• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$399 24K Gold Record Clamp, Tonearm Lifter

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

It's not making any sonic claims, but the ziggurat action of the arm climbing the clamp is cool.

I don't know if it's $399 cool, though, especially since you have to clamp a doohickey to your headshell.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That looks like an expensive piece of gold coloured plastic. Or is it actually metal ?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Somehow, that gold plating made it look like cheap plastic on the video ... :p

But still, its way more complicated than it needs to. A simple hand grip at the top would have been suffice imo.
Also, not sure if its actually a good idea to run the cartridge needle over a metal surface repeatedly though ?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Somehow, that gold plating made it look like cheap plastic on the video ... :p

But still, its way more complicated than it needs to. A simple hand grip at the top would have been suffice imo.
Also, not sure if its actually a good idea to run the cartridge needle over a metal surface repeatedly though ?

I don't think the needle is touching the metal.

The object that crawls up the ramp is that vertical dealie bob mounted on top of the headshell, hanging down to the left of the cart body.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Oh yes indeed. My bad, you are correct on that !

But that brings up another question though: Would those additional attachments to the arm cause load balance issues with it??

Nothing personal against the product here, just a genuine engineering question.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

But that brings up another question though: Would those additional attachments to the arm cause load balance issues with it??

You'll probably have to adjust VTF, for sure.

I don't know what it might do to azimuth and anti-skate.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find myself wondering what the chance of it slipping of and dropping the cart back down is. It's a nice low tech solution to being too lazy or drunk to get up and deal with it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I wonder if most TTs are designed to have such weight imposed on the main bearing. I doubt it. :cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's pretty funny. I never saw anything like that before. But for four Ben Franklins I could buy a lot of records, and just get up off my A to lift the tonearm up at the end of the record. So many trade-offs with analog! LOL

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

They list a 1.8g and .9g attachment definitely need VTF adjustment.

garbulky

Major Contributor
My tone arm has a auto lift mechanism that puts it back to rest.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
It obviously has magical properties which will provide orgasmic pleasure while spinning LP's.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's pretty funny. I never saw anything like that before. But for four Ben Franklins I could buy a lot of records, and just get up off my A to lift the tonearm up at the end of the record. So many trade-offs with analog! LOL

I use my Fitbit to keep track of the exercise I get flipping records.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost.

I could have added something about eating avocado toast while drinking a craft cocktail out of a mason jar and mixing my own beard oil.
You need to remember to leave time to hand grind your espresso and tie up your man bun.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Almost.

I could have added something about eating avocado toast while drinking a craft cocktail out of a mason jar and mixing my own beard oil.

Are you guys old enough to remember "Serial" with Martin Mull? I had a friend from California that didn't understand why it was funny, they thought it was serious.

Top Bottom