• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Been kicking around the idea of getting a new SSD for my music server, my 12 year old spinner drive is full and I needed to do something.
Started poking around at Newegg and I can't believe how low the prices currently are! The Crucial MX500 1TB drive was around $160 dollars when I first looked last year. Today I looked and it was down to $107.99, free shipping and no tax. Reviewed 281 times for a 4 star average. SOLD :D I almost got the 2TB but don't need it now, maybe when I get around to building that new silent box I keep threatening to do the 2TB will be even cheaper and I'll add it then.
Looking back I paid Newegg $189 for my OCZ 60gb SSD in 2008. o_O At least it's still running strong. (Knock wood)
https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500-1tb/p/N82E16820156174?Description=crucial mx500&cm_re=crucial_mx500-_-20-156-174-_-Product
BTW, been doing most all my computer business needs with Newegg forever. Service and pricing has always been top shelf.
Just sayin

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Newegg has a 2 TB SSD at around $90.00 IRC this week-end .. Lost the link .. Sorry.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just got the BX-500 1TB during amazon prime daze for ~ $80. The MX was also about the same price; apparently its slightly better...? (My google-fu failed me under time pressure.)
Haven't installed it yet, maybe this weekend....

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The MX was also about the same price; apparently its slightly better...?
A very slight difference in speed with the MX series leading by a small margin. For use as a music server it wouldn't make a dang bit of difference.
But there is a 5 year warranty on the MX series and only 3 year for the BX. So for the extra $8 I figured what the hell..
Did do some homework on the current SSDs, and looked like the Crucial drives offer great bang for the buck. Just so long as it lasts I'll be happy.
My original OCZ is on 11 years now and still running fine. GSmart still reporting 75% life remaining, if that means anything. Only issue is I have to run TRIM manually from the command line, this was one of the very first drives to support TRIM but doesn't report itself in a way that the kernel tools recognize it. No big deal for a once a month chore LOL
Been a long time since I did any real computer hardware homework, I used to enjoy building boxes but now it's just a PITA ;)

GSmart.png

Last edited:

nm4711

Yeah,

SSDs are really cheap now.
I bought my first OCZ 60 gb for 120 Euros.
And a 500 gb Crucial MX100 five years ago for 160 €. Even this was pretty cheap back than.
Both are working fine.

What I find even more exiting than MX500 prices is, that cheap NVMe SSDs, like the Crucial P1, cost the same as a MX500.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I would like to see the prices come down for external SSDs.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I remember my first SSD Kingston 128 gb, approx 300 €.
Recently replaced it with a Samsung EVO 860 1terra, 141 € :)

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I have a pair of 4TB drives mirrored for my music files, and it's got 500 GB free, I have a lot of music, lol.
All CD quality FLAC or better, no lossy stuff.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bought my first OCZ 60 gb for 120 Euros.
OCZ was a bit of a leader in SSD development in those days, Fun times then 2008 and on, OCZ had forums where a few of us got involved in a bunch of the testing for TRIM and later the "garbage collection" routines. Installing different beta firmware to see how well it function, etc. Also in Linux there was a gentleman "Mark Something" doing TRIM kernel work and writing cron job routines to run TRIM commands.
It's all sorted out today. :)

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 42TB double-parity ZFS NAS for storing my media. It's in a 36-bay server. In my laptop, I have a 2TB NVME and a 2TB M.2 drive. I'm always running out of storage on the lappy, but the server is only half full. In a couple years, I'll probably buy 18 more drives of 8 or 12 TB and really go big for 4k video storage. I dunno how many digitized CDs I've got. Well over a hundred.

nm4711

OCZ was a bit of a leader in SSD development in those days, Fun times then 2008 and on, OCZ had forums where a few of us got involved in a bunch of the testing for TRIM and later the "garbage collection" routines. Installing different beta firmware to see how well it function, etc. Also in Linux there was a gentleman "Mark Something" doing TRIM kernel work and writing cron job routines to run TRIM commands.
It's all sorted out today. :)

Well, I bought mine in 2012, so a bit later. But I remember Magazines recommended to do some extra configurations on Win 7, check if TRIM was enabled and stuff like this. With Win 10 you just use the SSD.
And with those 60 gb SSDs you always had to look, what you install on the SSD and what you don't. Thankfully big SSDs are cheap these days.

Well, you seem to be a pioneer than. ;) Back in 2008 I wasn't interested in computer stuff, other than do a bit of gaming, since I was too young.

FooYatChong

The new drives with four bit per cell (QLC) NAND flash architecture are really bringing prices for high capacity SSD's down.
The two main shortcomings of QLC NAND are in write performance and write endurance, but those don't matter much for storage drives.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Seriously, though, my original music server was in 1999, when I ripped nearly 1000 CD’s to mechanical hard drives. I have preserved all that data for 20 yeas via backup drives. With platter drives so cheap for the past 10 years, I replace them on schedules. That said, I hardly run the server drives now because of Tidal’s selection, so they get minimal run time. I have two older drives that I keep stored - query, does the data degrade from just sitting there?

Top Bottom