• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
My first post. Nice site & info! I bought a D50 last year based on praise here.
I'm wondering why there is no option for better quality/external power supply on this? It should make it better, no? I'd like to see it on a second generation along with Bluetooth. Cheers
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

This kind of PSU is already in DX7 and D70.

typericey

Veri

Master Contributor
Is this confirmed? Just want to make sure as I don’t see any mention of a linear power supply on the D70 product page. Unless toroidal is always equal to linear?
An external switching supply as opposed to an internal toroid one is how I see is often differentiated in lower/higher end gear, yes.

Switching psu can be totally fine though as with RME adi-2, modi3, many others... LPS are seen as some holy grail for whatever reason, perhaps unfairly so..

KingFiercer

I think it's just a mistake. Similar his lot is US 429$, and this one is AU 429$.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Almost tempted to buy one from that link, but don't need it, and don't want the hassle of trying to cancel if the seller ends up hitting me for $429 US instead of AU, a $200 difference.

Majestyk

Does anyone know if these Topping devices are electrically safe? Obviously they have no UL certification. Would the units with external power supplies be safer to use?

Berdugo

Hello,

I ordered the D70 and tested it for a few days, and compared it to my Gustard A20H dac, which also has dual AKM AK4497 chips, but uses dual-mono configuration. Both were used in a fully balanced config, with a Pro-Ject Head Box DS2 headphone amp, with the same AK4497 built-in filter called 'short sharp'.

I really wanted to try out the D70, thinking it could be an upgrade, but it wasn't. There was a little bit of increase in resolution with the D70, with slightly better separation between the instruments, but it definitely lacked general punch, bass was recessed (yet the A20H does not have artificially boosted bass), there was a bit of lack of treble extension and the soundstage sounded a tiny bit narrower. That was a big no for me. I could not enjoy the music as much. I'm not a believer in dac burn-in, so I'm going to send it back for a refund.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello,

I ordered the D70 and tested it for a few days, and compared it to my Gustard A20H dac, which also has dual AKM AK4497 chips, but uses dual-mono configuration.

The D70 is dual mono just as well. Also obligatory question: did you volume match properly in your comparison?

Berdugo

The D70 is dual mono just as well. Also obligatory question: did you volume match properly in your comparison?

Ok I did not know it was also dual-mono. And yes the volume was matched properly.
To be clear, I'm not saying the D70 sucks, it has pretty good feedback after all. All these differences were not extreme, maybe my post was a bit dramatic, but they were enough to put me off and make me go back to the A20H with "relief" every time.

zym1010

Forum Donor
Ok I did not know it was also dual-mono. And yes the volume was matched properly.
To be clear, I'm not saying the D70 sucks, it has pretty good feedback after all. All these differences were not extreme, maybe my post was a bit dramatic, but they were enough to put me off and make me go back to the A20H with "relief" every time.

I now have D70. Hopefully I would have similar feeing as yours if I should bought RME ADI-2 some day...

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

Someone here also mentioned D70 lacks at lows; anyway decided to wait for Sabaj D5 measurements. 114 of SINAD is claimed for DAC use, which is worth to give some time.

Majestyk

Burn in may apply to speakers/headphones but IMO I think it's hog-wash with electronics. As for as DAC differences, the way I see it is if there is a difference in sound between filters (Sharp, etc) then there is going to be a difference between DAC's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom