• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum , racist and vile please don't give him business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It's the case for all planars, not just "most" of them.
Not all planars have a completely flat impedance/frequency curve response though, so what suggests that all of them are not affected by output impedance from the amps ??

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Even with a 120 Ohm series resistor at 400Hz there will be a 0.6dB increase. Given that due to a resonance the FR dips 4 dB at that exact spot (hence the small impedance bup) this would mean the dip would be 3.4dB at 400Hz so it could even be an improvement driving those from a high impedance amplifier. ;)

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I write as a reluctant headphone user, but I can't help wondering if frequency response matters much with headphones.
Considering how far from flat any headphone is, isn't it then the case that all headphones are a matter of taste?

Take any headphone, run it from 0 ohms output impedance, run it from X ohms output impedance. Neither is right, as in flat, so which one do YOU prefer?

S.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have listened to these headphones a lot today.
They are very comfortable to wear. The cable arrangement is brilliant.
The sound is probably the best I have heard from headphones in terms of instrumental timbre.
They have deep bass and a clear treble.
I could not be more delighted.
Worth the wait!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not for the Verum 1, you can connect it to 10 Ohm output R amplifiers without any problems.

It looks like the Sabaj 5 has plenty of power in 32 Ohm so obviously can supply enough current for 8 Ohm (it actually is between 6 and 7 Ohm)
I agree that this is very low for an over ear headphone.
The AEON headphones are 12 Ohm so its not that the Verum 1 is the only one with an unusual low impedance.
Some IEM's also are in that territory.
It does not need a high voltage so currents also won't be terribly high.

Some amplifiers or other music sources may show higher than specified distortion levels though.

Pierre Nortje

Hey guys, does anyone have any info on why Garuspik doesn't issue tracking numbers? I live in South Africa, and the postal service here is quite unreliable, and its almost always required to have a tracking number when dealing with international parcels. I've asked Garuspik before but haven't received a response.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I was given a Ukrainian postal tracking number as part of the Kickstarter campaign shipment. So not sure...

abm0

Forum Donor
Hey guys, does anyone have any info on why Garuspik doesn't issue tracking numbers?
I think this is just to speed things up on his end during this catch-up with all the delayed orders. I'd expect that once he's up to date and delivering from stock it shouldn't be an issue to send tracking numbers as well.

LE:
Oh, he's already got some things in stock according to the website. Maybe ask him again if it's been a while since the last time you asked.

Pierre Nortje

Here are my brief impressions of the Verum One's after listening to them over a few days.

At first, they sounded quite underwhelming and thin. Powering them off of my phone and my PC motherboard resulted in a quiet, rather disappointing sound. But I burned them in over a few days and found a much better power source and these things came to life. After testing them on various high-end amps that I could find, I found that they scale very well!

The sound signature can be best described as dark, natural and dynamic. Bass is very flat and somewhat neutral, doesn't bleed at all through the midrange. Although it doesn't have the heavy slam and rumble some people have mentioned, the bass has some impact and is very well executed! Both upper-midrange and treble are recessed, but nicely detailed and the separation of instruments comes across very well. Soundstage is narrower than I expected, my Grado SR80e's come across wider, but the Verum's large drivers definitely create a "bigger" all-encompassing sound. I would still consider the soundstage relatively wide.

The build is incredible for a DIY headphone, it feels solidly built although a little cumbersome to handle, very comfortable to wear for long periods.

20190918_171650.jpg

Overall I'm very impressed by what Garuspik was able to create, its such as pleasure to listen to these!

Note:
I have experienced a crinkling sound in the right earcup if I remove the headphone from my head (no effect on sound, so far).

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I gave a listen to pair at a friend's house. They sound nice, but the build needs to be improved and that cumbersome headband needs to get more compact.

The main issue is the 8 ohm impedance, which means driving it with a high output impedance amp will give you a very bad damping factor. The amp he had there (SONY TA-ZH1ES) could barely handle them, and I needed to crank up the volume to get it to a listenable level. And it also sounded kind of muddy with that amp. Once I switched to my portable Fiio X3 v2 (output impedance lower than 0.1) they sounded much better.

Saying that low impedance headphones is easy to drive is a misleading generalization. 8 ohms means the amplifier has to output ridiculous amounts of wattage, and if the output impedance is high it means it actually resists outputting that power. This basically approaches speaker's territory, and according to common speaker wisdom, lower impedance actually means harder to drive.

I think a better design choice would be to go for a more manageable 16 ohm, if possible. Oh, and the front facing cable connectors looks like they might break with the gentlest hit.

thms

I'm more and more thinking about getting one, as "upgrade" of HD650.
Also looking at used LCD-2.

Which one of the two would have the nicest bass ? It's something I think the HD650 misses a bit, so I don't really want to miss out on bass on my next headphones.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Note:
I have experienced a crinkling sound in the right earcup if I remove the headphone from my head (no effect on sound, so far).
I have the same problem on my unit. right earcup cuts in an out if it moved suddenly or snapped on to my head quickly. Sometimes this leads to some channel imbalance with left or right side being more dominant. I used to have heavy right side dominance until recently (smacked the cups around a few times on my head). If the imbalance remains I might send the unit in for repair but tough pill to swallow shipping from US to Ukraine. Don't even care about the money but the time spent without headphones would be a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom