• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UK Travel Recommendations (audio and non-audio)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be based somewhere in the Midlands (probably the Coventry area) for the first few months of next year, but can travel throughout the UK. Does anyone have any recommendations, especially insider recommendations off most mainstream lists? I'm into craft stuff (especially leathercraft, woodworking and bespoke tailoring), heritage, nice gardens, engineering (especially cars - thinking of popping up to Malvern to the Morgan factory), nice hearty food and local produce. Looking for small breweries/distilleries to try as well.

Of course, I'd also love to put in some listening time with an top-tier evidence-based audio setup with little voodoo - especially things like DD/Kiis, well-measuring line arrays, Synergy horns, multisubs. Any places that'd have those?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have any recommendations, especially insider recommendations off most mainstream lists?
Not specifically, but do go to the top rated places on whatever guide you favour.

Heritage, we have so much of that it's difficult to know where to start. Look at English Heritage and the National Trust. Nice gardens are also plentiful at these places.

Hearty food sounds like a trip to the pub, mmm pubs, we have a few of those, great ones as well. Check the CAMRA app and the Cask Mark app for some sort of guide. I highly recommend learning to like real ale, it's something only really available in the UK and is great, we have so many brewery's making it you will never manage to try them all. Ignore the size of the brewery, it isn't a good guide to quality.

English distilleries I'm not sure about, Scottish is a whole other thing.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
English distilleries I'm not sure about, Scottish is a whole other thing.

I can do Scotland as well.

Which Scottish distilleries do you recommend? I know about and have tried whiskies from the large mainstream ones (Johnnie Walker, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet etc) - would you reckon they're still worth a visit, or should I be looking at other distilleries under the radar? Thanks for the suggestions.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Which Scottish distilleries do you recommend? I know about and have tried whiskies from the large mainstream ones (Johnnie Walker, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet etc) - would you reckon they're still worth a visit, or should I be looking at other distilleries under the radar? Thanks for the suggestions.
I don't know which ones are worth visiting, they have apparently got into this a lot in the last few years, so some have great tours that may offset your opinion of their whisky.
I'm not that sure about under the radar distilleries, it used to be the case lots were quite unknown and used just in blends, but almost all have single malts out now, and they taste so different personal preference is key. I'm a huge fan of the Islay ones, with lots of peat, and also quite a few of the Highland ones which are a more refined turned down version, but I'm bored by the Speyside ones mainly, but I also like the lowlands producers. You need to find someone to give your a crash course, and make notes, because you won't remember in the morning.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you get stuck somewhere and are thirsty they are ok, but pubs get much better.
I don't recommend Wetherspoon pubs as places to eat or drink but, instead, as ways to see "real" Britain, in the same way that McDonald's/Wal Mart outside of big cities in the United States are good ways to see "real" America. They are places to interact with normal folk, irrespective of whether one approves of their consumer preferences.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't recommend Wetherspoon pubs as places to eat or drink but, instead, as ways to see "real" Britain, in the same way that McDonald's/Wal Mart outside of big cities in the United States are good ways to see "real" America. They are places to interact with normal folk, irrespective of whether one approves of their consumer preferences.
Ah, real Britain, as imaginary and impossible to define as real American no doubt, but also sort of true. It encompasses such diverse elements as country pubs where everyone talks about blood sports and drives range rovers, the upper middle classes who complain about being poor with zero self awareness or irony, vibrant urban music scenes, bland food, spicy food etc. Basically we are a hot mess of contradictions, some we embrace enthusiastically, many we just don't see.

Anyway I agree with both the following lists of pubs.
https://londonist.com/london/drink/11-of-the-best-wetherspoons-in-london
https://www.timeout.com/london/bars-and-pubs/londons-best-historic-pubs

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For heritage and nice gardens, I don't think you can do better than the National Trust. As you're staying for a few months and will be visiting several properties, an annual membership will be cheaper than individual entrance fees.

English Heritage is more about castles and antique ruins whilst the NT is more about houses and gardens, although there's a lot of overlap. The NT also owns a lot of the coastline to preserve it from development, with many fine walks and views.

If you come to East Anglia, there's my favourite Whisky distillery (St George's) in Norfolk.

S.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will offer a few of my favourites, but clearly these are based on my own interests:

IWM Duxford, one of the finest aviation museums in the world, if you like aircraft (and also combat vehicles) you could spend many days here and not get bored. Just outside Cambridge it is pretty easy to reach using public transport.

RAF Museum, Hendon and Cosford sites. The Hendon site is in North London, Cosford is on the site of RAF Cosford just outside Telford (near Birmingham). Both of the sites are superb, I prefer Cosford now as they swapped some of the exhibits and Cosford got a few things that used to be in Hendon. Free entry, both are easy to reach using public transport.

