• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You obviously need a dedicated mains phase, if you don't have one for your audio equipment, why are you even signed up on an audio forum?! :rolleyes:
No, no, no
You need you own power source. Solar panels, wind turbine and a large array of batteries to source your AC from. The stuff that the power companies provide is so unclean that a separate main phase wont help anyway.

(This is sarcasm, if someone missed it)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, how are those WBC Amphenol/Canare short RCA interconnect cables working out? Sturdy and noise-free?

As soon as they are back in stock, I will order a pair of their balanced 3 foot Amphenol/Canare XLR cables for about $26 from Amazon to use between my Topping DX7s and my soon-to-arrive Classe Model Seventy amplifier. They seem to be the best deal for high-quality cables at Amazon.

WBC Canare 3ft XLR.jpg

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
I can not recommend the Amphenol XLR version (got the WBC StarQuad version with Amphenol XLR). The 'nose' or hook on the female plug sits too high, it is a real hassle to remove the plug from any male socket. I would use the Neutrik Gold connectors instead.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can not recommend the Amphenol XLR version (got the WBC StarQuad version with Amphenol XLR). The 'nose' or hook on the female plug sits too high, it is a real hassle to remove the plug from any male socket. I would use the Neutrik Gold connectors instead.

Thank for the heads-up. I will instead - for about the same price - buy a pair of the Vitrius 3-foot cables. I am tempted to buy the Mogami/Neutrik Gold cables, but they cost more than twice as much.

Vitrius XLR Cable.jpg

Hypnotoad

No, no, no
You need you own power source. Solar panels, wind turbine and a large array of batteries to source your AC from. The stuff that the power companies provide is so unclean that a separate main phase wont help anyway.

(This is sarcasm, if someone missed it)

Sadly on some forums they would take your advice and run with it.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You only buy cables to see the beautiful craftmanship and the beautiful litz wiring. Just don't expect them to sound noticeably different than your stock headphone cable. Lovin how my litz cable looks with my IEM

48207545891_c37bd625ca_k_d.jpg

Theo

You only buy cables to see the beautiful craftmanship and the beautiful litz wiring. Just don't expect them to sound noticeably different than your stock headphone cable. Lovin how my litz cable looks with my IEM

Not just the look, I choose the cables on their build quality, especially how well the connectors are attached... I don't expect any sound difference though as long as they don't break...;) The difference becomes quite noticeable theno_O

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not just the look, I choose the cables on their build quality, especially how well the connectors are attached... I don't expect any sound difference though as long as they don't break...;) The difference becomes quite noticeable theno_O

I feel that the boutique cables are much more fragile to be honest as I don't see a strain relief in most designs. I treat mine like a regular cable regardless though.

Wombat

Master Contributor
You only buy cables to see the beautiful craftmanship and the beautiful litz wiring. Just don't expect them to sound noticeably different than your stock headphone cable. Lovin how my litz cable looks with my I

You are obviously not a Mysophobiac with such a grease and grot collector. :facepalm:

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are obviously not a Mysophobiac with such a grease and grot collector. :facepalm:

Definitely not lol. My grease and grot are mine anyways haha. I actually treat my IEM and cable like a regular person that treat their earpods the same. BTW, I listen to my IEM on average 5 hours a day everyday.

typericey

Just skimmed over 26 pages of this thread and honestly disappointed learning about Blue Jeans selling out. I just bought Belden XLRs from them and they haven’t even arrived!

allhifi

Companies selling expensive cables have a problem that someone may take them home and have it do nothing to sound. So they tell you to keep using them/burning them in. That will stop them from being returned immediately. Returning gear at a much later date becomes harder/more guilt ridden. So that by itself benefits the supplier. Importantly, our moods and attention to what is played changes over time and they can and usually get lucky with the listener all of a sudden thinking the cable is making a difference.

For a cable being sold for the cost of parts, none of this pandering is necessary. Nor would the typical customer buying them is into such concepts as "burn in." For these reasons, I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition to justify creating this thread.

amirm: May I ask how many years experience you have with audio 'cables': how many you used/connected, how many systems, how many people were involved -and over how many years, or decades ?

Once you inform us, I'll reveal my experiences/expertise -but more importantly (to some readers) that of actual non-audiophile/high-end customers
remarks/thoughts on very readily observable SQ distinctions, along with their experience using, well respected/received premium-priced cable.

peter jasz

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
amirm: May I ask how many years experience you have with audio 'cables': how many you used/connected, how many systems, how many people were involved -and over how many years, or decades ?

Once you inform us, I'll reveal my experiences/expertise -but more importantly (to some readers) that of actual non-audiophile/high-end customers
remarks/thoughts on very readily observable SQ distinctions, along with their experience using, well respected/received premium-priced cable.

peter jasz

Acoustic transparency consultant?

This could get entertaining...but probably not...

This just makes me sad...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

peter jasz

Oh, a snake oil salesman! Woo hoo, fresh meat!

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

peter jasz
This going to be fun. Making popcorn as I'm writing this.

kn0ppers

I just bought 10m of cheap cable from AliExpress, not even 2 dollars per meter. I was skeptical about the quality at first, but some russian guy in the reviews said the insulation looked like a condom to him, at that point I knew I needed this . The condom insulation is necessary, because the acoustic potency of the cable is very high.

Jokes aside: Seems like someone needs a null-tester or watch Ethan Winers video a couple of times.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

peter jasz

As you can see, you are in enemy territory. Honestly, there is such overwhelming evidence that perceptions of sound quality in cables is not strictly *audible*, the burden of proof is on you, not Amir's resume. Nothing short of a properly designed blind test is acceptable. Until you can demonstrate a difference, people here will just go with the odds and assume you are making it up. From a Bayesian perspective, they are correct to do so.

Top Bottom