• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

cenix

Hello, I have been following the conversation surrounding this DAC+AMP for a bit now. Currently still thinking about going D10 + ATOM or just the DX3. I have a couple questions and I hope that some people in here can help me with those:

1. Is there any other way in which I can connect my phone (LG V30) to the DX3, other than using bluetooth? I was thinking about connect a USB-C OTG adapter to my phone and then the USB-B to USB-A to the OTG adapter. Would this work?

2. Suppose I do use bluetooth, would the audio quality be hindered in any way, as opposed to a direct-line-connection?

3. When it comes to audio quality, is the DX3 inferior to D10 + ATOM combo, if I don't need the extra power from the latter setup?

4. I am thinking about buying the Tin Hifi P1. Many have claimed that an AMP is pretty much a prerequisite for that IEM. Is this enough to drive it? (I'm just about 99.9% sure, but wouldn't hurt to ask if someone has experience with this).

Thank you for your time :)

auronthas

Hello, I have been following the conversation surrounding this DAC+AMP for a bit now. Currently still thinking about going D10 + ATOM or just the DX3. I have a couple questions and I hope that some people in here can help me with those:

1. Is there any other way in which I can connect my phone (LG V30) to the DX3, other than using bluetooth? I was thinking about connect a USB-C OTG adapter to my phone and then the USB-B to USB-A to the OTG adapter. Would this work?

2. Suppose I do use bluetooth, would the audio quality be hindered in any way, as opposed to a direct-line-connection?

3. When it comes to audio quality, is the DX3 inferior to D10 + ATOM combo, if I don't need the extra power from the latter setup?

4. I am thinking about buying the Tin Hifi P1. Many have claimed that an AMP is pretty much a prerequisite for that IEM. Is this enough to drive it? (I'm just about 99.9% sure, but wouldn't hurt to ask if someone has experience with this).

Welcome to ASR.

1. Yes, it works fine using USB-C OTG and USB-A Male to USB-B Male to DX3.
2. Direct connection is better than Bluetooth in terms of audio quality.
3. No comments, have not hear them before
4. No comments, no experience on Tin Hifi P1 . however, the spec is like Final Audio E4000... at 95 dB sensitivity, 20ohm impedance , perhaps to get a decent DAP ?

Noob2313

Audio quality on the DX3 Pro is excellent, both in headphone mode and in DAC mode. You will not gain anything from using a D10 + Atom instead. I had a D10 + Liquid Spark combo for 30 days. It was good, but in my opinion the DX3 Pro is even better.

Plus, with the DX3 Pro you get it all integrated into one box (DAC + headphone amp) with no need for the expense and the tangle of interconnect cables (which can also degrade audio quality).

Unfortunately, the reliability of the DX3 Pro is another issue altogether. I've had two v1 units fail with the "stuck in standby" problem and my v2 unit is having problems with overheating. See the details here. Of course, YMMV...

lator

There are USB-C to USB-B cables as well. At least working just fine with my s10e.

cenix

Welcome to ASR.

1. Yes, it works fine using USB-C OTG and USB-A Male to USB-B Male to DX3.
2. Direct connection is better than Bluetooth in terms of audio quality.
3. No comments, have not hear them before
4. No comments, no experience on Tin Hifi P1 . however, the spec is like Final Audio E4000... at 95 dB sensitivity, 20ohm impedance , perhaps to get a decent DAP ?

Thank you for responding, I will make sure to use a direct connection. :)

Regarding Tin P1, I am just going to assume that the DX3 is more than enough to drive it. It would be somewhat silly if it fails to drive an IEM (although a planar) properly.

Audio quality on the DX3 Pro is excellent, both in headphone mode and in DAC mode. You will not gain anything from using a D10 + Atom instead. I had a D10 + Liquid Spark combo for 30 days. It was good, but in my opinion the DX3 Pro is even better.

Plus, with the DX3 Pro you get it all integrated into one box (DAC + headphone amp) with no need for the expense and the tangle of interconnect cables (which can also degrade audio quality).

Unfortunately, the reliability of the DX3 Pro is another issue altogether. I've had two v1 units fail with the "stuck in standby" problem and my v2 unit is having problems with overheating. See the details here. Of course, YMMV...

I am not familiar with the Liquid Spark AMP, but I see that it's around 100$ as well. However, ATOM is supposed to be the absolute best around 100$, so I am assuming that it's better than the Liquid Spark.

It is very convenient that I would have everything in 1 box if I went with the DX3, as you said. Besides, it's a pain having to deal with potential customs fees if I decide to order the ATOM from JDS Labs website. Realistically, it would be more like 160-170$ if shipping and customs are added, just for the ATOM.

I am ordering from Amazon Germany (although it's from Shenzen Audio, a third-party seller), so any potential issues will be dealt with swiftly, hopefully.

There are USB-C to USB-B cables as well. At least working just fine with my s10e.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have ordered this cable just in case.

