• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables - help me understand the appeal?

Wombat

Master Contributor
According to Forbes 16,000,000 records were sold in 2018 ..... By definition the format provides utility to many people. I agree it is unexpected.

My comment was that your utility was not necessarily mine and I'll add, that of other vinyl users. Maybe you can show otherwise.

I am happy you get particular enjoyment from playing vinyl. :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
BTW, I think an interesting question would be:

Why bother with CDs?

I can get everything I want from FLACs, and have the option of getting high rez versions that I can't get via CDs. Plus the flexibility to make playlists, search on meta tags, etc.

Utility in my case. :rolleyes:

Wombat

Master Contributor
CD lovers will just say they love "the ritual" compared to playing FLACs.....:p

Some ritual: Take CD from case, put it in the player and hit play. Not enough there to start a religion. ;)

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For marketing purposes/show of good faith to the public/whatever, certain "backward compatibility"/"side compatibility" was enshrined in the standards/specifications for DVD and later for Blu-ray (also Toshiba's dead HD DVD, if anyone cares any longer lol). This helped these formats get off the ground, as buyers could already have a library of discs that could be played in the new equipment, and it allowed consumers to have one box that could do multiple things. Win/win situation. It is in the standards/specifications, so unless they re-negotiate among all the member companies to remove such playback, it will continue to be required as long as any company wishes to be a licensee for the formats.

The DVD standard requires playback of standard Redbook Compact Discs.

The Blu-ray standard requires playback of standard Redbook Compact Discs, and DVDs that comply with the standard DVD-video discs.

The players are not required to play home-burned discs, mp3 CDs, CD-RW, or other discs such as CD-i or SVCD or DVD-A or 3D Blu-ray, etc. However, many players will play a wide array of disc types beyond those required by the standards themselves.

If a DVD player or Blu-ray player won't play a standard Redbook CD, then it is either defective, or is non-compliant to the licenses for DVD or Blu-ray, and thus isn't technically even a Blu-ray player or DVD player.

As @Blumlein 88 mentioned earlier, some brands may not list every compatible disc on the outside of the box. And an anecdote about someone supposedly having a player that won't play CDs doesn't mean much. The person could be attempting to play an improperly-burned disc, or an mp3 disc that plays in some devices but not in others, or one of a multitude of other possibilities. It could be a fake/unlicensed/non-compliant Blu-ray player, or defective, or the person put the disc in upside down. lol

Regarding rot, I have over 3000 CDs, and have never owned or personally seen a bad disc. So much for my personal anecdote lol. Hyperion was known to have a problem with discs manufactured in a specific plant during a specific timeframe, but as far as I know, it's not a given that CDs will fail in that way. That said, it's not designed to be an archival format. "Forever" in "perfect sound forever" was a bit of marketing hyperbole. Certainly it's resilient compared to a cassette tape or LP that suffers wear/degradation with each play (I recall there was a turntable that used lasers rather than a needle, so I suppose that device would be an exception lol, but I've never seen one in action nor known of anyone who owned or used or saw one).

On the topic of this thread, I own three 1960s-era boxed opera sets on LP featuring Leontyne Price, which I found still factory-sealed and purchased to have as religious totems. I also bought the 20th Anniversary numbered LP of Mariah Carey's Butterfly as a show of support for her after that New Year's Eve debacle a while back. Not that she noticed my gesture of good will. hahaha! :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
CD lovers will just say they love "the ritual" compared to playing FLACs.....:p
There's nothing like losing a CD then having to buy it again to make you feel connected to ' the music' .

Better still forgetting you bought one then finding you have 2 of the same thing..

I also love looking up CD's that are bonkers expensive only to find the recording is available to stream for peanuts..

Don't get me started on the delights of the floppy disc sized leaflet that comes ingeniously tucked away in the most fragile plastic container known to man.

What's not to love ..

Wombat

Master Contributor
For marketing purposes/show of good faith to the public/whatever, certain "backward compatibility"/"side compatibility" was enshrined in the standards/specifications for DVD and later for Blu-ray (also Toshiba's dead HD DVD, if anyone cares any longer lol). This helped these formats get off the ground, as buyers could already have a library of discs that could be played in the new equipment, and it allowed consumers to have one box that could do multiple things. Win/win situation. It is in the standards/specifications, so unless they re-negotiate among all the member companies to remove such playback, it will continue to be required as long as any company wishes to be a licensee for the formats.

The DVD standard requires playback of standard Redbook Compact Discs.

The Blu-ray standard requires playback of standard Redbook Compact Discs, and DVDs that comply with the standard DVD-video discs.

The players are not required to play home-burned discs, mp3 CDs, CD-RW, or other discs such as CD-i or SVCD or DVD-A or 3D Blu-ray, etc. However, many players will play a wide array of disc types beyond those required by the standards themselves.

If a DVD player or Blu-ray player won't play a standard Redbook CD, then it is either defective, or is non-compliant to the licenses for DVD or Blu-ray, and thus isn't technically even a Blu-ray player or DVD player.

