• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

sajunky

However, here we're having to do with a desktop orientated solution and therefore, I don't think that many users of the DX3 are going to use their desktop rig with iems, let alone with that low impedance ones such as the Andromedas.[/QUOTE]
My Sennheiser HD 4.40 BTNC has very low impedance, only 19 Ohms. I would use it on desktop amp if not on the road, but it is not good with version 2.

g_t_j

However, here we're having to do with a desktop orientated solution and therefore, I don't think that many users of the DX3 are going to use their desktop rig with iems, let alone with that low impedance ones such as the Andromedas.
My Sennheiser HD 4.40 BTNC has very low impedance, only 19 Ohms. I would use it on desktop amp if not on the road, but it is not good with version 2.[/QUOTE]

Have you actually tried it with DX3 V2?
From what I've read, results combining any given amp's higher output impedance with a lower impedance headphone can vary a lot.

Some don't like it at all claiming it destroys the character of their headphones while others end up liking it.
Depending on which headphone you use your mileage may vary.

Again, as for me, these are all speculations. I used to have a Hiby R6 but never had an iem or headphone of such low impedance to try it with.

sajunky

Have you actually tried it with DX3 V2?
From what I've read, results combining any given amp's higher output impedance with a lower impedance headphone can vary a lot.

Some don't like it at all claiming it destroys the character of their headphones while others end up liking it.
Depending on which headphone you use your mileage may vary.

Again, as for me, these are all speculations. I used to have a Hiby R6 but never had an iem or headphone of such low impedance to try it with.
I would like to try, but here in South Africa any shipment disappears in a Mandela proud Post Office dark hole and I can't afford international courier services. So I do depend on ASR reviews. However in the past Topping tried to convince me that Elna capacitors are the same quality as CAPXON (1st place on the badcaps list), a mysterious black oscilators chips are the same as $0.30 components found on Aliexpress and a ROM for an upgraded XMOS XU208 chip had been reduced in half. It could explain problems I am having with native DSD transfer on my upgraded version of Topping D30.

You can't see my complains on the D30 review page, but in this case I have to mention my experience, as this matter is much more serious nature, it will surely upset many customers.

g_t_j

I would like to try, but here in South Africa any shipment disappears in a Mandela proud Post Office dark hole and I can't afford international courier services. So I do depend on ASR reviews. However in the past Topping tried to convince me that Elna capacitors are the same quality as CAPXON (1st place on the badcaps list), a mysterious black oscilators chips are the same as $0.30 components found on Aliexpress and a ROM for an upgraded XMOS XU208 chip had been reduced in half. It could explain problems I am having with native DSD transfer on my upgraded version of Topping D30.

You can't see my complains on the D30 review page, but in this case I have to mention my experience, as this matter is much more serious nature, it will surely upset many customers.

I see. I definitely get your point and if they indeed raised output impedance of the headphone amp, it should put off many potential buyers.

deadchip12

One question for people who upgraded from their current dac amp to the dx3 pro: do you hear any improvement in sound quality? I came from the fiio e10k to the dx3 pro and I think the sound is more open and airy but that’s it. Not sure if it’s really worth 3x the cost, now with these problems in qc we have to deal with. My headphone is fidelio x2hr (most say this does not need a dac amp but I can easily tell the difference between the onboard sound an external dac amp; between 2 dac amps however is more difficult)

Maybe I should have gone for sth cheaper, but it’s almost impossible to find good budget dac amp that meets my criteria: usb port for pc, optical in port for ps4 (maybe not important), support 16 bit to work with Dolby Atmos for Headphone, low output impedance (to work with my 30 ohm x2hr), does not alter the sound signature of the headphone (I think fiio e10k is too warm sounding so it makes my already warm x2hr kinda muddy)

Last edited:

lator

One question for people who upgraded from their current dac amp to the dx3 pro: do you hear any improvement in sound quality?
I used portable solutions with my closed cans before DX3 Pro. For example compared with Dragonfly Red there is no contest in my opinion at least with the cans I have (Nightowl, Aeon Flow). More open, effortless and "bigger" sound overall, less harshness and sibilant as well. For reference settled using filter #3 (default) with DX3 Pro.

thomasjast

Spent hours listening to mine yesterday. It’s good, but not very different than my Asus board with ESS DAC and op-amps for the headphone output. It can certainly get louder, but that wasn’t a thing I was looking for for my money.

I’m using the headphone+preamp mode to drive both headphones and powered speakers (Harman Kardon Soundsticks III). I will say that being able to use the Windows volume control is the best, and if couldn’t, I’d not want the DX3 at all over my on-board solution.

deadchip12

Spent hours listening to mine yesterday. It’s good, but not very different than my Asus board with ESS DAC and op-amps for the headphone output. It can certainly get louder, but that wasn’t a thing I was looking for for my money.

I’m using the headphone+preamp mode to drive both headphones and powered speakers (Harman Kardon Soundsticks III). I will say that being able to use the Windows volume control is the best, and if couldn’t, I’d not want the DX3 at all over my on-board solution.

Yeah if your motherboard is a high end one with good audio components then the difference will probably be non existent. Mine is the asrock b360m pro4 which is a good budget one with the decent alc892 audio chip and the difference is not that noticeable honestly. Maybe the dx3 pro sounds more open and has a bit more details but it may just be placebo. I feel a bit stupid spending more than $200 to buy a dac amp for a $200 headphone that is easy to drive xD

thomasjast

Yeah if your motherboard is a high end one with good audio components then the difference will probably be non existent. Mine is the asrock b360m pro4 which is a good budget one with the decent alc892 audio chip and the difference is not that noticeable honestly. Maybe the dx3 pro sounds more open and has a bit more details but it may just be placebo. I feel a bit stupid spending more than $200 to buy a dac amp for a $200 headphone that is easy to drive xD

I feel you. I spent $450 on the motherboard with the best audio, $320 on the headphones and then added a $250 DAC that made no difference. What a great hobby!

