• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Golden Age of Japanese Audio

Eirikur

Do you have legs? o_O
No mother, legs don't enter into it - lazily enjoying music requires instant volume access!

Edit: just listening to Somali Yacht Club / The Sun (thanks @digicidal) - flippin' 'ek does that need attenuation!

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The new Technics range is slightly odd, high end audio components co-existing alongside wireless speakers with not much in between. Their wireless speakers seem to be very nicely made and sit at the top end of that segment but I have never heard one.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The new Technics range is slightly odd, high end audio components co-existing alongside wireless speakers with not much in between. Their wireless speakers seem to be very nicely made and sit at the top end of that segment but I have never heard one.

They never had a chance to gain traction after WhatHiFi gave a trash 2-star review of their new coaxs. Even Stereophile making the SB-C700 the second-cheapest Class A speaker currently on the list (after the LS50) didn't seem to help salvage the wrecked reputation.

Wombat

Master Contributor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They never had a chance to gain traction after WhatHiFi gave a trash 2-star review of their new coaxs. Even Stereophile making the SB-C700 the second-cheapest Class A speaker currently on the list (after the LS50) didn't seem to help salvage the wrecked reputation.

Why do some people take What Hifi seriously? I find that magazine to be a total joke with blatant bias and full of the usual subjectivism nonsense with nothing to back it up.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Why do some people take What Hifi seriously? I find that magazine to be a total joke with blatant bias and full of the usual subjectivism nonsense with nothing to back it up.

With the departure of Audio Critic, I don't know if there's anyone left who does serious audio reviewing (my employer excepted, but AX has a much wider scope).

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
With the departure of Audio Critic, I don't know if there's anyone left who does serious audio reviewing (my employer excepted, but AX has a much wider scope).

Sometimes the measurements are revealing, I've seen Atkinson show stuff that's truly scary.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sometimes the measurements are revealing, I've seen Atkinson show stuff that's truly scary.
Yea but if the subjective reviewer loved the sound, he always finds an excuse for the data.

syn08

Yea but if the subjective reviewer loved the sound, he always finds an excuse for the data.

Not an Atkinson fan myself but, when measurements are crap, all I've seen from him while commenting Fremer style hot listening report was "I don't understand...". What would you expect from him, to tell to the Fremers of the world what to hear?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not an Atkinson fan myself but, when measurements are crap, all I've seen from him while commenting Fremer style hot listening report was "I don't understand...". What would you expect from him, to tell to the Fremers of the world what to hear?

Or maybe start considering getting more reliable reviewers. But of course, that would be integrity over commerce, and there's a reason that publications with integrity have disappeared.

syn08

Or maybe start considering getting more reliable reviewers. But of course, that would be integrity over commerce, and there's a reason that publications with integrity have disappeared.

Yeah, right, and the business model would be...? :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My father ad a lovely Kenwood set up when I was growing up, at the time it was unusual in the UK as Kenwood was branded as Trio here. He bought it in the Middle East when he was working for Saudia airlines. I remember the feeling of quality, the nicely weighted controls, impeccable fit and finish and the sound quality was great. In some ways he was quite a sensible chap in buying once but buying right and getting something he was happy with for many years.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
My dad's got some vintage Japanese hifi, I also remember the quality feel of the volume control and tone levers..

Can't remember what it was but next time I'm there I will take some pictures, unfortunately some little bastard poked his speakers with knitting needles but they still work kinda.

BigVU's

Forum Donor
I've been thinking about an oldie like the Onkyo M5590 + pre-amp
s-l1600-2-4-1024x768.jpg

however... this could be lurking inside
onkyo-m5590-6-13591bergsyr.jpg

which in turn leads to some restoration
onkyo-m5590-4-13591be28s05.jpg

Another consideration is the pre-amp: most don't come with a remote control option!

Yikes!!! At least the Hitachi seller posted photos of the inside with the listing... I am not sure I would be stable if I bought sight unseen to find this inside! Wow!

Top Bottom