As @Blumlein 88 mentioned earlier, some brands may not list every compatible disc on the outside of the box. And an anecdote about someone supposedly having a player that won't play CDs doesn't mean much. The person could be attempting to play an improperly-burned disc, or an mp3 disc that plays in some devices but not in others, or one of a multitude of other possibilities. It could be a fake/unlicensed/non-compliant Blu-ray player, or defective, or the person put the disc in upside down. lol

Regarding rot, I have over 3000 CDs, and have never owned or personally seen a bad disc. So much for my personal anecdote lol. Hyperion was known to have a problem with discs manufactured in a specific plant during a specific timeframe, but as far as I know, it's not a given that CDs will fail in that way. That said, it's not designed to be an archival format. "Forever" in "perfect sound forever" was a bit of marketing hyperbole. Certainly it's resilient compared to a cassette tape or LP that suffers wear/degradation with each play (I recall there was a turntable that used lasers rather than a needle, so I suppose that device would be an exception lol, but I've never seen one in action nor known of anyone who owned or used or saw one).

On the topic of this thread, I own three boxed opera sets on LP featuring Leontyne Price, which I found still factory-sealed and purchased to have as religious totems. I also bought the 20th Anniversary numbered LP of Mariah Carey's Butterfly as a show of support for her after that New Year's Eve debacle a while back. Not that she noticed my gesture of good will. hahaha! :D

Well said. It is good to see a well stated, factual and informative post.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There's nothing like losing a CD then having to buy it again to make you feel connected to ' the music' .

Better still forgetting you bought one then finding you have 2 of the same thing..

I also love looking up CD's that are bonkers expensive only to find the recording is available to stream for peanuts..

Don't get me started on the delights of the floppy disc sized leaflet that comes ingeniously tucked away in the most fragile plastic container known to man.

What's not to love ..

wah wah wah....try threading a reel to reel tape, bitchez.

Oh, and rewinding it *before you play it* so you can store it tails out....

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, dead-on balls-accurate speed is number one. Wow and Flutter must also be very low. Resistance to load must be excellent. The beautiful turntables of today just don't get those parameters right.

Unfortunately this appears to be more widely spread than turntables, one of the side effects of the commoditising of good sound is that it seems there are a few vendors who don't see much point in doing the work to really get it right. In a sense it is fair enough to argue that once you achieve audibly transparency you have achieved the principal objective of audio reproduction equipment, and I have nothing against low cost equipment that is based on this premise. However it seems that some of the worst culprits are among high end vendors. To me the two reasons for buying expensive equipment are build quality (including luxury materials, good tactile feel, component quality etc) and satisfaction that regardless of what is necessary for audible transparency the design has real depth and has been developed to achieve maximum fidelity and measured performance. In today's market some manufacturers do that admirably such as Benchmark but when I look at some high end gear it is neither especially well made nor does it measure especially well, it is just expensive. We have an extreme example in that TotalDAC DAC which is badly designed, cheaply made and poor performing junk costing 13,000 euros, OK it's audible performance is probably fine but an Apple DAC costing the price of a sandwich delivers audible transparency and better design. Amplifier performance figures appear to be a bigger joke than they ever were, again I am sure they work just fine in the real world but some of them are not lower cost "cheap and cheerful" type products majoring on value but are selling themselves as premium products. In their 70's and 80's pomp the major Japanese outfits displayed almost anal attention to good build and measured performance for their higher end ranges and even the lower entry level series tended to be well made. I have a lot of respect for companies like Topping, the build quality of their gear won't worry Accuphase or Benchmark but they do offer good performance which displays a high standard of design for modest cost, but it winds me up to see so much expensive junk which sells on either badge snobbery or appeals to emotions.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
wah wah wah....try threading a reel to reel tape, bitchez.

Oh, and rewinding it *before you play it* so you can store it tails out....
..... And living with your mother in law for two months ......

Wombat

Master Contributor

What's not to love ..

That computer/ menus/ software/ service provider/ subscription/ internet dependency sort of thing. :facepalm:

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Unfortunately this appears to be more widely spread than turntables

Sadly, turntables are getting a free ride in terms of objective testing with most "reviews" barely scratching the surface of measurable parameters.

When did you last see a rumble figure for a turntable measured?
A speed deviation for applied load characteristics?
Arm/cartridge tracking ability tests?
etc. etc.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, turntables are getting a free ride in terms of objective testing with most "reviews" barely scratching the surface of measurable parameters.

etc. etc.

I suspect most of the people buying them in today's market wouldn't even know what any of that means or the significance (in fairness it's equally true for other parts of the hifi chain). The best defence against junk is to be an informed buyer.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I have an excellent relationship with my mother-in-law, she lives 8000 miles away.
" Hi darling , excellent news i know we live so far away so we don't get to see you both as often as we'd like but I thought I'd enjoy a little time away and come and stay with you both ,, for the winter, yea great I know, your father will be staying back home as he got work to do in the house, you know how it is.. I can't wait to have you both all to my self and it's about time I spent some quality time with that husband of yours ,, he reminds me so much of your dad when he was young .... ... .."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

etc. etc.
John, That's the dirty little secret of vinyl in this decade. No one dares talk about how badly it sucks in the technical performance department, both in the media itself and the playback vehicles. Better to just stick with how much fun it is to play with. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some ritual: Take CD from case, put it in the player and hit play. Not enough there to start a religion. ;)
Hey, my CD player is belt driven, has a manual door you have to slide open, remove the weighted damper disc, put the disc in, put the weighted damper on, close the door yourself and then push play. Should be enough for at least one of the new age religions don't you think?

Top Bottom