• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Valhalla 2 Headphone Amp

mshenay

I was using the Audacity software and playing a piano wav file I added even harmonics to it and the sound became worse.
Adding odd harmonics was more terrible.

Well done, rather than try your steak sous vide you boiled it in a plastic baggie...

Non the less apparently the way Tubes amplify is such that harmonics are presented without the same "hardness" or unnatural edge as in how solid state gear reproduces the same harmonics, the idea is that they don't "clip" like transistors do. Again I'm quoting as it's all more or less subjective and I'm not an expert, I've just sharing what was shared with me from quite a few sources.

It isn't just the addition of 2nd order harmonics but how, so again there is no "myth" an if your really curious about "Tubes" the Loxjie P20 is a pretty nice tube amp imo, get it on amazon so you've got a return policy and give it a listen. If you like it great and if your hate it also great, either way you'll have had a chance to hear "tubes" and then some one else will get a great deal on your lightly used in mint condition but now returned P20

There's no wrong answer here, if you think the tube sounds "worse" that's fine, it is added distortion after all. But still in a hobby like this where your enjoyment is highly subjective and singular to your self you should try things for your self and not blindly follow the opinions of others in an effort to fit in. An maybe that's not what your doing but... if it is again your only denying yourself enjoyment. An granted this isn't a community that embraces any of the "tube" ideology and that's fine! I enjoy the measurements posted, but I also don't like seeing simple things... "mystified" an it's simple tubes operate different from solid state or literally they recreate and amplify sine waves differently

Here's a nice article actually that has some good links and references!

mshenay

I have a Loxjie P20.
I am trying to understand why the Loxjie P20 plays the piano more pleasantly than the JDS Atom.
I am looking for an another better amplifier with similar sound.
The P20 has only 2nd harmonic distortion. Loxjie p20 measurements

Ahh so there you go, you've heard the difference between tube and solid state. All I can say is what I've read and have been told, and apparently the way that tubes amplify reproduce [in some cases] a more "natural" or pleasant sound [subjectively]... beyond that I can't say why

I'll mention that comparing measurements works best if your looking at two different products measured on the same system and by the same person

For better or worse there are slight variations for the same performance or product between different users and systems, so comparing Amirm's measurements with Bobs isn't likely going to be much help.

magicscreen

It also has an output impedance of 50ohm..
Yes, that is a problem for low impedance headphones, but I am using a 300 ohm HD6XX.

Anyway, I have not found a tube amplifier with only audible 2nd harmonic distortion measurement on this site :) Always there is audible 3rd, etc.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yes, that is a problem for low impedance headphones, but I am using a 300 ohm HD6XX.

Anyway, I have not found a tube amplifier with only audible 2nd harmonic distortion measurement on this site :) Always there is audible 3rd, etc.
300 ohm on a 50 ohm output impedance is still only 6x the output impedance.
it is said that 8x is required for it to be "transparent" and others argue that its 10x in order for there to be no change.
Probably it will depend on the headphone itself; because some headphones are more sensitive to impedance than others.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had the P20 as well and the bass sounded really "boomy", to me, even with 300ohm Sennheiser. I dislike high impedance outputs...

rmo

I have bought several Schiit items and most of them have had something rattling around inside the case , probably a loose screw of some sort.

It seems not only do they need to improve their technical measurements but also their quality control.

eyecent

Thank you for your good review. I look forward to a review of a schiit asgard2 or asgard3

threni

Major Contributor
Thank you for your good review. I look forward to a review of a schiit asgard2 or asgard3

Yes, I'm interested in a review of the Asgard 3 with the internal ak4490 dac card.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, I'm interested in a review of the Asgard 3 with the internal ak4490 dac card.
While interesting indeed, I'm pretty sure it won't be far off the Jotunheim+AK4490, but due to lower price lacking a balanced XLR output.
I think one can expect around 96dB SINAD which is 'fine'.

index.php

DarkLord

Honestly, who would even waste time measuring the noise floor of an OTL tube amp? There's no limit to human stupidity!

Veri

Master Contributor
Honestly, who would even waste time measuring the noise floor of an OTL tube amp? There's no limit to human stupidity!
:rolleyes: This way we can compare tube amps. A lower noise floor would obviously be preferable...

Or what, you actually like an amp unusable with higher sensitivity phones?

Paperdragons

Seems a bit aggressive. Never a good reason to act like this. If you truly don't understand why this is an important metric, you could just ask without tacking on ad hominem fallacies.

Grattle

Seems a bit aggressive. Never a good reason to act like this. If you truly don't understand why this is an important metric, you could just ask without tacking on ad hominem fallacies.

Where are your tender hearts when people are bashing Schiit and Schiit owners? The hypocrisy of this site is boundless. How about you reign in the person who has never heard this amp, but thinks all it's buyers are fools? You debate endlessly about measurements even when it's all inaudible beyond an easily attainable threshold. After a certain threshold, the measurements are meaningless.

This site exists only to enrich Amir. I don't know why I am even trying. Most of you are just lemmings.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This site exists only to enrich Amir. I don't know why I am even trying. Most of you are just lemmings.

If you're just going to troll, from a post 7 months old, you might as well quit trying now.

Coming in to throw insults isn't going to get you very far.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We’re all lemmings... mankind is doomed to self destruction...

scorePO

Is it such a big problem that products you obviously like and want to defend beyond measure are simply below average. Why not accept the facts and still be subjectively happy with it?

Top Bottom