• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro

mcphable

For those interested, I reached out to Topping last week to see if they could give me a release date for the DX7 Pro and here is their response:

"Thank you for your mail and sorry for the late reply!

DX7 Pro is now being adjust for better performance, which need a lot of time to finish. We expect to finish and released it on August. Sure our sellers will put it to Amazon later after our released."

Tks

Major Contributor
Hopefully it will result in a better outcome. They did something similar with a massive delay to the D70 Dac (I'm surprised it didn't perform better, but nonetheless, a great DAC, though the price is a bit ehh at the original MSRP).

This thing it looks like they're having more trouble than first anticipated, getting double troubled by the dreaded ESS hump (of which some DAC makers have been able to smooth over heavily to basically make it look as if it doesn't exist). But perhaps they're having luck compelling ESS to bring out some revision with silicon-level remedies (seeing as Topping said if I recall correctly, the ESS Hump is a hardware flaw with no software mitigation).

The second thing that seems to be delaying this thing is the DX3 Pro's sensitive opamp perhaps that have led to more than a non-trivial amount of failures of the entire device (as one user reported being offered a fix where the replacement resistor will raise the output impedance to a horrendous ~15ohms).

Regardless of the issues, it looks like they're taking the problems seriously to have delays of this length.

I just hope they go easy on the price premium (as they're seemingly trying to move up the pricing pecking order quite fast as we've seen with the D70). Nonetheless, I've wanted this device when it was first revealed. Though it's going to take quite a bit to get this RME DAC off my hands >_>

Veri

Master Contributor
Hopefully it will result in a better outcome. They did something similar with a massive delay to the D70 Dac (I'm surprised it didn't perform better, but nonetheless, a great DAC, though the price is a bit ehh at the original MSRP).

Well, I do think they more or less squeezed out every last bit out of the AKM4497 staying under $500. Now to wait for AKM4499 devices.. :)
The Yulong DA10 for example is marginally better but twice its cost.

Tks

Major Contributor
Any ideas of the probably MRSP ? 1k$ ish ?

For what? 4499 Devices? Far far more than $1K I'd say, its a pretty big hardware shift and upgrade in terms of the schematics it seems. Capabilities, and work around the chip seem like it will take quite a bit of work to squeeze the best out of the chip.

Jimmy

They already have some competition in the form of Sabaj DA5, although the Sabaj doesn't have bluetooth and the headphone amplification seems inferior on paper :

https://www.amazon.com/Sabaj-Conver...5&qid=1562403793&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

So sure they will increase the price compared to DX7S, but up to a limit, and if it's worth will of course depend on performance for the final product, a pre-production unit according to Head-fi had a measured SINAD value of approximately 107dB, but anyway it's likely that Topping will send a production unit to Amir for review, so let's wait and see how it goes.

This thing it looks like they're having more trouble than first anticipated, getting double troubled by the dreaded ESS hump (of which some DAC makers have been able to smooth over heavily to basically make it look as if it doesn't exist). But perhaps they're having luck compelling ESS to bring out some revision with silicon-level remedies (seeing as Topping said if I recall correctly, the ESS Hump is a hardware flaw with no software mitigation).

The second thing that seems to be delaying this thing is the DX3 Pro's sensitive opamp perhaps that have led to more than a non-trivial amount of failures of the entire device (as one user reported being offered a fix where the replacement resistor will raise the output impedance to a horrendous ~15ohms).

Regardless of the issues, it looks like they're taking the problems seriously to have delays of this length.

I just hope they go easy on the price premium (as they're seemingly trying to move up the pricing pecking order quite fast as we've seen with the D70). Nonetheless, I've wanted this device when it was first revealed. Though it's going to take quite a bit to get this RME DAC off my hands >_>

OP
M

mcphable

I emailed again to see if they're still on track for release in August and asked for estimated pricing. Here's what they said:

"Sorry DX7Pro will delay to at least September, we do not have price yet but sure will higher than DX7s."

Tks

Major Contributor
;(

First the D70 with ton of delays, now this.

Any news on the D50S that Amir reviewed?

Music1969

Major Contributor
DX7 Pro is using ESS DAC chip. Not sure which exactly though. They've solved the ESS IMD hump with their D50s anyway.

Rollaven

I send them an email and Topping Sales replied the following:

"DX7 Pro has now finished all adjusting and are now preparing for production. Usually, we will release it after the production is completed. We expect to release it at the end of September. "

Hopefully, Amir will receive a unit soon for testing.;)

Victoria

I know Topping are pretty good with safety certification but since this will be an AC powered device, can you please check safety (like you have with Schiit products in the past).

Ohhh. Didn't realise that some Topping products come with a built in power supply! This is something I always prefer as I just like to run IEC C13 cables since they're easy to trim to my desired length, plus "wall warts" don't really work too well for me due to the way I've got my power strip mounted, and external bricks are, well, ugly.

Is there a comprehensive list of all Topping products anywhere? Their product lineup really confuses me at times.

I see there's also a D70 which does away with the headphone amplifier, so maybe that's more for me. But I also noticed that the D70 isn't just a DX7 without a headphone amplifier, it uses a completely different DAC chip too.

Veri

Master Contributor
I see there's also a D70 which does away with the headphone amplifier, so maybe that's more for me. But I also noticed that the D70 isn't just a DX7 without a headphone amplifier, it uses a completely different DAC chip too.
The D-- line are their DACs. The DX- line are (balanced) dac/amps. NX- line are portable amps or dac/amps.
Then there's speaker-oriented gear like MX3, PA3, TP-- amps etc.

Last edited:

Victoria

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Got this measurement from Topping.
6349c313f9f50b16.png
And they will release in early October. Late September to be optimistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom