• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Willem

Major Contributor
Bluray discs have a stereo mix and the deep bass on those is really deep. Nothing is missing.

OP
X

xavier

Bluray discs have a stereo mix and the deep bass on those is really deep. Nothing is missing.
Ah fair enough, I was thinking in terms of a surround signal source, and in scenarios such as streaming services where sometimes the stereo mix seems to be not ideal, or made for regular TV speakers. I wonder how reliable the stereo mix would be on popular streaming services, judging from informed sources. My personal subjective experience hasn't been great.

OP
X

xavier

It depends on the location of your sub, the crossover (Butterworth/LR) and the distance from the satellites.

I was definitely able to locate the sub no matter what I did. I listen in a desktop environment with KEF LS50. I have about 80cm - 1m stereo triangle. When I had the sub off to the side or even under the desk, it was always noticable.

I eventually built DIY subwoofers as stands for the LS50 - this solved 2 problems in one. I have the tweeters at ear height and my subwoofers in front of me, directly below the satellites.

Moving from 12dB filters to 24dB also made a massive improvement. "You can't locate a sub" is definitely wrong. Currently, I cross over at 100hz, since I can afford to now.
I guess a lot of things might have been happening there, including harmonics or distortion from the sub itself within localization range, a tonal change based on being under a desk which aid your ears in locating, maybe other aspects such as vibrations from the furniture around you, including desk. Just a guess. Glad you have it under control now though.

A good point is regarding crossover slope, and whether it being not steep enough if I venture into 100Hz would result in too much sound over 100 Hz going through it. Assuming they are not dual subs directly beneath the mains, in which it case doesn't matter if you can localize.

Top Bottom