• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can two software players sound different from each other and why?

maty

Major Contributor
Days ago, Manjaro xfce 18.0.4 64 bits with Audacious I could not differentiate FLAC vs MP3 and 24/96 vs 24/44 FLAC. Very good sound (much better than foobar2000 in Win) but too much bass that hid details that I could hear from Windows with JRMC v24.0.78.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ich-flac-level-is-sufficient.7833/post-205242

index.php

index.php

maty

Major Contributor
Alone. The difference is too much to ignore.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Alone. The difference is too much to ignore.
Then try it blind sometime. See if the differences are there if they are too much to ignore.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The difference is too much to ignore.

If you noticed that in a proper blind test than it is a fact. If not than it is a (subjective) comment.

While subjective comments are free they are also pretty much useless. Facts indeed are in some way sacred. I suggest you stick to your moto more closely.

Tks

Major Contributor
Well I don't know too much about this, but I can say my RME passes the 32-bit perfect test with J-River, while failing it in Foobar2000. So there's that I suppose.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well I don't know too much about this, but I can say my RME passes the 32-bit perfect test with J-River, while failing it in Foobar2000. So there's that I suppose.

With so much content recorded in 32 bit depth this is of uttermost importance. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Guys that prefer sighted listening tests usually can not be persuaded to do proper blind tests. No matter how hard one tries to get them to test this way.
They have (to them valid) objections for blind tests and only trust sighted tests because ... well.. they get 'positive' results from their form of 'testing' and are convinced sighted is the only proper way to test.
Blind tests are flawed to them and never seem to show differences they can clearly hear so see no value in it.

Maty is never rude unlike some other members. He just tells it as he sees it using bolded and colorful emphasis and a (fake) authority.
Unfortunately he is also quite outspoken about things that are provable 'incorrect' and spreads info that is not in line with general ASR thinking.
Sometimes the info is even relevant (as in some 'optimized' pictures)
Too bad he isn't able optimize his listening test habits.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it pass at 24 bit?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Using a simple Linux system the player (mpd in my case) sends that bytes to ALSA and they go out via the USB. Nothing else is involved and nothing can sound different.
While it's certainly possible to configure that way, the defaults for most linux systems don't do that. They usually use some combination of ALSA's 'dmix' and 'plug' plugins and PulseAudio to convert to a sample rate and sample format that the sound device supports, and allow multiple applications to play sound at the same time.

simbloke

Forum Donor
While it's certainly possible to configure that way, the defaults for most linux systems don't do that. They usually use some combination of ALSA's 'dmix' and 'plug' plugins and PulseAudio to convert to a sample rate and sample format that the sound device supports, and allow multiple applications to play sound at the same time.
True, it's a dedicated box with a minimal install that does nothing else. No desktop, no Pulse Audio or anything.

maty

Major Contributor
The good thing about March Audio's "funny" comments, which are used over and over as personal disqualification, is that potential buyers of their products will ask about their behavior. It is a book example of what is harassment on the Internet.

Reactions: 617

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ok, some of this is a bit rude and comes across as bullying rather than a bit of fun. Many of us like a bit of mutual piss taking and that's grand but both sides need to be signed up to that.

That's not the case with @maty here , maty it's really hard to prevent this kind of thing when you come at us with such obviously bonkers ideas that you present with such certainty.

Help me help you , as iv asked you numinous times please think twice about what you post and try and keep it to provable hypothesis.

maty

Major Contributor
To say that not all software players on my systems sound the same is no nonsense. It would be if I generalized it, something I have never done. The others, who use the software they want, I tell my experience.

Disagreeing with someone never justifies bad education, harassment. Unfortunately it is something that was first generalized in social networks and then in forums, hence the new interesting content on the open Internet increasingly scarce.

Top Bottom