• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Grace Design Balanced DAC

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wonder if such a passive pre-amp / converter with volume control would maintain true balanced connection:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/prea...ter-rca-to-xlr-xlr-to-rca-silver-p-12360.html

The internals would appear to have enough traces to and from the (assumed) multi-gang pot to support such functionality.

1564215007080.png

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review amirm.
It can't be any good though because it doesn't cost $13000.;)

graz_lag

Major Contributor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is that combo 3.5 mm coax/toslink which I don't like as I seem to never find my special cable for that.
The DAC comes with a COAX to 3.5mm adapter.
Then, 3.5mm to SPDIF optical cable are very easy to find.
This is not an issue in my book, considering this is the cheapest balanced DAC to my knowledge.

Nango

Major Contributor
Is the balanced out that you find on certain DAP (Astell, Onkyo, etc.) most of them on a 2.5' TRRS connector actually the same (balanced) circuitery than those on XLR plugs?

Ryok82

I am having difficulties deciding between D50s and this Grace Design Balanced DAC.

Who to pick if you do not use the balanced ports?

I am planing to use it with Sennheiser HD660s and with a JDS atom amp to begin with. Could be that i upgrade the atom later to a DROP + THX AAA™ 789 LINEAR AMPLIFIER later.

CRKebschull

Forum Donor
I bought the original one from Douk Audio some time ago, it comes with an Alps 27 as well as the XLR connections from Neutrik.
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Douk-Audio-...916711?hash=item3d3ac3d167:g:cQcAAOSwX61ZE7d3

I've mentioned these on here before, but this is exactly what they are good for:

Mackie Big Knob Passive. Fully balanced as well as single-ended, using TRRS and TRS connectors. I soldered myself some Neutrik / Reen XLR - RCA cables to do ABX testing (with the help of my lovely assistant) of two different DACs. I don't in fact have more than one source (a DAC) going to one pair of NC400 mono-block amps, so the "big knob" is used to help level matching two test sources.

FireLion

Looks like a nice little unit and thanks for showing us it to be a competent design. I'm leaning to the SU-8 v2 but also considering this as an option.

Tks

Major Contributor
Well theoretically speaking. Someone can remove some features of dx3pro and make it cheaper. And the performance(measurements) isn't really that amazing tbh. Just competent and no flaws.
Sadly the new v2 has broken the goodness. The tpa6120 in the output stage imply 10ohm of output impedance which is not ideal(there is a mod that could be done posted on dx3 thread).

I don’t get the point of the statement though. Theoretically, someone should have done this already but hasn’t, going by that logic. And “taking out features” defeats the purpose of my statement. The point is parity, and when that is taken into consideration the DX3 Pro doesn’t seem like it has any competition all things considered.

The Opamp change kills it somewhat though sadly I agree.

sonci

Any chance for THD + N vs frequency graph? It seems the only test these cheap dacs don't get right.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any chance for THD + N vs frequency graph? It seems the only test these cheap dacs don't get right.
Sure:

Massdrop Grace Design Balanced DAC THD+N vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png

To see why it is so elevated I ran an FFT 1 Khz using the same 90 kHz bandwidth:

Massdrop Grace Design Balanced DAC 1 kHz Audio Measurements.png

The ultrasonic tones around the sampling rate of 48 kHz is causing the high THD+N.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Looks like another great DAC for the price. Considering its balanced and most everything balanced is much more expensive...

The only downside being linearity which looks to be only around 16.5b?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like another great DAC for the price. Considering its balanced and most everything balanced is much more expensive...

The only downside being linearity which looks to be only around 16.5b?

The linearity does get a little "wiggly" below about 100dB, but using Amir's normal standard of +/- 0.5dB, if I read the graph correctly it's got about 18 bits' worth of resolution. There are three peaks that look to be right at +0.5dB - it depends what you think of Amir's standard and whether those three data points are right at, or slightly above, +0.5dB in the graph.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time I see that Grace name I wanna ask where the tone arm mounts on the thing.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
.wtf just happened... didn't eman to reply all others.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did Niagra try to buy Grace Design - I think not!
You'll have to help me out here. Who are Niagra?
I don't think I mentioned anyone trying to buy anyone so I fail to see the point you are trying to make.

Top Bottom