• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good measuring floorstanding speakers with sensitivity above 95 dB

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

What are the better measuring floorstanding speakers out there, with sensitivity above 95 dB ?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all

What are the better measuring floorstanding speakers out there, with sensitivity above 95 dB ?
I am not sure there are any.
Most high sensitivity speakers fail at least one aspect of the measurement suite. I have horns that are 109dB efficient and they are fine on frequency response and they have controlled directivity at frequencies above 250Hz but the waterfall plot shows a slow "stop" presumably because of the horns.
A lot of the ones I have seen use very lightweight cones which are far from stiff or well damped so give a very uneven FR.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am not sure there are any.
Most high sensitivity speakers fail at least one aspect of the measurement suite. I have horns that are 109dB efficient and they are fine on frequency response and they have controlled directivity at frequencies above 250Hz but the waterfall plot shows a slow "stop" presumably because of the horns.
A lot of the ones I have seen use very lightweight cones which are far from stiff or well damped so give a very uneven FR.
Most speaker designs have a weakness somewhere.
Possibly addressable via DSP ? Atkinson said of the Forte III's

Multiway loudspeakers with horn-loaded upper-frequency drivers but a flat baffle can't be made time-coincident without the use of digital signal processing. Does this matter? Perhaps a more conventional speaker with time-aligned drive-units would give better-defined stereo imaging, but I keep coming back to the Forte III's astonishingly high sensitivity, one of the highest I have encountered. At typical listening levels, the drive-unit diaphragms will hardly be moving, which implies low distortion.—John Atkinson
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-forte-iii-loudspeaker-measurements#iUXgS2wEGilj93qf.99

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
If I may, why is high sensitivity an issue for you? Just curious... :cool:

Never said it's an issue.... I'm just curious :)

Curious "what are the better measuring floorstanding speakers out there, with sensitivity above 95 dB"

Just friendly discussion here. There's no crisis with < 95 dB sensitivity.

BillG

Major Contributor
Just friendly discussion here. There's no crisis with < 95 dB sensitivity.

It seems Klipsch might be it. From a brief look around I just did, everybody else seems to offering towers in the 86 - 88 dB range. As for how Klipsch's measure, I can't say really, as I've never looked into them beyond a cursory glance. Enough people seem to like them, though, while others complains that they're "bright" and "shouty". Go figure... :rolleyes:

Hrodulf

Usually woofers are what dictate the sensitivity of a speaker. If you want a 95dB/W and extension to mid/low thirties, you’re looking at a PA 15-18” in a ported 200-300l box. A Troels Gravessen The Loudspeaker is something that might fit your bill, but maybe not the living space..

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, you've got enough information now to research it for yourself. Off you go... :cool:

Thanks for contributing. I'm sure others who have experience and/or knowledge will drop by and share.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There are plenty, mostly horns like the world class JBL 4367
In conventional designs, some of Bill Dudleston's at Legacy Audio fit the bill.
I've heard the Focus SE and they sounded tremendous in the show setting I heard them.
Legacy_Focus_SE_Rosewood_web_182_295.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As someone said already, the JBL 4367 measures excellent and is 94db sensitive. It’s not terribly difficult to drive either, with it’s relatively benign impedance load (5.5ohms minimum) many tube amps will be compatible and it won’t be asking for more then a few volts at any given time. I drive mine with a 50wpc into 8ohm amp, it’s a $300 little kit from Akitika using opamps. It’s quite awesome and sounds excellent. I’ve never heard a speaker sound this good with such an inexpensive amp.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
KLIPSCH RF-7 III

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/shop/product/viewfile?FileId=4754&ProductId=937

"Klipsch claims an exceptional 100dB SPL sensitivity for its RF-7 III but our measured 92.8dB on pink noise suggests that figure might as well be plucked from the air."
If you take a closer look at the power handling of these speakers you’ll see that these Klipsh are not nearly as sensitive as you might think. They are current hungry in the presence and bass regions and drop down to 3.5ohms with a nasty phase angle! The manufacture claiming 100db sensitivity and an 8ohm impedance is disingenuous. Not to mention the other issues; the poorly designed crossover with a massive suckout at 1khz and the resonance issues. Even Tekton speakers might measure better! :D

It doesn’t get much better if you go to their audiophile Heritage line. The measurements Stereophile published for their Forte III review show, quite frankly, a speaker I hope I never have to hear.

Top Bottom