(All prices in Canadian dollars, so you feel my pain)

sajunky

One question for people who upgraded from their current dac amp to the dx3 pro: do you hear any improvement in sound quality? I came from the fiio e10k to the dx3 pro and I think the sound is more open and airy but that’s it. Not sure if it’s really worth 3x the cost, now with these problems in qc we have to deal with. My headphone is fidelio x2hr (most say this does not need a dac amp but I can easily tell the difference between the onboard sound an external dac amp; between 2 dac amps however is more difficult)
Similarly, my D30 is much better to any on-board codec I tried. Some expensive mobos may come close, but the amount of noise inside computer case makes it very expensive do deal with.

Now there is another question: Do you really need such expensive DACs like D30 or DX3Pro? I think many people would be satisfied with $35-$50 USB dongles like Musiland MU1 meassured there, a new version MU2s, or an unknown quality Meizu HiFi dongle. A new chip CS43130 DAC with integrated headphone amp shows a great performance approaching desktop devices. Implementation is very simple, we will see more such devices on the market at low prices.

D30 sounds quite good, but I know very well, it could sound better if Topping didn't try to cut corners. At one moment I decided to never buy Topping anymore. The story behind DX3Pro v2 is different. They are trying to solve problems in a wrong way, they are completely misquided. I am sure that v2 is performing well, assuming impedance of your headphone is around 70 Ohms or bigger. However all others may be left in dire straits, especially those who have already ordered DX3Pro.

deadchip12

I’m testing the dx3 pro versus my 7-year-old tiny external dolby usb sound card (windows 10 pc, The Dark Knight 4k hdr, dolby atmos for headphone) . The sound card actually holds itself really well. I find it very difficult to notice a difference in sound quality between the two. One thing though: in scenes with explosions or loud noises I think I hear some faint cracking/distortion with the dx3 pro while it’s smooth on the sound card. That shouldn’t make any sense right? Not sure if it is because of the source or my sanity is slowly fading away. One thing I’m certain is I’m slowly losing my hearing after testing at loud volume back and forth for so long lol

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m testing the dx3 pro versus my 7-year-old tiny external dolby usb sound card (windows 10 pc, The Dark Knight 4k hdr, dolby atmos for headphone) . The sound card actually holds itself really well. I find it very difficult to notice a difference in sound quality between the two. One thing though: in scenes with explosions or loud noises I think I hear some faint cracking/distortion with the dx3 pro while it’s smooth on the sound card. That shouldn’t make any sense right? Not sure if it is because of the source or my sanity is slowly fading away. One thing I’m certain is I’m slowly losing my hearing after testing at loud volume back and forth for so long lol
It is possible to hear a few crackles if the buffer is set too low. Try increasing it.
In order to find a difference, I would concentrate on the bass. Isn't it a bit louder with the Topping? If not, then you already had a good soundcard.

deadchip12

It is possible to hear a few crackles if the buffer is set too low. Try increasing it.
In order to find a difference, I would concentrate on the bass. Isn't it a bit louder with the Topping? If not, then you already had a good soundcard.

Sorry what do you mean by buffer?

The bass seems to be the same. I can’t believe a $200 dac amp does not blow this mini sound card out of water (this is it btw:
FCCC8340-8BA5-46F3-A101-A88ACE650B72.jpeg

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry what do you mean by buffer?

The bass seems to be the same. I can’t believe a $200 dac amp does not blow this mini sound card out of water (this is it btw: View attachment 30539

It is the time you allow to your computer between reading the file and playing it. If it is too short, you might hear all sorts of crackes.
Go in your Topping control panel and try increasing it. From 50ms to 500ms for instance. You can reduce it back later.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bass seems to be the same. I can’t believe a $200 dac amp does not blow this mini sound card out of water (this is it btw:

If you have a good soundcard already, not only a 200$ DAC won't improve the sound, but a 14k$ totaldac neither.

thomasjast

This thread is teaching me to stick with the DAC solution you already have and add a JDS Atom for headphone use!

sonci

I think it will depend a lot on the speakers and amplifiers if you are not using headphones, with cheap desktop speakers the differences will be minimal.
Ears are important too, try to listen for some days to the dx3, do not abx, then get back to the old source, you will hear more difference if there is one of course..

deadchip12

It is the time you allow to your computer between reading the file and playing it. If it is too short, you might hear all sorts of crackes.
Go in your Topping control panel and try increasing it. From 50ms to 500ms for instance. You can reduce it back later.

This is my buffer setting. Not sure how I should change it.

7FFB6BD3-EC7C-40DD-96BD-50064F313E8C.png

deadchip12

Testing dsd playback on the dx3 pro. Headphone is fidelio x2hr, tracks are “The Best of Satana”, playback software is foobar2000. Not very impressed. Music sounds very closed to the ear, clarity is nothing revelatory. Nothing compared to the binaural stuff from Dr Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Test. I don’t understand when people say a headphone has a wide soundstage, what kind of audio file do they listen to? If it is just simple 2-channel non-binaural file, even in high quality dsd, I feel the soundstage is very narrow. Only the binaural tracks can give me that sense of spaciousness.

Top Bottom