• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 VS D50S! Looking to upgrade to new speakers in the future, most probably something like 400W speakers with amp. In that case, D10 or D50?

D50S VS D10

• D50S

• D10

Results are only viewable after voting.

La!$

My specs:
Speakers- AudioEngine A5+
Sources- Windows PC and iPhone Max

Audio Files- 24/196, 24/192 and some DSD files!

Topping D10 VS D50S

Please cast your votes! ☺️

OP
L

La!$

Wow, how many threads and polls?
Aha! Sorry sir! I am very new to this and want to make the best decision I can. Could you please tell me how I can delete my previous threads?

Thanks!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please cast your votes! ☺️
Instead of making a mountain of treads and votes, try to read all about the D10 and the D50S.
Then ask specific questions not answered in those treads.
If I can I'm happy to help out, but please do some work yourself. In the end, it's you decision. You have tonnes of answers already.

OP
L

La!$

Instead of making a mountain of treads and votes, try to read all about the D10 and the D50S.
Then ask specific questions not answered in those treads.
If I can I'm happy to help out, but please do some work yourself. In the end, it's you decision. You have tonnes of answers already.
Sir, I would love if you would help me out with this! ☺️

Nemo

Forum Donor
They are both well engineered and will sound the same in your system, but they offer different features at different price points.

D10 is cheaper, offer digital outputs, and does not require an external power supply
D50s is more expensive, comes with a remote, offer digital inputs, and needs to be powered

My vote went for the D50s as I believe having a remote will be very useful for your intended use, and can be used as a preamplifier in an all digital system in the future, but the choice is yours

OP
L

La!$

They are both well engineered and will sound the same in your system, but they offer different features at different price points.

D10 is cheaper, offer digital outputs, and does not require an external power supply
D50s is more expensive, comes with a remote, offer digital inputs, and needs to be powered

My vote went for the D50s as I believe having a remote will be very useful for your intended use, and can be used as a preamplifier in an all digital system in the future, but the choice is yours
I'm looking to upgrade to bigger speakers, most probably something like Klipsch 400W with an amplifier. So the D50S is the perfect choice in that case or I should go for the D10?

Nemo

Forum Donor
I think the capability of being used as a preamplifier and the included remote makes the D50s a better choice for you, yes

geek101

Forum Donor
For $130 more you are getting remote and potential for providing cleaner power source, spec gives you 10dB to 15dB bump compared to D10 which is quite larger difference this what you pay for (better engineering and materials) and bluetooth(which I do not use). I would bet I won't hear a difference if did get the D10.

Last edited:
OP
L

La!$

For $130 more you are getting remote and potential for providing cleaner power source, spec gives you 10dB to 15dB bump compared to D10 which is quite larger difference this what you pay for (better engineering and materials) and bluetooth(which I do not use). I would bet I won't hear a difference if did get the D10.
The BT can stream CD quality from an android phone right? Also, if I'm buying 400w speakers without built in amp in the future, the D50S is the best choice isn't it?

geek101

Forum Donor
The BT can stream CD quality from an android phone right? Also, if I'm buying 400w speakers without built in amp in the future, the D50S is the best choice isn't it?
http://www.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=41.html says it implements LDAC. Googling for LDAC gets you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAC_(codec) which says "LDAC is an audio coding technology developed by Sony, which allows streaming audio over Bluetooth connections up to 990 kbit/s at 24 bit/96 kHz (also called high-resolution audio)"

Without built in amp for Speakers has nothing to do with a DAC?.

OP
L

La!$

http://www.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=41.html says it implements LDAC. Googling for LDAC gets you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAC_(codec) which says "LDAC is an audio coding technology developed by Sony, which allows streaming audio over Bluetooth connections up to 990 kbit/s at 24 bit/96 kHz (also called high-resolution audio)"

Without built in amp for Speakers has nothing to do with a DAC?.
I don't understand what you mean sir. Also, right now I have audioengine A5+ speakers with built in amp.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't understand what you mean sir. Also, right now I have audioengine A5+ speakers with built in amp.

I think it would be incredibly helpful to you to spend some time doing a bit more independent research. You've asked the same questions in several places after they have been answered. These things can be explained to you, but they can't be understood for you.

You seem to want to be sure you get the exact right thing...and I applaud that! I just think you are asking questions that reflect some really missing fundamental concepts...like digital vs analog.

Don't take this as a flame please. Clearly you are very interested in the subject, so take it as encouragement to dig more into some of the rich research easily found on this site, and look to make decisions yourself, not let a poll decide for you.

Cheers!

OP
L

La!$

I think it would be incredibly helpful to you to spend some time doing a bit more independent research. You've asked the same questions in several places after they have been answered. These things can be explained to you, but they can't be understood for you.

You seem to want to be sure you get the exact right thing...and I applaud that! I just think you are asking questions that reflect some really missing fundamental concepts...like digital vs analog.