The three museums in London Kensington, the Victoria and Albert, Science Museum and Natural History Museum. All three are pretty much next door to each other, and free entry. The one I'd recommend you check out and which many ignore is the V&A. The V&A is a museum of fashion, jewellery, ceramics, glass etc, it's a museum I thought would be boring but it is truly fascinating and I could spend many days in there, the collection is remarkable.

Also in London, the British Museum and the national Gallery are within easy walking distance of each other and free entry, the National Gallery is in Trafalgar Square which is an iconic location and feeds into both Whitehall and the Mall, one if an interesting walk up to Parliament and Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, the other a lovely walk up to Buckingham Palace.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, this is part of Portsmouth naval base and home to HMS Victory and HMS Warrior amongst other things (the Victory is still in commission and still has a commanding officer).

Blenheim Palace, near Oxford, if you like stately homes and palaces then this is the grandest of them and well worth a visit.

If you want to see lovely country then I'd recommend Snowdonia, the Cotswolds, Lake District and Yorkshire Dales national parks. Snowdonia and North Wales is a wonderful place to visit with loads of things to see and do, and not that far from Coventry. You can do these with public transport but it is much more convenient if you are happy to hire a car.

You will be close to Stratford on Avon, bit touristy and a bit of a Shakespeare olde world theme park but nevertheless worth a visit. Oxford is a nice city (well the centre is). There is actually a very good motor museum in the centre of Coventry, and it is free to enter. The national museum of motoring is also close to Coventry.

For music, Coventry is close to Birmingham for the CBSO, while there is more good live music in London (of all genres) than you can shake a stick at.

For a short day trip from Coventry, take the train to Bletchley and visit Bletchley Park (it is just over the road from the railway station, frequent trains) where Alan Turing worked and the Bombes broke codes.

I could go on, but these are just a few things I'd recommend.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
English Heritage is more about castles and antique ruins whilst the NT is more about houses and gardens, although there's a lot of overlap.
I've always thought of them the other way around, but they both have excellent websites to plan from based on whatever you prefer. They both have great stuff.

mansr

Major Contributor
heritage, nice gardens,
As others have said, English Heritage and the National Trust have some great places.

engineering (especially cars - thinking of popping up to Malvern to the Morgan factory)
The National Motor Museum in Beaulieu has a nice collection of old cars, should you find yourself down south. Adjacent is an old "house" and garden. It's all within the New Forest national park.

The Imperial War Museum also gets my recommendation.

nice hearty food
A Sunday roast in a traditional pub won't disappoint. Also look out for good pies. Lots of great Indian food to be found as well.

Looking for small breweries
There are countless small breweries. Find an independently run pub (free house) with a rotating ale selection and come back often.

Outside the categories you mentioned, I'd recommend a visit to the Roman baths in Bath. Salisbury cathedral (hosts an original copy of the Magna Carta) and the nearby Stonehenge make another nice day trip.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be based somewhere in the Midlands (probably the Coventry area) for the first few months of next year, but can travel throughout the UK. Does anyone have any recommendations, especially insider recommendations off most mainstream lists? I'm into craft stuff (especially leathercraft, woodworking and bespoke tailoring), heritage, nice gardens, engineering (especially cars - thinking of popping up to Malvern to the Morgan factory), nice hearty food and local produce. Looking for small breweries/distilleries to try as well.

Of course, I'd also love to put in some listening time with an top-tier evidence-based audio setup with little voodoo - especially things like DD/Kiis, well-measuring line arrays, Synergy horns, multisubs. Any places that'd have those?

Bletchley park is worth a tour if you are interested in the whole history around ww2 code breaking and early computing, the volunteer tour guides really know their stuff and they have the bombe and colossus fully restored.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 snowdonia, the Llangollen canal is a masterpiece of engineering. Anglesey is next door and is frankly stunning, oodles of history and was considered by wealthy victorians to be the ultimate holiday destination.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You’ll also get to hear welsh being spoken as a first language, which is amazing. Also worth mentioning that most of the big London museums are free, Victoria and Albert always have a fascinating craft oriented thing or two on.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Mcallan ? Guinness ?

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mcallan ? Guinness ?

Yeah, both are on the list (strong recommendations from friends), just wanted to get see if there might be some interesting independents I'm missing. Thanks a lot!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I have not been back to the UK in well over 15 years now. So, I'm kinda lost touch with what's current now though.
A few friends just went last year, so these 2 were on their lists.

Talking of which, a niece is studying in London now, perhaps time is due for a trip soon too. :)

Top Bottom