• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA: Best Audio DAC in the World?

digicidal

Major Contributor
@amirm , Does this mean it is about time for new measuring equipment ???

LOL. Give the current equipment time to get a little dust on it before writing it off as inadequate. ;)

Willem

Major Contributor
This is impressive indeed. Does it also have typincal classic pre amp features like balance, tone and loudness controls etc? Those were what made the RME ADI-2 the best DAC for me.

Bamyasi

Thank you @amirm, excellent work as usual! This makes me feel much more confident with placing my order. I just hope Matrix had stockpiled on X-Sabre Pro in advance and would be able to ship my unit soon :) I expect them running out of stock pretty fast now that ASR has spread the word (and plots).

Last edited:

Bamyasi

A quick question for @MatrixAudio: Can you please confirm that Power Holdings Inc. storefront on Amazon.com is your official vendor? Thank you.

gags11

Forum Donor
Wow, just wow!!!
I did kind of expect these results given how Element X measured, and the published specs for this DAC were better.

Having personally experienced this product, I can say the build quality is top notch. As some may have read my comparison thread to Mytek, I couldn’t tell the difference between them. But my ears are not as sensitive as Amir’s analyzer, lol.

Few things I have not mentioned in my comparison thread, and if anyone from Matrix reads this, I hope they have an answer.

Matrix is recognized by Roon and plays fine, but the volume cannot be adjusted through the Roon app. Did I miss something or is this because it is not Roon certified? I also had a glitch with few dsd 64 files, it would play static noise instead of music.

maty

Major Contributor
BIG picture from: https://www.suono.it/Hi-Fi/Articoli/Matrix-Audio-X-Sabre-Pro

Optimized

Matrix-Audio-X-SABRE-Pro-MQA-inside.jpg

More: https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/319.html

Built-in Pre-AMP

The line output of X-SABRE Pro can be configured with a +18dB digital gain. It's not necessary to add an additional pre-amplifier for low-gain active speakers. X-SABRE Pro also can work with power amplifier more conveniently and flexibly.

Last edited:

Bamyasi

My main concern at this point is that my Allo USBridge file transport won't recognize X-Sabre Pro since the chip Matrix has chosen to use for this particular model's USB interface is not very common. But we will see soon.

Willem

Major Contributor
I looked at the manual: unless it is incomplete, there are no controls for balance, tone, loudness, or parametric filtering. So even though I admire the measured results, at least for me the ADI-2 remains the practical winner, and in my country for a third of the price. After all, it too measures very well, and way beyond human hearing acuity. At that elevated level, response shaping controls are far more relevant. I am using each and every one of them, with measurable and audible results.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Yes, if you live in the EU the best option is the RME ADI-2 DAC, € 948 (now € 989 :( ) at Spanish home from Thomann. I LOVE the very good RME ADCs to make vinyl rips from many years! And the technical service is incredible good too.

filo97s

Would be interesting to see if the multi dac architecture from Esoteric or the fpga/discrete dac from dCS are on the same level...
Still, I definitely LOVE the design of the element series. For sure they are the best dacs from a technical and aesthetical point of view.

Top Bottom