• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desolder USB type-C jack and solder a Type-B instead on my Khadas tone board

Nobunaga

Hello

I know many here in the forums don't share my opinion and that's cool so no need to have debate about it, but i wish to use a different cable than the off the shelf cable that comes with the Khadas. I already own a very good USB cable which has a Type-B plug and i prefer not to use an adapter because they are cheaply made and would maybe degrade sound quality.

Would it be possible to desolder the USB type-C jack from my Khadas Tone Board and solder a USB type-B jack instead?

I am not sure if it's possible with SMD tecnology.

Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure why, works for me.

It's basically a 1-inch USB-A Male to USB-C Male Cable / Adapter.

Amir has shown that the single greatest factor in USB cable performance is how short it is.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

Not sure why, works for me.

It's basically a 1-inch USB-A Male to USB-C Male Cable / Adapter.

Amir has shown that the single greatest factor in USB cable performance is how short it is.

Frankly, i don't care about the measurement part, as i have already stated. I am just interested if it's possible to desolder and resolder.

Roen

Frankly, i don't care about the measurement part, as i have already stated. I am just interested if it's possible to desolder and resolder.

You'd probably have to change the port header too.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

What if i would use adapters? i only found one that goes from C to B female in Egypt xD or i would have to use one USB-C male>USB a female and then a USB A male--> USB B female

But i am afraid that would degrade sound quality by a lot. WHat do you think?

38d11bb515e8cf3aab551fa11ed5420d03a564f1 (1).jpg
455008.jpg
adapter-female-usb-b-to-male-usb-a.jpg

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

But why are there no adapters from C to B is there a technical reason? the only adapter i found is in freaking Egypt

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
But why are there no adapters from C to B is there a technical reason? the only adapter i found is in freaking Egypt
Why not just buy a cable? There are a bunch of cables available with USB-C to whatever B type you want: B, Mini-B, Micro-B.

Otherwise, USB-C to A to B should be fine.

Roen

B to C only works in a male-to-male fashion, if it's spec compliant, as a cable.

Before C, USB ends had roles, A would connect to hosts, and B would connect to clients.

When C came out, you'd adapt the host side, because that would be where most of the conversions would happen. Consequently, there wasn't much of a demand to adapt the client side. They figure once C clients come out, you'd connect it to a C host, or an A host adapted.

Last edited:

Dant

What if i would use adapters? i only found one that goes from C to B female in Egypt xD or i would have to use one USB-C male>USB a female and then a USB A male--> USB B female

But i am afraid that would degrade sound quality by a lot. WHat do you think?

View attachment 29556View attachment 29557View attachment 29558
No, no, absolutely do not do this. That USB A-to-B adapter is a massive spec violation and plugging it into a USB C-to-Female-A adapter has a high chance of breaking something because the female A adapter puts the USB C port into host, not device mode. Even if it doesn’t break anything, it won’t work.

You can’t just resolder a USB-C port to a USB-B or Micro B without also using the correct resistor configuration that a proper adapter would have anyway. In the interest of safety and not killing your devices, I strongly recommend you just buy a new USB-C cable, or at least use an adapter. Adapters of this type do exist: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Anker-Converts-Resistor-ChromeBook/dp/B01AHKYIRS

Roen

No, no, absolutely do not do this. That USB A-to-B adapter is a massive spec violation and plugging it into a USB C-to-Female-A adapter has a high chance of breaking something because the female A adapter puts the USB C port into host, not device mode. Even if it doesn’t break anything, it won’t work.

You can’t just resolder a USB-C port to a USB-B or Micro B without also using the correct resistor configuration that a proper adapter would have anyway. In the interest of safety and not killing your devices, I strongly recommend you just buy a new USB-C cable, or at least use an adapter. Adapters of this type do exist: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Anker-Converts-Resistor-ChromeBook/dp/B01AHKYIRS
Just to piggyback on this, once USB-C came out, especially with the higher potential current loads, you can't just willy-nilly adapt everything like you could before without opening yourself to unexpected loads and breakage.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Double check this on the khadas forum before taking my word for it, but I think you can use pins 2-5 on the VIM header connected to a Type B socket as an alternate USB input.

OP
Nobunaga

Nobunaga

Double check this on the khadas forum before taking my word for it, but I think you can use pins 2-5 on the VIM header connected to a Type B socket as an alternate USB input.

Thats interesting, thanks!

A guy on linus tech tips forums said that it would also be possible to solder the cable or a Type B socket here

Attachments

• 5qDZowC (1).png
    5qDZowC (1).png
    366.3 KB · Views: 167
Top Bottom