• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, you are not really an audiophile if you haven't done this:........... (fun thread)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
- knowing that hifi is the only excessive spending you never give consideration too, now the fact we need a new kitchen and or bathroom and it's half the price of your speakers but seems you just can't justify it , " sorry darling"..

^^^^ Oh this burning sabre of truth....

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dented a driver.

Quick story:

Had some big, heavy, expensive Thiel speakers at my home for a review years ago. Had been listening to them with the grills on, especially because I had a toddler at the time.

Not long after having them, on a Sunday morning I wanted to take the grills off for a listen. I noted that my little guy was at the back of the house with my wife. The listening room was at the front of the house, quite a ways away.

So I very gingerly took the grills off the R speaker and had moved to the back of the room setting the grills down carefully when I heard a rapid thump-thump-thumpity pattern of my kid running as fast as he could from the back of the house. I turned around just in time to see him run in, towards the speaker, then trip in front of it in to the drivers, putting his elbow in to one of them, leaving a big dent.

That grill had only been off for about 20 seconds...and that was all the time my son needed to get at the driver and do damage.

Kids are mini-chaos generators.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Replacing ribbons on a Maggie 2.5R

In the US Magnepan will sell you a drop-in replacement pair of ribbon assemblies. After removing 5 zillion staples to get the cover off you unhook the connectors, unscrew the old assembly, screw in the replacement, replace the connectors and send the old ribbon assemblies back to Magnepan. Replace the covers. Job done.

In the UK they send you a ribbon repair kit which consists of three paper backed coiled 40 inch ribbons, syringes, razor blades, loads of shims of varying thickness, metal ribbon supports and two types of silicone adhesive and a small length of ribbon on which to practice.

I planned everything out carefully, practiced handling the piece of ribbon, read all the instructions carefully etc

Taking a deep breath I fitted the ribbon supports, took my time uncoiling the ribbon, clamped it at one end, stretched it the required amount and clamped it at the other end. The ribbon is only a few microns thick and wants to go anywhere except in the magnet gap. But I managed it. So far so good.

I then fitted the appropriate shims to centre the ribbon between the bar magnets. I was feeling good about this. I then gently and very carefully put the tiny blobs of the first silicone about every inch or so along the edge of the ribbon taking my time. I let this dry a few hours and did the same for the second silicone. I left it overnight thinking I had cracked this. It wasn't as difficult as everyone made out.

Next day I very carefully removed the shims and then started removing the ribbon supports.....got to the last one and gently tugged to remove it.....and ping!.... the ribbon came with it. A tiny blob of silicone has dropped through onto the support. It could have gone anywhere, but it had to go right where it would do the most damage. I was devastated after all that care and planning.

Magnepan are not stupid when they send you three ribbons!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

v.koutensky

OK, you are not really an audiophile if you haven't plugged a rear basreflex of your speakers by pair of the socks to prevent wall echoes.

Nikke

Hi, I am Nikke and I'm an audict

Had some great laughs going through this thread, thanks for sharing
;)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Filled a large walk-in closet with gear that wasn't "nearly good enough to use" but was somehow "too good to let go of" at the same time. Kept something broken/bad sounding simply because there were memories attached to the acquisition and/or use of said component. Accepted less than optimal speaker placement in a given room... just to have multiple speaker/gear configurations "ready to go" depending on mood. Or spent so long moving a set of speakers that the time allotted for actual listening passed and you had to shelve the whole endeavor until another day.

Or obsessing over condition and keeping original packaging for "resale purposes" (after all that way it's never a waste of money)... only to never use them or have them be accidentally damaged/destroyed in the process of repackaging.

Nikke

It seems there are different levels of this inclination.
This audio gear hoarding business seems way more common than I would have guessed.

I have to confess though, being able to switch gear at the press of a button does appeal to me. Speaking of, what is considered good "switching gear"? Just to get my bearings that is.

edit: deleted ramblings

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using roomcorrection after 59 years and found out that all my music sounded way better than whitout.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... seen this man.

1565025681244.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Stolen ("leveraged") from a trumpet forum I help moderate... I think several of us can identify ("I resemble that remark").
---

I'm posting this with a heavy heart...

As much as I love audio components, they take up too much of my time and money, I am running out of space for all of them, and I am struggling to keep up with the everyday basics such as cleaning and maintaining my home. So, something has to give. I will be getting rid of my collection.

Below is a list of what's available. Serious inquiries only please.

Thanks for reading and understanding...

1. Dustpan and brush
2. Sponges
3. Dusters
4. Mop and bucket
5. Window cleaner
6. Vacuum
7. Dishwashing liquid
8. Laundry detergent
9. Fabric softener
10. Laundry baskets
11. Toilet brush
12. Cleaning sprays
13. Scrubbing brushes
14. Broom

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Dented a driver.

Quick story:

Had some big, heavy, expensive Thiel speakers at my home for a review years ago. ...
That grill had only been off for about 20 seconds...and that was all the time my son needed to get at the driver and do damage.
Kids are mini-chaos generators.

The next generation is always worse than us!

typericey

Anyone take whiffs of a brand new amplifier (typically Japanese brand, made in China) after turning it on for the first time and letting it warm up?

I love that new amp smell. Usually lasts for a few days. Smells good out of the box, even better when it’s warm and toasty.

Nikke

Anyone take whiffs of a brand new amplifier (typically Japanese brand, made in China) after turning it on for the first time and letting it warm up?

I love that new amp smell. Usually lasts for a few days. Smells good out of the box, even better when it’s warm and toasty.
I think you might be hooked on the cleaning detergent aroma :)

invaderzim

- Bought many DACs only based on subjective reviews saying "It sounds better than a lot of products that cost XXX€s more".

I've bought many low to medium end components and add-ons based on subjective reviews like that when I could have bought one quality component that would have lasted years, even decades, instead. A couple thousand for an amp sounds crazy expensive but all that little useless junk and duplicates can easily add up.

- Believed that last sentence for many many things. Now, I get sick each time I read it.

I'm the exact same way. My body has an allergic reaction to the hype now.

Top Bottom