• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

laidick

Forum Donor
I am able to use Android device with USB Audio Player Pro to stream native DSD to D70, in Pre+DAC mode, XLR out to power amp.
The sound is exceptionally better than using my AVM60 with PlayFi. No complain at all.

I am looking for getting Gustard U16 to hook with USB from Android, to I2S to D70. See if that would be better combo.

Any suggestion ?

wtsz

If you are concerned about USB jitter noise, you can try a USB reclocker HAT. Something like Allo USBridge I am using here. USBridge uses Sparky SBC host which is powerful enough to run fully fledged media server like Plex Media Server. I use DietPi operating system which supports native DSD streaming but Volumio is also an option. This makes my USBridge a complete self-contained media streamer (with a 1TB USB SSD drive attached), UPnP/DLNA renderer and USB transport solution which is tiny in size, completely silent, available 24/7 and does not break the bank either. Highly recommended.
I did not find the streaming data..

jacobacci

I have not read through the whole thread, so please bear with me if this question has been answered before.
The more recent AKM chipsets support "direct DSD" mode that bypasses all filters (hence no volume control).
This function is selectable in the RME ADI2 DAC. Can it be selected in the Topping D70 as well?

Bamyasi

I did not find the streaming data..
Not sure I understand the question but I am using Plex Media Server for streaming from my Allo USBridge. Works like a charm.

If you want to discuss this in detail I guess you should start a new topic since it definitely does not belong to D70 thread.

wtsz

Not sure I understand the question but I am using Plex Media Server for streaming from my Allo USBridge. Works like a charm.

If you want to discuss this in detail I guess you should start a new topic since it definitely does not belong to D70 thread.
Sorry,
I meant the sampling frequency

zym1010

Forum Donor

wtsz

I just received ToppingD70. Listening from yesterday, I can say that I spent my money well. Yesterday I listened in the DAC setting, today filter3 -12dB. Is this the best setting?

laidick

Forum Donor
I just received ToppingD70. Listening from yesterday, I can say that I spent my money well. Yesterday I listened in the DAC setting, today filter3 -12dB. Is this the best setting?

-12dB seems to have lowest noise / distortion on XLR.

Not sure about RCA.
Did Amir provide RCA measurement ?

typericey

-12dB seems to have lowest noise / distortion on XLR.

Is this assumption based on Amir’s IMD graph? I’ve been using mine for a week now at 0dB.

laidick

Forum Donor
Is this assumption based on Amir’s IMD graph? I’ve been using mine for a week now at 0dB.

Yes. Although I am not sure if using DAC mode would be better or worse than using PRE mode @-12dB.

typericey

Perhaps the experts can help out here. Given the IMD graph below shows the lowest distortion at around -12dB, what would be the best volume setting? Let’s assume that the albums listened to have a DR rating of between 6 to 12. Maybe this is all in the inaudible range but no harm in tweaking for best possible performance IMO.

542D9212-BA9E-402B-8640-056F6F433EE3.png

D70 XLR output stage.

Attachments

• d70 xlr output stage.jpg
    d70 xlr output stage.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 431

So, the load of the LME49720 is 420ohm in parallel with 23nF+22ohm. :eek::facepalm:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps the experts can help out here. Given the IMD graph below shows the lowest distortion at around -12dB, what would be the best volume setting? Let’s assume that the albums listened to have a DR rating of between 6 to 12. Maybe this is all in the inaudible range but no harm in tweaking for best possible performance IMO.

View attachment 30463

You would need two tones playing simultaneously at 0dBFS to trigger something at -96dB, this is:
- improbable
- inaudible.

Stick to 0dBFS and enjoy.

wtsz

Thank you for the analysis. I chose the DAC mode and I'm calm.:cool:

Very small resistors and big filter capacitors are premise for a very low noise but a simple op-amp, like OPA1612 or LME49720 can't keeping the ultra-low-distortion at high output voltages. The output current will be high enough to trigger the inside current limiter, to operate in B class, to operate with elevated temperature, etc... The mistake become from the AKM datasheet, where suggested is OPA1612. If you want to use very low resistors, then you can put, why not, more op-amps in parallel or op-amp+current buffer. In my opinion the AK4493 output stage is more realistic.

Attachments

• Topping D70 Balanced DAC IMD vs SMSL SU-8 Audio Measurements.jpg
    Topping D70 Balanced DAC IMD vs SMSL SU-8 Audio Measurements.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 323
  • ak4497.jpg
    ak4497.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 451
  • ak4493.jpg
    ak4493.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 454

edogawa

My first post. Nice site & info! I bought a D50 last year based on praise here.
I'm wondering why there is no option for better quality/external power supply on this? It should make it better, no? I'd like to see it on a second generation along with Bluetooth. Cheers

typericey

Welcome! Same story. I discovered ASR last year and got a D50 soon after.

Regarding the external power supply, probably wasn't the most sensible from a cost to benefit perspective.

Snafu

Properly working $5 wall psu or powerbank does the same as more expensive LPSU. There aren't real world audible differences.

I use Zerozone 5V/3A LPSU with D50 (and S) , it's cheaper than Topping's P50 (and gives 3A).

Top Bottom