• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Krunok

Major Contributor
You mean that time where the seller of the cable fixed the order and there was no problem of said miscommunication, whatsoever? :rolleyes:

Yep, seller played fair so pure chap who listened to you didn't suffer loss but it still speaks much about your "competence".

??? What do you think this is, a fight club? Try and get a hold of yourself dude, you're embarrassment to yourself and to the forum with that attitude of yours.

Difficult childhood, ha? Complex relation with mother i bet - no wonder you ended up being so pathetic.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It's a shame people can't do a little more independent reading, instead of just believing whoever answers..

Oh they can - these days huge ammount of knowledge is readilly available to anyone via their smartphone, but you still need to want to read though..

Veri

Master Contributor
Oh they can - these days huge ammount of knowledge is readilly available to anyone via their smartphone, but you still need to want to read though..
This coming from you?
"We must have" is not an answer, you should explain why.
Why would you need 100MHz when DAC chip doesn't output frequencies even remotely close to that?

@777's "You must read, a lot." was directed at you, you know.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 13.32.28.png

Some humility would do you well.

Veri

Master Contributor

Krunok

Major Contributor
This coming from you?

@777's "You must read, a lot." was directed at you, you know.

View attachment 31700

Some humility would do you well.

Oh, well look at this, we have another Google engineer! :D

Are you also saying that OPA2134 and also OPA1612 shouldn't be used in I/V stage as their GBP is too low (8 and 11MHz)? :D

How about you and your buddy @777 read this post. Here is what it says:

"In all cases, even with the most expensive tester, you can't measure everything out of the box. For example, if you drop $30K on an a state of the art audio tester, you won't be able to even slightly detect the distortion of a modern $2 opamp like the OPA1612. In those cases, engineers have been forced to find ways to make a series of measurements that tease that performance out. For opamps, there are circuits such as "distortion magnifiers" (see TI OPA1612 spec for schematic) that will force the opamp to distort 100X more than normal. "

So much about OPA 1612, and OPA2134 for that matter, not being capable to do I/V conversion.

Last edited:

guenthi_r

With a proper engineered DAC you will not hear a difference changing digital cables. No way. sorry.

Never heard a difference changing digital cables.....sorry.
(if the cable isnt broken)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

guenthi_r

Apparently, the totaldac Gigafilter USB makes things worse. Perhaps a kind of DSP in it? Definitely degrading performance.

http://patatorz.com/2018/05/14/test-review-retour-rapide-sur-le-totaldac-gigafilter/ (in french)

"The tonal balance is translated to the lows. We lose the cymbals on the Sophie Hunger track."

Maybe in future we see a picture of an disassembled/opened gigafilter, then we know whats inside...

Edit:
The USB connector/cable is coming from Phoenix Contact
Edit2:
Here it is the connector/cable: Ebay

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Btw, as Totaldac USB GIGAFILTER is an exceptional piece of snake oil product it deserves to be shown - read and enjoy! :D

P.S. I'm not sure how it can replace USB power supplies but it says it can even do that! :D

Capture.JPG

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose we have different interpretations of what we see and read (not just in the main topic).

Please copy here a sentence from Amir's review which you think supports your view.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Regarding the USB cables, no mistery there - longer cable will pick up more RF noise than shorter cable and that can interfere with analog stage of the DAC if it is not designed properly. Poorly shielded USB cable can also interfere with analog stage by introducing USB packet noise.

Only very poor designs suffer from these effects, even cheap modern DACs that are properly designed don't need expensive cables, USB filters, linear power supplies and other crap.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize in advance, but which part of my last post did you not understand?

I see two overlapping curves and a sentence : "With decent DACs, USB cable does not matter".

What do you see?

Veri

Master Contributor
I see different behavior of two cables.
But if you like what Amir wrote, so be it.
Defying measureable, repeatable and thus provable lack of any benefit to expensive USB cables is plain ignorance, minifying that to "liking" what Amir wrote is just making light of that. Read the conclusion of the article you already linked, or this later one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-wireworld-starlight-7-usb-cable.6599/

Now before subjectivists start to celebrate, as I clearly noted, none of those mains components are remotely audible (or you would hear them with generic cables and we don't). And at any rate, no improvements were made whatsoever in actual distortion products. In the case of D50, we actually made things worse a bit.

I guess it is good to find things that we think are totally waste of money, actually produce some measurable improvement. For $100, I wouldn't make fun of anyone buying one of these unless they started to say it made things sound better.

Your claim of "different behavior" is just a purely anecdotal claim with absolutely nothing back it I'm afraid.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I see different behavior of DAC with two different cables.
But if you like what Amir wrote, so be it.
Where is it. Evidence supports claims. Where is the evidence. Show the measurements then we can talk.

Top Bottom