Don't take this as a flame please. Clearly you are very interested in the subject, so take it as encouragement to dig more into some of the rich research easily found on this site, and look to make decisions yourself, not let a poll decide for you.

Cheers!

☺️☺️☺️

geek101

Forum Donor
Amplifier takes input from a DAC’s analog output and amplifies it so that the current / voltage can move the speakers woofer / tweeter etc.

So a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) takes the bits via USB / Optical Fiber / Coaxial / Bluetooth and converts it to analog output (the RCA output) back of the DAC.

So you need think about the signal chain :
Source -> DAC -> AMP -> Speakers / Headphones as far as playing audio is concerned.

Having inbuilt amp can be helpful. If you have inbuilt amp for your speakers your speakers are called active speakers.

So get a DAC and connect the RCA output of this DAC to the RCA input of your speakers (left and right). And your are done.

Remember Topping D50s needs a power source (they provide a usb cable to dc input cable, this is not the cable for the audio signal). They provide another USB cable to connect to the USB input of Topping.

I would recommnend D50s since it has a remote and you need that if you don’t always want to go to your speakers to adjust volume.

If you are always using this on a desktop go for D10 (if you do not want Bluetooth). If you want to stream music via bluetooh over phone when not at desk then you need D50s.

Hope this helps. Again try to read up on some fundementals I gave your signal chain start there , first understand what your sources are and what kind of speakers / headphones then rest of the things need to be brought to make it all good.

OP
L

La!$

Amplifier takes input from a DAC’s analog output and amplifies it so that the current / voltage can move the speakers woofer / tweeter etc.

So a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) takes the bits via USB / Optical Fiber / Coaxial / Bluetooth and converts it to analog output (the RCA output) back of the DAC.

So you need think about the signal chain :
Source -> DAC -> AMP -> Speakers / Headphones as far as playing audio is concerned.

Having inbuilt amp can be helpful. If you have inbuilt amp for your speakers your speakers are called active speakers.

So get a DAC and connect the RCA output of this DAC to the RCA input of your speakers (left and right). And your are done.

Remember Topping D50s needs a power source (they provide a usb cable to dc input cable, this is not the cable for the audio signal). They provide another USB cable to connect to the USB input of Topping.

I would recommnend D50s since it has a remote and you need that if you don’t always want to go to your speakers to adjust volume.

If you are always using this on a desktop go for D10 (if you do not want Bluetooth). If you want to stream music via bluetooh over phone when not at desk then you need D50s.

Hope this helps. Again try to read up on some fundementals I gave your signal chain start there , first understand what your sources are and what kind of speakers / headphones then rest of the things need to be brought to make it all good.
Can you link me to a good power supply? Or should I get the P50 power supply. Many have told me it's not necessary. Please link me to a power supply that is 5V1A adapter which according to Topping is what the D50s needs.

OP
L

La!$

Can you link me to a good power supply? Or should I get the P50 power supply. Many have told me it's not necessary. Please link me to a power supply that is 5V1A adapter which according to Topping is what the D50s needs.
Also, I just bought a QED Performance graphite RCA cable. Will do the job right?

Kempeu

Hi mates,
I also need some comments regarding D10 vs D50s vs DX7s. My situation a bit different, I got 2 systems :
1) Marantz Sa Ki Pearl lite(Sa8004) & Marantz PM15S2Se
2) Musical Fidelity MVX Preamp & P270

Initially, I plan to get D10 for both system :
1) make use of it’s optical output as a “USB>spdif convertor” for Marantz Sa Ki Pearl lite, because Marantz existing USB-B only support up to 24/96 whereas optical/coaxial possible up to 24/192. Would I get better sound by D10?
2) RCA line out from D10 to Musical fidelity MVX, direct streaming DSD/hires files from PC.

If I opt for D50s, drawback is..there is no spdif output for my system 1. But would I get much better sound for my system 2 because of superior es9038q2m chipsets?

If I opt for DX7s, there is a coaxial out link to my system 1. But again would i get much better sound for my system 2 because of superior es9038q2m chipsets? Reviews stated “DX7s use better DAC, better USB interface and better headphone amp.... etc etc”. Drawback is.. price is much more expensive than D10 and D50s and I don’t need those headphone amp..
Also, I do not think I will make use of preamp function of D50s & DX7s and probably I need to set it as “Fixed” at 0db rather than “variable” because I believe that MF MvX preamp is better. Moreover, with budget on DX7s, there are more other options..

So which is better option for me? It is like es9018k2m(D10) vs es9038q2m(D50s, DX7s)..

Thankssssssss

geek101

Forum Donor

P50 will be overkill. No need for a power supply any phone charger / usb power unit will work .

Btw those QED cables look good, but amazon basic RCA cables will perform the same for the distances you care.

OP
L

La!$

P50 will be overkill. No need for a power supply any phone charger / usb power unit will work .

Btw those QED cables look good, but amazon basic RCA cables will perform the same for the distances you care.
Can you send me a link to both please? (Ebay)

Top Bottom