• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I plan to use the Atom as a "power amp", with the volume being driven by an upstream source, how high should I turn the volume on the Atom?

To the max?
The knob only controls the headphones output AFAIK.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If I plan to use the Atom as a "power amp", with the volume being driven by an upstream source, how high should I turn the volume on the Atom?

To the max?

to 'power' what exactly ?
small 4 or 8 Ohm speakers ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Headphones

Then I would suggest to set the volume of the Atom so that at max volume on the upstream side it the Atom plays as loud as you want the headphones to go. That could be max. volume or lower. That way you get optimal volume control range with the Atom.

ripvw

Forum Donor
Then I would suggest to set the volume of the Atom so that at max volume on the upstream side it the Atom plays as loud as you want the headphones to go. That could be max. volume or lower. That way you get optimal volume control range with the Atom.

This is exactly what I am doing with my D50S and Atom. The Atom volume pot is not as accurate at lower volume settings and the feel of the pot is less than wonderful - but given the price acceptable. I leave the volume pot on the Atom at 1 o'clock and change the volume from the D50S up and down from -35db to 0db. This gives me sufficient range to accommodate all my sources and allows for precise remote volume setting with mute function. This capability along with the removal of the ESS IMD hump (likely inaudible to me) is the reason I replaced my Khadas Tone Board with the D50S.

if only the pair had balanced XLR connections...

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
if only the pair had balanced XLR connections...
The newly reviewed E1DA 9038S has no IMD hump and with the right cable could supply balanced line out at much lower price than D50s, too!
Crazy competitive at the current slated price. No screen, chassis or filtering options etc though. But great value!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I leave the volume pot on the Atom at 1 o'clock and change the volume from the D50S up and down from -35db to 0db.

Seems like a very popular combination.

Are you at 1 o'clock in low gain?

And with what headphones? Do you know their sensitivity (dB per mV)?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's a good idea BUT on the Atom, the volume knob is also the power on knob. Meaning that at 0 (7 o'clock) the unit is off.
So unless someone wants to adjust the volume knob to a definite position any time (1 o'clock for instance), another idea would be to have it at 1 o'clock (so always on) on a power bar with an on/off switch which would power the whole system.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

iazriel

Just got my Topping D30 and use it along with my Atom. Perfectly happy so far. Quick question though. Shall I use gain or not? With gain, it is already loud at 11 o'clock whereas without gain I can crank it up to 2 o'clock before it becomes uncomfortable. Headphones are DT 770 pro 250 Ohm.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just got my Topping D30 and use it along with my Atom. Perfectly happy so far. Quick question though. Shall I use gain or not? With gain, it is already loud at 11 o'clock whereas without gain I can crank it up to 2 o'clock before it becomes uncomfortable. Headphones are DT 770 pro 250 Ohm.
Unless you are not getting enough loudness with low gain volume max, you use low gain.

escalibur

Wondering if these knobs would fit on Atom :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-Alumi...-solid-volume-potentiometer-knob/263889501713

1566223312679.png

1566223334968.png

mewzik

I have an Atom, used in one of my 2 desk setups. 2 questions:

1) For my 2nd desktop setup, for the sake of not having 2x the same thing, what is a good alternative? I am not particularly cost sensitive, but I won't buy something in the several k range. (the Drop THX AAA 789 is not really available in the UK).
2) What is 'in between' the JDS Atom/ 789 (which seem very similar) and say the Benchmark HPA4 ? It is not clear what 'up' from the Atom would even be to go beyond. For 100 GBP it is awesome. It seems - for any price - pretty great. For say 500 GBP is there anything measurably 'better'?

Tx

Veri

Master Contributor
For my 2nd desktop setup, for the sake of not having 2x the same thing, what is a good alternative? I am not particularly cost sensitive, but I won't buy something in the several k range. (the Drop THX AAA 789 is not really available in the UK).
It's not really available in the US either ;) lol. It still is the best "bigger" Atom right now though, best you can do is hit up the next pre-order window. Plenty of us ordered one to the EU.

Top Bottom