• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB Converter

Victoria

Hi everyone! I'm currently in need for a USB to Optical SPDIF converter and I've just stumbled upon this product and review.

Two questions though:

1. Does anyone know whether or not this device supports native USB Class 1 (i.e. without drivers)? I don't inherently have a problem with USB Class 2 drivers but I do always like to have USB Class 1 available as a fallback just in case driver support vanishes in the future.

2. Is there any other USB to Optical SPDIF converter that I should be looking at instead (at either an equivalent or lower price)? My only other requirements (in addition to the point above) are that it absolutely must be USB-powered (as I really want to keep cables to a minimum) and TOSLINK is also a must because I might be purchasing a DAC soon that only has TOSLINK SPDIF available as a digital input.

Thank you!

gvl

Major Contributor
Is UAC2 support still an issue in 2019? W7 end of life is looming. All other modern OSs support UAC2 natively.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the Matrix and it’s doing it’s job very well. I do have their drivers installed, though I have the previous version without the i2s. You might want to check out Topping D10 and Singxer USB interfaces.

Victoria

Is UAC2 support still an issue in 2019? W7 end of life is looming. All other modern OSs support UAC2 natively.

I guess. The last time I owned a DAC which only supported UAC2 I ended up returning the DAC as I was experiencing some really bizarre behavior with the third party driver and sample rates (admittedly this was on Windows 7 where a native driver doesn't exist), so I guess there's still some residual paranoia in me from that less-than-optimal experience.

The Topping D10 looks cute, didn't realise that it had a TOSLINK out! Always thought it was just a really small dedicated DAC haha.

Nango

Major Contributor
Hi everyone! I'm currently in need for a USB to Optical SPDIF converter and I've just stumbled upon this product and review.

Two questions though:

2. Is there any other USB to Optical SPDIF converter that I should be looking at instead (at either an equivalent or lower price)? My only other requirements (in addition to the point above) are that it absolutely must be USB-powered (as I really want to keep cables to a minimum) and TOSLINK is also a must because I might be purchasing a DAC soon that only has TOSLINK SPDIF available as a digital input.

Thank you!

Many many DAP with such an optical output do this job although it is not their intended main purpose. They receive via USB the audio signal and output via toslink. Fiio X3 2nd as an example.

bequietjk

I can vouch for the Topping D10. It was an excellent spdif converter and when paired with the Geshelli Labs Enog 2 connected via coax digital it was a wonderful listening experience!

Yviena

Does anyone know if i for example where to use a dual powersupply to power both the xspdif2, and the source/laptop, etc will that prevent the worse measurements that where found in this review when externally powering the unit, or was the laptop amirm used on battery power?

Veri

Master Contributor
Does anyone know if i for example where to use a dual powersupply to power both the xspdif2, and the source/laptop, etc will that prevent the worse measurements that where found in this review when externally powering the unit, or was the laptop amirm used on battery power?
These measurements are done on battery power over USB, I recommend using the same. Really no point plugging in external, noiser power.

Yviena

These measurements are done on battery power over USB, I recommend using the same. Really no point plugging in external, noiser power.
Hmm i see. i wouldn't really call the power noisier though, the lps used measures 150nV 0-20Khz, i don't really notice a audible difference powering it this way, or direct but may as well just connect it directly for peace of mind then.

Last edited:

bequietjk

In the Matrix control panel, for Output Volume, I noticed there is a dial for 'Master' and 'Analogue 1/SPDIF 1'. In reducing the volume and just using either in general, what effect do they have that the other does not?

Andrew, THX AAA 789 creator mentioned that to get the most voltage swing possible from the 789 you would want to have the 789 at high gain and dial down the DAC signal down in db. Not only does my Matrix XSPDIF2 have the Master and Analogue volume dials, but my Geshelli ENOG2 Pro (being fed by the Matrix) has it's 3 level output options as well... I'm not quite sure in understanding what to adjust for best signal-noise ratio.

Help!

hollis

From @Veri 's suggestion I picked up this xspdif2 and replaced my Gustard U16. In my poor, sighted, 2 second changeover, A/B tests the two sounded very similar.

Veri

Master Contributor
From @Veri 's suggestion I picked up this xspdif2 and replaced my Gustard U16. In my poor, sighted, 2 second changeover, A/B tests the two sounded very similar.
Well it is digital domain after all. Any DAC worth it money should be able to receive even a dirty digital channel and still have a clean analogue output. On paper the matrix x-spdif2 has better internals than the Gustard though.

BAMCIS

Would love to see a review of the Wyred4sound DAC 2 to see how they measure against SMSL, Topping and others.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking forward to the Matrix Element H review!
I have both the H and the X. They have similar effects in the sound. There’s a greater sense of clarity and transparency. Easier on the ears somehow. Not night and day, but easy to perceive if you know your system well. I can’t go back not using it now. I power the X-SPDIF with USB the way Amir recommends.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought one of these little converters since I needed AES3 out to my Dutch and Dutch 8c. I tried a couple of $2000 streamers and they didn't sound any better to me than using this connected by USB to my raspberry pi4 as a roon bridge. Nifty device and saved me some $$$.

AudioExplorer

To echo what EchoChamber said, I have also found that the X-SPDIF 2 is excellent. In my system, I compared going directly from my laptop to a Schiit modius via USB to going from the laptop via USB to the X-SPDIF 2 and then to the Modius via Toslink, SPDIF or AES/EBU. Overall, the AES/EBU input is the one I like the best. AES/EBU compared to USB seems clearer and less bright with the timbre of all instruments sounding more natural. I am also using the X-SPDIF with power from the USB as Amir recommends. I bought both the Modius and the X-SPDIF after inspecting Amir's measurements of the devices and so am thankful for all the information on this site.

Veri

Master Contributor
To echo what EchoChamber said, I have also found that the X-SPDIF 2 is excellent. In my system, I compared going directly from my laptop to a Schiit modius via USB to going from the laptop via USB to the X-SPDIF 2 and then to the Modius via Toslink, SPDIF or AES/EBU. Overall, the AES/EBU input is the one I like the best. AES/EBU compared to USB seems clearer and less bright with the timbre of all instruments sounding more natural. I am also using the X-SPDIF with power from the USB as Amir recommends. I bought both the Modius and the X-SPDIF after inspecting Amir's measurements of the devices and so am thankful for all the information on this site.
If you inspected both measurements, what ever was wrong with Modius' jitter measurement? I feel like you spend totally unnecessary money but hey knock yourself out.

index.php

AudioExplorer

If you inspected both measurements, what ever was wrong with Modius' jitter measurement? I feel like you spend totally unnecessary money but hey knock yourself out.

Actually I bought the X-SPDIF 2 for something else much before I bought the Modius. As you said, looking at the measurements, I wouldn’t have bought the X-SPDIF 2 just for the Modius.

misog

hi guys,

Any ideas for best cheapest USB Audio Digital interface Converter? Which does the job well?

just like a SMSL X-USB?

Thank you

Top Bottom