EDIT: After reading more into connecting phones to DACs, it seems that Google blew it with Android Pie. They removed the "audio source" option from the developer mode. So, Android Pie users won't be able to use their phones are source to signal music over USB. This makes @lator's post rather dubious, since he has a Samsung S10, which runs Android Pie.

Anyone found a way to have their phone as source over USB to DACs, in Android Pie?

Last edited:

auronthas

Thank you for responding, I will make sure to use a direct connection. :)

Regarding Tin P1, I am just going to assume that the DX3 is more than enough to drive it. It would be somewhat silly if it fails to drive an IEM (although a planar) properly.

EDIT: After reading more into connecting phones to DACs, it seems that Google blew it with Android Pie. They removed the "audio source" option from the developer mode. So, Android Pie users won't be able to use their phones are source to signal music over USB. This makes @lator's post rather dubious, since he has a Samsung S10, which runs Android Pie.

Anyone found a way to have their phone as source over USB to DACs, in Android Pie?

DX3 will definitely able to drive Tin P1, it can drive my HD650 300ohm well :D

Recently I connected my S10+ (Android Pie) to DX3 via USB-OTG <> USB-B and USB-C <> USB-B, both also able to play the audio files
, but let me check again later ...

Or you can install USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) apps to try?

cenix

DX3 will definitely able to drive Tin P1, it can drive my HD650 300ohm well :D

Recently I connected my S10+ (Android Pie) to DX3 via USB-OTG <> USB-B and USB-C <> USB-B, both also able to play the audio files
, but let me check again later ...

Or you can install USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) apps to try?

It will work with UAPP, they have listed the device HERE. But, I was questioning whether it worked in Android Pie just on its own. Either way, it seems to be a moot point atm, as UAPP is quite cheap, so ye.

lator

Thank you for the suggestion, I have ordered this cable just in case.

For the record I am using UAPP for music and other apps with DX3 pro Bluetooth connection to keep my phone wireless.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I ordered V2 because I want to use it with my 30 Ohm armature plugs KZ ZS-10 PRO and my 32 Ohm Sony MDR-XB950B1. To solve V2 high impedance issue I also ordered 80 Ohm impedance plug https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32892202826.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7c1033edmPik3h My V2 is on its way from China. Is it a good solution? I want to have good enough amp to be able to test and buy more advanced headphones, like LCD-2, or maybe Fostex T50RP MK3 or Hifiman Sundara. Now I only have Sony XZ Premium phone with 835 chip (no added amp) which has 24/192 direct mode and Fiio A3 amp. I have pretty powerfull 4 cores 8 threads i7 laptop and am going to use V2 in up-to DSD512 mode with some suitable for Win7 player. Also I consider using a balanced cable with V2. What do you think?
The impedance plug only make things worse. It's basically the same thing as the output impedance. Adding more casuing more severe issue. It will definitely shift frequency response of zs10 even more. So don't use it. The internal 10ohm will also cause frequency response to shift. Other headphones like planars or high impedance dynamic type won't likely to suffer from this. You may hear a little bit bass boost with sony. But nothing to worry about too much.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

3, No.
4, More than enough.

Rodorufo

3, No.
4, More than enough.

I am having trouble choosing between these DACs in terms of sound quality alone:
FX-AUDIO DAC-X7 or TOPPING D30 or TOPPING DX3 Pro

I have an AKG Q701 headphones.
I will use it as DAC for watching movie, and MUSIC from my PC.
Currently I am using Fiio X3 Second gen + Fiio A3 amp for my set-up. Are any of the said DACs will be a step-up in terms of sound quality?

cenix

For the record I am using UAPP for music and other apps with DX3 pro Bluetooth connection to keep my phone wireless.

Ah yes, I should have edited my post and clarified when I found out about it. Sorry about that.

I have bought the DX3 from Amazon (as well as Tin Hifi P1), hope it's a good unit. After reading this thread, it seems to be hit and miss kind of thing.

You guys convinced me, thanks for all the advice. :)

Gray

Orders from seller "fanmusic" on Amazon come from "Shenzhen Audio Store", mine was shipped from China and was a v2.

But when I check amazon.it I see there are 2 different sellers, both "Shenzhen Audio Store", but one is also "sent by Amazon", if you picked that one it's probably an older stock of dx3 pro's Amazon stored at their local warehouses.

Saffuria

Yes, I chose the one “sent by Amazon “ to avoid customs. The pictures showed in Amazont.it, including specs sheet, are of a v2.
The one I received came from a German Amazon depot, as I see from order tracing.

Last edited:

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
If Amir is so inclined, I'd love to see objective measurements of the two headphone amps. I just purchased the V1 from 'Drop but received V2 and as I use it solely as a DAC+Headphone Amp I'm curious. In truth, I doubt my ears could tell any significant difference especially with my mid-range cans (HD6XX, HD58X, 'Austria' k701, etc) but where's the fun in not obsessing?!
Hat's off to Topping for addressing their users' issues!

Trust Drop to ship mixed stock lol Buying from that site is like buying a lucky dip; you don't know what you're going to get

Top Bottom