• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I recommend to use this as a dac. You can use something like opa1622 evaluation board to pair with it. Just needed external power supply, battery works as well.

Veri

Master Contributor
I recommend to use this as a dac. You can use something like opa1622 evaluation board to pair with it. Just needed external power supply, battery works as well.
You tried it already? :)

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Let me get this right :
Connecting an un-balanced wired headphone with and above mentioned adapter from amp to headphone to have some more power routed to the headphones is harmful?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Let me get this right :
Connecting an un-balanced wired headphone with and above mentioned adapter from amp to headphone to have some more power routed to the headphones is harmful?
Potentially harmful to the output device. And should have serious sound quality degradation.

Veri

Master Contributor
Makes you wonder why these adapters are on the market. Thanks.
There is a small amount of devices that will work with this adapter (transformer coupled ones if I'm not wrong?).
But yes for the vast majority there is a big chance you will break things! should come with a warning label :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Nice.

Did Ghent get back to you?
So far, no. I think it's a busy time of the year though.

Would be cool if they add some 2.5mm cables to their inventory. Feel free to shoot them an e-mail too, to show them some interest :D

dropbear

@Veri @solderdude Thank you, both, I actually wasn't aware of this to apply for headphones as well, I didn't know how it behaves when connected to a passive component such as headphones. Noted. I can add it to the list of cables I refuse to make (I had couple of guys actually asking for XLR>RCA interconnect cables and I have always turned them down immediately as that is the very most simple way to fry that SE-inputting device).

By the way, above, guys, you mention 2,5M > 4FXLR adapter - do you find there is a lack of such adapters?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Today I sent #9038Dv0 gerbers pack to make PCB samples. Next few days will try it. I have added:

1) softstart to limit inrush current and let work with mobiles without Y-splitter. Actually, a big output power peaks anyway will off USB OTG power rail ))

2) Seems max power at 16ohm will be limited anyway. 32ohm I hope will produce similar 340mW but @16ohm maybe just 400mW or so
3) Optimized I/V stage for minimal noise, simulations show up to 125dbA, let's see
4) A lot more part on both sides. Becomes expensive.
5) Regarding THD #9038S seems to stay unbeatable. And cost-effective as well. Actually, can't realize why so many people want unbalanced 3.5mm if most of decent HP for sure balanced?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
(I had couple of guys actually asking for XLR>RCA interconnect cables and I have always turned them down immediately as that is the very most simple way to fry that SE-inputting device).

3pin-XLR to RCA is easy to make and works great as well.
The other way around is also quite possible.
The reason is that there is a ground available in this case.

Some folks might be interested in 2.5mm TRRS -> 4-pin XLR and maybe 2.5mm TRRS -> 2x 3-pin XLR

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Actually, can't realize why so many people want unbalanced 3.5mm if most of decent HP for sure balanced?

That may be because the vast majority of headphones has 3.5mm TRS and/or 6.3mm TRS.
2.5mm TRRS is very rare, about as rare as Pentaconn 5-pin and very few with 4 pin XLR.
These usually are aftermarket cables.

Veri

Master Contributor
3.5mm is most common probably, and easy to use with screw-on 6.3mm adapter
2.5mm is pretty rare for balanced (except w/ iems and daps) since 4-pin xlr seems to be the standard,
4.4mm is even more rare, wish this would get more common...

Some folks might be interested in 2.5mm TRRS -> 4-pin XLR and maybe 2.5mm TRRS -> 2x 3-pin XLR
2.5mm to 2x XLR seems especially niche, only found on some aliexpress stores(?)

dropbear

3pin-XLR to RCA is easy to make and works great as well.
The other way around is also quite possible.
The reason is that there is a ground available in this case.

Oh, do you mean it by leaving pin 3 NC and to connect pin 2 to tip and pin 1 to the sleeve?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
fo
Oh, do you mean it by leaving pin 3 NC and to connect pin 2 to tip and pin 1 to the sleeve?

For XLR to RCA = 2-XLR to center pin RCA, 1-XLR to sleeve RCA
For RCA to XLR = centerpin RCA to 2-XLR and sleeve to 1+3 XLR.

These adapters do not work the other way around.

Nathan Raymond

3.5mm is most common probably, and easy to use with screw-on 6.3mm adapter
2.5mm is pretty rare for balanced (except w/ iems and daps) since 4-pin xlr seems to be the standard,
4.4mm is even more rare, wish this would get more common...

2.5mm to 2x XLR seems especially niche, only found on some aliexpress stores(?)

2.5mm is the most common on DAPs I think, with even some Japanese brands (other than Sony, who only do 4.4mm for balanced) like Onkyo and Pioneer including 2.5mm balanced. Some earphone makers include 2.5mm balanced cables in the box, like Fiio, who even include the second cable in some of their more entry-level earphones. For others, they reserve the inclusion of the 2.5mm cable for their higher-end products. 2.5mm balanced cables are available terminated in MMCX and the 2-pin variants starting for as little as $7. Starting a few years ago when I bought an Onkyo DAP, I started standardizing on 2.5mm balanced for all my headphones including overears (Sennheiser, Onkyo, HiFiMan, and Audio-Technica). My Pioneer on-ear headphones came with a second 2.5mm balanced cable. I carry a FiiO L26 adapter with me so I can plug any balanced headphone into a 3.5mm source:

https://penonaudio.com/fiio-l26.html

And I have a DUNU DC-11 plugged into one of my desktop headphone amp's outputs to let me plug in easily at home without switching cables:

https://penonaudio.com/dunu-dc-12dc-11.html

And I bought a Massdrop 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRS adapter when/if I get a desktop headphone amp with an XLR output:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-4-pin-xlr-to-2-5mm-trrs-adapter

At this point almost all my headphones are 2.5mm balanced, which wasn't that difficult or expensive to do, the aftermarket cables I got were an ergonomic improvement in most every case, and the adapters I use don't add too much inconvenience. I don't get to use any inline mics or volume controls, but I was never a fan of those anyway.

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom