• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Summer Afternoon Speaker Cables

Midwest Blade

Mogami W3103, 10ft pair, killed a couple of hours.

Attachments

• 48EAF0D1-46E4-4470-B2F9-20A35434BC52.jpeg
    48EAF0D1-46E4-4470-B2F9-20A35434BC52.jpeg
    874.5 KB · Views: 543

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good job for a good cable. There is nothing to "upgrade" after that, unless you're looking for bi-amp with the 3104..

Funny thing is I was just looking at a comment on Audiophonics saying this exact cable sounded "worse" with bananas...

It sounds less creamy and more plump than the bare cable... I should remove the plugs if I was you! :D;)

Oh, I forget to mention the guy realised that even after the burn-in period!

Last edited:

CuteStudio

Some people swear speaker cables make a difference but I've never heard any LOL. I do like cream however with strawberries :)

There was a fussy Naim amp that needed the right cables for stability, but I'm not a big fan of cheap class B transistors (or NFB circuits come to that) so I've not used it myself.

I find the most difference comes from what I play the my mood, HiFi is only about 10% of the experience IMO :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh...”less creamy and more plump”...”burn in”... are they talking about cooking. :)
I guess so.
Here is the original comment:
Moins bon que le câble nu
Joli câble avec une très belle finition, qui inspire la qualité.
Le système d'insertion des fiches bananes est original et bien pensé, mais pas toujours très efficace (des fois, les bananes tiennent mal alors qu'elles sont vissées pour rester fixes), mais ce n'est globalement pas grave.

J'avais une version en câble nu du Mogami 3103 et je désirais avoir une version avec fiches pour plus de facilité de manipulation.
Ce Mogami doté de fiches Elecaudio conserve globalement les qualités du 3103 nu avec un son plutôt calme dans le haut du spectre et un grave plutôt charnu. En revanche, il est moins onctueux, moins "gras" et un peu plus pointu dans l'extrême aigu. Bien sûr, cet avis est formulé après la période de rodage qui s'impose.
Certains préféreront peut-être, j'ai pour ma part une préférence pour le câble nu.
Néanmoins, ce câble fournit toujours une belle performance largement à la hauteur de certains modèles de marque extrêmement chers.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people swear speaker cables make a difference
It is even worse than just that. Some people swear it makes all the difference: "it's like I changed my amplifier or speakers", "The sound is night and day", "These bring all the smoothness I miss from my speakers and soundstage is now holographic" etc, etc...

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I guess so.
Here is the original comment:

Bien sûr, cet avis est formulé après la période de rodage qui s'impose. :facepalm:

How can we trust this guy, he doesn't specify the break-in duration: 10 or 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 hrs ...
Why are people so naive on extremely serious topics like this one? :)

OP
M

Midwest Blade

Truly amazing when you read the reviews, this is one of the reasons I have lost faith in many of the current crop of audio reviewers.

Anyways...it was a fun afternoon putting these together.

CuteStudio

Best to throw away the speakers and amp - if the cables are good enough they are not required.
More than one person has spent more on cables that the peripheral minutae such as speakers.

The fun new thing is USB cables for HiFi, people have been know to get quite upset when I laugh at that. For my last system I found a £2 USB adapter would reach so that brought the argument down to no cable vs magic cable :)

I must go adjust my magic ebonite sonic floor node anchors now though..

Top Bottom