INAMP -> Benchmark ADC1 -> miniDSP OpenDRC-DI (RIAA). I'll play with the RPi later. Have the resistors on the way to bump the output up to ~26dBu so I can run the AHB2s in low gain mode.

Okto Research

We are going to start shipping DAC8 PRO's in the upcoming week. The waiting has been really long and I apologize for that. What showed up to be tricky and caused a delay is the firmware update functionality, which is not a simple task with a multi-processor system. But it would feel like a wasted opportunity to ship quite a capable hardware (16-core, 500MHz XU216 + 48MHz ARM Cortex-M0) without an option to add functions and capability in the future.

That would certainly work, but is too complicated. AES inputs in the DAC8 PRO are terminated with 110Ohms as required by the standard, while the SPDIF expects 75Ohms. So a 220-240Ohm additional termination resistor will do the justice, since the digital receivers in the DAC8 PRO handle both SPDIF and AES voltage levels. But in fact, no resistor is needed at all if the cables are not very long. So a simple XLR M/RCA F adapter might work just fine in that case.

Pavel, Okto Research

Bliman

We are going to start shipping DAC8 PRO's in the upcoming week. The waiting has been really long and I apologize for that. What showed up to be tricky and caused a delay is the firmware update functionality, which is not a simple task with a multi-processor system. But it would feel like a wasted opportunity to ship quite a capable hardware (16-core, 500MHz XU216 + 48MHz ARM Cortex-M0) without an option to add functions and capability in the future.

That would certainly work, but is too complicated. AES inputs in the DAC8 PRO are terminated with 110Ohms as required by the standard, while the SPDIF expects 75Ohms. So a 220-240Ohm additional termination resistor will do the justice, since the digital receivers in the DAC8 PRO handle both SPDIF and AES voltage levels. But in fact, no resistor is needed at all if the cables are not very long. So a simple XLR M/RCA F adapter might work just fine in that case.

Pavel, Okto Research
Thanks for the update.
Hope to hear some news from the stereo version as well.

wineds

Pavel, Okto Research

Excellent! Thanks Pavel

Neddy

Placed my order for a DAC Pro :p
Fingers crossed:eek: Hoping for a Not:facepalm:
Can't waito_O

g29

@Okto Research , It has been a couple of months since the last domestic tour report. Is the domestic tour still going on ?

TIA

Top Bottom