• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cyril Bateman's Capacitor Sound Articles

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Both classic articles from classic legends in the industry, thanks for finding and sharing!

Replacing the input cap on Hafler amps was one of my standard mods.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, thanks for posting. I've read and seen the articles before, but it's nice to read them again.

Sad to see Cyril has died. R.I.P.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
look at figure 8, and use your view button to increase the graph sizes, look at the one on the right, several of the worse caps in an amp channel could increase the thd+n enough to be audible with the right ears and music or test tones, and system I would think.

http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/products/pmlcap/technote.html

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
The capacitor in isolation. That level of distortion at LF is not such a problem.

A capable designer can work around it or choose a different capacitor, if necessary. :)

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The capacitor in isolation. That level of distortion at LF is not such a problem.

A capable designer can work around it or choose a different capacitor, if necessary. :)

Those LF distortions add up into the lower midrange and that's where they make their audible presence known. :)

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Experienced enough to steal my oscillator verbatim with no attribution. I could not have cared less BTW, I put all my audio stuff into the public domain.

Before or after?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Before or after?
Not sure what you mean, I have always done that from the beginning. In any case either you file a patent if you want to pursue financial gain from an idea or publishing it relinquishes all rights to the IP. In this case a simple thank you would have been enough, really.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Remember that coupling capacitors and those used in EQ & crossover networks are different ball games. There is almost no AC voltage across a coupling cap, but at some frequencies there can be lots of voltage across a EQ cap.

Top Bottom