• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
I had an intriguing idea to implement on the DAC board APx55_like(Actually, Amir gave me some block-diagram about how Apx555 works) THD analyzer to let users calibrate their DAC any time they wish. Furthermore, if a user will stream to the DAC as a reference signal, not clear sine but the mix of sines, for example, recorded tube preamp distorted sine, then THD analyzer will adjust ES9038 THD to minimize the difference vs such reference signal. Practically, it will look like that: you supply clear sine to the DAC and in the iOS/Android App turn On the calibration process. After a minute the App shows you THD+N result, calibration is finished. If you'll supply distorted sine as a reference, after such calibration you'll get similar THD distribution as had the reference you used(for example some sweet tube amp).
However, that idea induced near to the zero interest in diyaudio.com, as I remember.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Great page!

Can you recommend an adapter that will allow this DAC to be hooked to headphone amp balanced XLR inputs? Adapter to basically use normal XLR cables.

So only using your DAC as DAC only

TRRS -> 2x XLR 3-pin

Tip -> pin-3 Right channel (R- signal)
Ring (next to tip) -> pin-2 Right channel (R+ signal)
Ring (next to sleeve) -> pin-2 RLeft channel (L+ signal)
Sleeve -> pin-3 Right channel (L- signal)

Leave pin 1 and screen open on both XLR connectors

The inputs MUST be balanced, The only way to connect this device to single ended (RCA) is by using an inline transformer to go from balanced to single ended.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Where did you get the info that the RCA shields are not connected to anything or which trick is used in these cables ?

This can work with starquad RCA cables yes? Then the shield (if the starquad comes with a shield) can be left un-connected (if someone wants, for whatever reason).

Veri

Master Contributor
This device has Astel&Kern/FiiO pinning which differs from Hifiman, Sony, Geekwave and Oppo pinning so certain headphones won't work properly without an adapter that rewires pinning... That's the penalty of having no standard for this type of connectors.

Woops. Just forwarded it to ghent audio to ask if they can make it so lol.
Thanks for looking into it in the first place solderdude. You rock.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This can work with starquad RCA cables yes? Then the shield (if the starquad comes with a shield) can be left un-connected (if someone wants, for whatever reason).

No alas, it cannot be connected to an RCA input without using a line transformer.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Woops. Just forwarded it to ghent audio to ask if they can make it so lol.
Thanks for looking into it in the first place solderdude. You rock.

never mind... the pinning I mentioned was correct afterall as the device uses the AK pinning ;)

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is just awesome, Amir!

This is my favorite part about ASR - learning about fantastic values in terms of price, performance, and engineering.

This is the kind of information (and product) that will help get new folks into the hobby. And that is so crucial to the future of the hobby.

Kudos to you, @IVX !

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
hope you review the powerdac v2 too.
You know, I just afraid if PowerDAC will be placed to the bottom of the rating chart. Actually, it is not DAC+HPA, right? No feedback, right? Do you know that PDv2 has 5000uF ESR = 1mOhm onboard to get -109dbA S/N? Just because of no feedback. I can add simple 2nd order noise shaper to reduce noise for 10-15dbA, and THD as well but what about the idea? The idea is True Digital PowerDAC with no linear amplification and no feedback at all. And put it to the bottom of the chart? No, PDv2 is too special to be measured/evaluate the standard way. Actually, I've posted all AP2702 plots regarding PDv2, just take a look.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I think the guys at Ghent would definitely be willing to create a 2.5mm to XLR cable if possible/plausible/good enough option without obvious drawbacks or concerns.

Such a cable exists. Quite easily found on Aliexpress and Taobao.

I have one in fact for my HPA-3B amplifier.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What's the reason why shield can't connect to Pin 1 on each XLR connector?

Is it because there would be nothing to connect to on the TRRS plug?

Ah, I get what you mean... you could use starquad or any other microphone wire (with 2 conductors + shield) and connect the screen on the shield of the XLR. I would use the screen of the XLR and not pin-3. This basically 'elongates' the screening of the amplifier. Just makes sure it can't short with the sleeve of the TRSS connector.

You mentioned, however, can it be used with starquad and RCA and for RCA the answer is no, for XLR... yes.

AndrewDavis

Don't have time... right now given my workload.

This sounds like every other "early retirement" that I've observed in my life. Some people can't help be productive, which is usually how they managed early retirement in the first place!!

Hemi-Demon

How do you purchase one of these? The website says use the contact me form, but I can't seem to locate the email information.

Top Bottom