• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS50 vs LS50W measurements (r300 vs R3 too)

sfdoddsy

I've been looking for comparative measurements for the popular KEF bookshelves and finally found basic ones on the German Stereo magazine site.

Thought folks here might find them interesting too.

KEFs.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those R300 measurements don’t look accurate at all.

They're squished horizontally and heavily smoothed, but consistent with what I've seen (from a trusted source but not public). The midrange dip is real, and quickly audible.

OP
S

sfdoddsy

Here is the R300 vs LS50 in my room. Average of 6 measurements (listening window style) from 1m.

R300 is green.
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 12.36.13 pm.png

OP
S

sfdoddsy

Sorry, I keep meaning to fix it. It's the compensation file from REW with my UMIK mic. I don't think it is right.

Here's a listening position measurement (with subs) with and without the compensation.

Attachments

• LS50 comp.jpg
    LS50 comp.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 561
  • LS50 no cal.jpg
    LS50 no cal.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 654

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to ask but what are the measurement conditions? Short vs long sweeps etc? Gating window? In the first graph you measure from 1 meter, what is the gating window? Normally it is best to start with the direct response of the speaker without the room.

OP
S

sfdoddsy

Sorry to confuse people, but my measurements weren't really meant to be anything more than quick and dirty to show the comparison between the two speakers, and that they track the other measurements I posted.

I measured at 1m using a grid starting on the tweeter axis and then in an approx 30cm box. REW them averaged these measurements.

I used the default REW sweep, which from memory is 5 seconds or so.

mykeldg

are you on a high pass filter? I just noticed the r300 bass freq in your measurements are almost the same as ls50 -- should they reach much lower in the bass region?

mykeldg

Also, which one do you prefer between the ls50 and R300? I currently have the Q350 and am pondering my next upgrade path.

Thanks in advance.

OP
S

sfdoddsy

The modes in my room boost the LS50 down low.

You get a better idea of the extra extension by looking at what happens from 150 down to 60.

IMHO, the LS50 has issues even with a sub.

Here's a more carefully done comparison from my listening position with an 80Hz crossover to my servo sub. The sub has been EQed.

The dip just above the xover is because the LS50 starts rolling off at about 150Hz. The R300 (even with port plugged) does not.

So I would pick the R300 as it has a fuller range without a sub, and blends better with a sub.

I would pick the LS50 if you only listen to small scale music, your room has big bass boost, or for aesthetics.

But were I putting my money on the table (which I may be soon) I wouldn't get either.

I'd get the R3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom