• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj Da3 Dac compared to Dragonfly Black

Warbles

The schematics are usually commercial confidential. So its never published as a public domain shared information. So they do not exist in the wild. You can try your luck asking them for it but you won't likely ever get a reply for it.

Most of these SMT components are machine mounted. Very, very rarely and its almost unheard of that companies actually will do it by hand. Its usually only in special cases of repairs or recall rectifications that they ever invoke a worker to do mount such components.
Thanks again for your helpful responsiveness! Well I talked to the front person at Sabaj store and she said they would replace it under warranty but I'd have to pay the (tracked) postage as more than three months have now passed since I bought my DAC. From NZ here, despite the minimal weight, that never costs less than fifty five bucks.

So I find myself in a quandary as to what"s most worth doing here! I thought that, rather than worry you with my agonising over the fact that, as volume craver I think I may actually prefer (most of the time!) the terrific volume reserves and general oomph of a straight digital amp (I use the littlest Topping), I might ask you instead if indeed it is possible to acquire the kind of cable that would correctly connect the balanced output of the DA3 to a straight amp? Does such a one exist ?

As i think I mentioned before, I successfully connected the unbalanced output, but didn't have time to fully evaluate before ' getting greedy,' and wanting to try the balanced as well - with disastrous results ! (I did have the thought however that the unbalanced, when connected to the amp, if anything sounded kind of 'over amplified"?

The DA3 errs just too often on the side of clinical and even thin for my tastes (again, not all of the time, and the problem mostly lies I"m sure with all the myriad imperfections in older recordings)! Hey thankyou for hearing me out!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You got lucky there with the replacement. Good for you!

As for the output part, nope. ... 4-wire balanced output should only be connected to a 4-wire input amp.

If your amp only has a shared-earth 3-wire TRS 3.5mm / 6.35mm input jack, then only use the 3.5mm output from your Da3.

Warbles

Clarification greatly appreciated. But this is weird - on my phone there is a fourth paragraph concerning the applicable RCA L/R connections on back of Atom or O2, but here on PC I do not see it? How strange! Anyhoo, would you happen to know if the Monoprice Liquid Spark amp has the same arrangement ? I've 'had my eye on' that one as my next bold step into the realm of bigger, better aural sex, and this ability to hook up with DA3 might just be the clincher?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Revisiting this review,

@amirm , have you revisited/considered revisiting the SINAD and FFT numbers on 2.5mm TRRS output for this one ?

I only see the output figures for 50 Ohms load since.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its a DAC with a direct headphone output. So if you want to listen to your headphones/ earphones with it plugged to your laptop USB, its perfectly good.

But its not a normal "amplifier" that will accept a line-in signal from some other source to provide additional amplification power to the output. It can't function as a pure amplifier.

uzapuca

Thanks Maxxevv for the good info!
I was thinking in something portable for daily use for regular IEMs with a laptop. The NX4 has better reviews in the Amp camp but it is bulkier and more expensive. I do not know if it worth it.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Its battery free, so one less thing to worry about in the long term.

Performance wise, the NX4 measures better and has overall more power. But if its for IEMs, then the power won't make much of a difference, especially since the 2.5mm TRRS output on the Da3 is pretty high.

On my KZ ZS7 while doing work, I leave the volume at 4 /40 (+/-1) only for TRRS, on the 3.5mm jack, its about 8~10. So plenty of juice left.
For the CCA C16, between 5~6 mostly.

Size wise, its actually small enough to fit inside a spare TRN branded IEM case I had. So pretty compact.

BUT ... its not designed to be powered by a handphone should you intend to do that. It draws too much current.

The NX4 is a better candidate in that respect.

uzapuca

thanks again for the good tips Maxxevv,

So i understand for regular IEMs and laptos the Sabaj D3 it is a good option.

BUT ... its not designed to be powered by a handphone should you intend to do that. It draws too much current.
you mean you cannot use it with a smartphone? since the lacking of a battery, right?

Cheers,

maxxevv

Major Contributor
thanks again for the good tips Maxxevv,

So i understand for regular IEMs and laptos the Sabaj D3 it is a good option.

you mean you cannot use it with a smartphone? since the lacking of a battery, right?

Cheers,

It can be run by a handphone but it will suck its battery dry very fast...
Its basically an upsized dongle. :D

uzapuca

Good info indeed! :)
By the way, what do i need to use the balance 2.5 mm output? Could it be just by getting a 3.5 mm male to female 2.5 mm plug converter?
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0713PNTZ1/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue

I read in some forums that balance output might sound better but also carry more voltage and might fry my headphone and the laptop, is that right?

Last edited:

uzapuca

You need a dedicated cable.

Hi Maxxevv,
Any suggestion on eBay or Amazon of a dedicated cable for balanced sound? I guess i might need a special "balanced" output in the headphone amplifier too, right? I do not think the JDS Lab Atom version has one. ;)

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What IEMs are you using ?

I buy my balanced cables mostly from Aliexpress.

This cable is pretty well measuring and well priced, with different types of connectors to choose from. You either need the 2 pin or MMCX with 2.5mm balanced plug, depending on your IEM in use:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916162030.html

uzapuca

What IEMs are you using ?

I buy my balanced cables mostly from Aliexpress.

This cable is pretty well measuring and well priced, with different types of connectors to choose from. You either need the 2 pin or MMCX with 2.5mm balanced plug, depending on your IEM in use:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916162030.html

Thanks for the fast reply ;)

I have Shure SE215 and KZ ZSN. I have to check with connectors they have. Interesting info, indeed. Do you notice a significant difference in sound with a balanced output? maybe my IEM are just entry level and changing the cable will not make much change or might be mistaken.

Cheers,

Timbo2

Thanks for the fast reply ;)

I have Shure SE215 and KZ ZSN. I have to check with connectors they have. Interesting info, indeed. Do you notice a significant difference in sound with a balanced output? maybe my IEM are just entry level and changing the cable will not make much change or might be mistaken.

Cheers,

I have the Shure SE215s as well as this DAC. Shure uses what is called a MMCX connector. I can confirm these work just fine and are reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SHDYTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said there is no good reason to go balanced with this DAC and these IEMs. There is more than enough power using the single ended 3.5mm connector and the stock Shure cable is slightly more comfortable with the memory wire.

But no reason not to experiment if you want to do so. My expectation with a proper level matched blind test is no difference between the two cables.

uzapuca

I have the Shure SE215s as well as this DAC. Shure uses what is called a MMCX connector. I can confirm these work just fine and are reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076SHDYTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said there is no good reason to go balanced with this DAC and these IEMs. There is more than enough power using the single ended 3.5mm connector and the stock Shure cable is slightly more comfortable with the memory wire.

But no reason not to experiment if you want to do so. My expectation with a proper level matched blind test is no difference between the two cables.

Thanks for the good tip Timbo 2 :)
Good info on not buying a dedicated cable just for the sake of it if there will be no real difference in sound quality.

By the way, since you are a Shure SE215 user too, do you know of a substitute regular cable (not balanced) in case that i break mine? The original Shure is way to expensive and i am sure in Amazon or AliExpress there might be good choices as well. The thing is knowing some reliable vendor who sells a good quality cable at a good price.

Timbo2

Thanks for the good tip Timbo 2 :)

By the way, since you are a Shure SE215 user too, do you know of a substitute regular cable (not balanced) in case that i break mine? The original Shure is way to expensive and i am sure in Amazon or AliExpress there might be good choices as well. The thing is knowing some reliable vendor who sells a good quality cable at a good price.

I've found the Shure cable both durable and comfortable and haven't had to replace it.

Top Bottom