• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rapinoe has courage.

Fregly

Yes she speaks a kind of bratty irrational nonsense being oppressed by supply and demand. The numbers for comparison of the previous world cup shows mens game at over 10x the revenue and audience numbers.

Oh I see above the American numbers are close to equivalent. Though I am skeptical of this as usually there is quite a disparity in interest.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no idea this was the case , you never really hear about the woman's game over here the MLS has a higher profile.
I noticed a much higher level of interest for this world cup than previous ones, the sort of interest that might mean something long term. I see no reason for it not to be popular, other sports like tennis manage it fine, and I'd generally rather watch women's tennis than men's.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate the more interesting game, as well as the asthetic.
Yes, me too. I once liked men's tennis, but it has become something of a smash power game, and most women's games feature more finesse and strategy, and more returns during play. That some of them are nicer to look at isn't a negative of course.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That some of them are nicer to look at isn't a negative of course.

I used to be married to a nationally ranked college volleyball player. She was delighted that I'd go to all the Santa Barbara beach pickup games she played. She thought it was very supportive and selfless of me.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on the QB. Muss Tom Brady's hair by running by him too closely and creating a breeze, 15 yard penalty. Smash Ben Roethlisberger in the face and break his nose, it's incidental contact and no foul.
I thought this was a science-based site. TB and BR have almost the same roughing/1000attempts: 0.42/1000 for TB and 0.39/1000 for BR. Compared to 0.73/1000 for Cam Newton, 1.06/1000 for Ryan Fitzpatrick.
http://www.nflpenalties.com/roughing-the-passer-by-qb.php?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was mostly joking anyway, but I agree I wouldn't take much away from the stats. The one thing I would take away from them is that there is no indication that Tom Brady is a protected player (well, he is, but I mean protected more than other QBs!)

P.S. while I am posting I should say I am with the players taking a stance against the president, and also the folks chanting in the pub! Politics, I know, but it is somewhat the point of the thread.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Don't EVER say that in front of my wife. She'll start rattling off play after play where she thought TB was treated as special.

Also, don't ever marry a women who is an avid football fan and has a photographic memory!

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't EVER say that in front of my wife. She'll start rattling off play after play where she thought TB was treated as special.

Also, don't ever marry a women who is an avid football fan and has a photographic memory!
My wife won't have anything to do with NFL. There must be some happy in-between!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My wife won't have anything to do with NFL. There must be some happy in-between!

On the bright side, for my birthday two years ago, she got us tickets to Packers-Ravens at Lambeau. Row 10, 50 yard line. Cold day, lots of alcohol. She's a Packers fan, I'm a Ravens fan.

30-0, Ravens. It was a good day.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Grew up north of Baltimore, rooting for the Colts. Couldn't stand rooting for Indy, though, so some years later I found myself in NH and Bill Parcells got me rooting for New England. Favorite Colts game attended live was playoffs vs Raiders (loss, but amazing game Bert Jones and Ken Stabler). My favorite Pats game attended live was playoff game against Tennessee (win) cold enough that the beers were freezing.

Do you remember when the plane crashed into the seats in Memorial Stadium after the Colts lost to the Steelers in the payoffs? (no I did not attend that game)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Grew up north of Baltimore, rooting for the Colts. Couldn't stand rooting for Indy, though, so some years later I found myself in NH and Bill Parcells got me rooting for New England. Favorite Colts game attended live was playoffs vs Raiders (loss, but amazing game Bert Jones and Ken Stabler). My favorite Pats game attended live was playoff game against Tennessee (win) cold enough that the beers were freezing.

Do you remember when the plane crashed into the seats in Memorial Stadium after the Colts lost to the Steelers in the payoffs? (no I did not attend that game)

So you were in Towson or Cockeysville?

My dad did cartoons for the Colts's weekly magazine and did a strip about that plane crash. And I think the Colts/Raiders game you mentioned was the double overtime? Jones to Carr was a freak show of passing.

Because of his connections, I had a sidelines pass at Memorial Stadium for many years when I was a kid. Got to see Unitas, Berry, Matte, Moore, Marchetti, Ameche, Donovan, Curtis, and the rest of that gang close up. It was wonderful. Most of them were extremely nice to me, but I'll admit that I was scared to death to ever approach Mike Curtis.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, Harford County near Bel Air. Almost hillbilly country when I was a little kid, now mostly big box stores everywhere.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to be married to a nationally ranked college volleyball player. She was delighted that I'd go to all the Santa Barbara beach pickup games she played. She thought it was very supportive and selfless of me.
I prefer women's vollyball for the same reasons. Especially beach.

I dated a college women's vollyball player. But that was a couple years before they offered scholarships to women in athletics. Unfortunately the college wasn't near a beach. You lucky devil.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kevinh

Well both my daughters played sports 1 at a Division 1 level. So The Women's national team draws well here in the US.
However the pool of money for the World Cup is very different for the men's and women's teams. $400M for the men's world Cup, and 30M for the women's world Cup. This has to do with international revenue which is very meager for women's Soccer relative to the men's game.
Even in the US compare the number of people attending a women's professional game relative the the number of people and revenue generated by MLS. Compare the ticket prices for the respective leagues.
There were contracts negotiated in 2017 for the women's team, they should not have agreed to the contract if they didn't feel it was fair. Perhaps when the next contract comes up in 2021 their reps will do a better job.
BTW the TV ratings for the 2019 WC finals were DOWN 44% for the 2015 final. In larger part this was due to the behavior of the team at the World Cup/ The ratings should have been higher due to the continued success of the team. Perhaps they should look in the mirror.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW the TV ratings for the 2019 WC finals were DOWN 44% for the 2015 final. In larger part this was due to the behavior of the team at the World Cup/ The ratings should have been higher due to the continued success of the team. Perhaps they should look in the mirror.

I'm sure the fact that the 2015 World Cup was on the US border in Canada had nothing to do with the heightened interest that year.
Also, for patriotic Americans the word "Fox" has become kryptonite, for obvious reasons.

What were the highest ratings for a men's soccer game in the US? What about an MLS game?

Furthermore, for revenue fan intensity matters more than viewership numbers. Nike is much happier this year than they were in 2015, or from any soccer team or player anywhere ever.

Speaking of jerseys and continuing the thread's commingling soccer and football, here are all the athletes whose jerseys I've purchased or requested as gifts since I was a kid.

Darrell Green
Doug Williams
Brian Mitchell
Champ Bailey
Sean Taylor
RGIII (we all make mistakes)
Trent Williams
Jordan Reed
Megan Rapinoe

Which one is different from the others?

kevinh

Down 44% is down 44%. I would also observe the positive media attention due to Rapinoe's politics.

Did YOU skip the finals due to it being on FOX, note not Fox News.

Top Bottom